texas teen faces 8 years in prison for making 'terrorist threat' on league of legends.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
http://www.forbes.com/sites/insertc...years-after-violent-league-of-legends-threat/

League of Legends is currently the most popular game in the world with 30M+ monthly players, dwarfing most of its competition. It’s a fun title, but can have a dark side to it, namely its often toxic player base that can hurl abuse at unskilled players, or simply because they feel like it. It’s a part of the game, and though it’s irritating, isn’t anything to be particularly concerned about.

But on occasion, online misbehavior goes too far. Such is the case with Justin Carter, a teenager from Texas who has been jailed since February for something he said during a game of League of Legends. The quote? After being called “insane” by another player, Carter responded by saying:

“Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.”

Though his comments were immediately followed by “jk” and “lol,” the threat was disturbing enough for Justin’s address to be tracked down. When it was revealed he lived near an elementary school, and this was taking place mere months after Sandy Hook, the authorities were contacted and Carter was arrested. He’s been in jail ever since, spending in 19th birthday behind bars for “making a terrorist threat.” If convicted, he could spend eight full years in prison for the comment.

His father says the potential punishment doesn’t match the crime:

“These people are serious. They really want my son to go away to jail for a sarcastic comment that he made…Justin was the kind of kid who didn’t read the newspaper,” said Jack Carter. “He didn’t watch television. He wasn’t aware of current events. These kids, they don’t realize what they’re doing. They don’t understand the implications. They don’t understand.”

I have a hard time believing than anyone could have completely avoided all news about Sandy Hook, as it’s sort of like making a joke about a bomb on a plane and saying you didn’t know 9/11 happened. Still though, he may be right about Justin’s fate. Should someone who is barely an adult spend eight years in jail for an angry offhand comment made in an online video game, however terrible the sentiment? Many don’t think so, and there’s currently a petition to free Justin that’s nearing 5,000 signatures. They’re pitching this as a freedom of speech case, and saying it shows how ridiculous the US’s anti-terror laws have become.

I’m not sure about the freedom of speech angle. You are not in fact allowed to say you’re going to shoot up a school full of kids in a public forum and expect no reprisals from that. But as for labeling Justin a potential terrorist, that’s where things get extreme. If there was no other evidence that Justin had any intention to follow up on this threat, detailed plans, weapon stockpiles, etc, it’s clearly just an offhand comment made by a dumb kid who thought he’d shock nine other people in an online game. His time served should teach him a lesson, and he should probably go to court ordered therapy or something similar. But spend eight years in jail for a one sentence comment? I just don’t think that’s in line with the spirit of the laws that are trying to protect our country.

so yeah. holy shit. while maybe it was a very dark joke, it was still pretty clearly sarcasm. 8 years. life over for that kid if he gets the big sentence. he has been in jail for months now.

here is the change.org petition for him:
http://www.change.org/petitions/rel...tigative-criteria-for-terroristic-threat-laws

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Is there anyone that doesn't live near an elementary school? They're pretty much everywhere.

Tung Fu Rue's Prize Student
20 Year Member
League of Legends is the new DOTA!

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The guy uses internet, right? Then there's no way he doesn't know about Sandy Hook. Hope he or his father isn't stupid enough to use that defense in court.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
League of Legends is the new WoW!

ftfy.

Seriously, the LoL community is even worse than the WoW one...happens when lots of faggots/internet tough guys gather in one place.

As for the arrest: blown out of proportion, you guys should see the shit I've seen during my WoW days...

Last edited:

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
... mists of pandaria is on sale for $20

:drool_2:

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
I'm curious as to why he has been jailed for 4-5 months...

Anyway, this is just the what happens when you have laws using vague language to describe the crime of "making a terroristic threat".

jk

lol

bokmeow

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
I’m not sure about the freedom of speech angle. You are not in fact allowed to say you’re going to shoot up a school full of kids in a public forum and expect no reprisals from that.

Say what?

In our gun debate thread, passions ran so high that some people said they wished that whole families were gunned down for suggesting any measure of gun controls. And rabid right-wing xenophobes regularly use violent rhetoric. No one is going to be sitting 8 years or months in prison 'cos this is protected under the first amendment. Anyone that says otherwise is itching for a fight with the lithy and Lagduf civil rights lounge.

This is something that stern reprimand, grounding, withholding allowance or other types of domestic disciplinary measures should take care of. This kid may be stupid with his trash talking, but he's not a terrorist. Proper fucked up, this is.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
LOLs almost exactly like DOTA and nothing like WOW. Yeah it's just about the worst online community I've come across.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
wtf is sandy hook?
also, bullshit charge.
not like canada is perfect, but glad i don't have to worry about going to guantanimo bay cause i talk shit online.

also to everyone in this thread:

Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.

you had better call the police, or else i'm gonna kill your kids.

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
wtf is sandy hook?
also, bullshit charge.
not like canada is perfect, but glad i don't have to worry about going to guantanimo bay cause i talk shit online.

also to everyone in this thread:

Oh yeah, I’m real messed up in the head, I’m going to go shoot up a school full of kids and eat their still, beating hearts.

you had better call the police, or else i'm gonna kill your kids.

You forgot lol, jk.

Sandy Hook is an elementary school that some nutter shot up.

@Chris, honestly it isn't too outrageous to have not heard of it. skot is in Canada, I couldn't tell you a single Canadian current event from the past year.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Lithy, you couldn't even remember the great maple syrup heist of 2012?

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
@Chris, honestly it isn't too outrageous to have not heard of it. skot is in Canada, I couldn't tell you a single Canadian current event from the past year.

while thats true, it did make international headlines.

also even if it wasn't heard of, in the time it takes to type that reply, you could google it.

dspoonrt

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Laws, interpretation of them, and legal sentencing should be objective and not affected by public hysteria, current events, or the like. If the kid would have gotten a slap on the wrist and some community service before Sandy Hook, he should get the same afterwards. Logic is often forgotten in matters of the state, though. No such thing as a fair trial.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
while thats true, it did make international headlines.

also even if it wasn't heard of, in the time it takes to type that reply, you could google it.

...you do realize that you're giving someone shit, on the internet, for not spending enough time on the internet?

and if i cared enough, i would google.
if i wanted to sort a bunch of shit to get the whole story.
or i can get a cliffs notes here.

do you know that in the time you spent replying to me, you could have saved 13 cats, and 45 old ladies crossing the street?

i have no issue with you, but go fuck yourself.

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
haha. well played.

i wasnt giving you shit for not spending enough time on the internet. it was just a simple statement you made that could have had a very easy to find answer.
i have no issue with you either. but like i said, man. it was a huge story. there is a pretty big thread here on it too. there isnt much to sort through. a lead paragraph on any search will give you enough to run with. just saying.

skotgun

Geese's Limo Driver
like lithy said, it's not my country.
i mean, obviously it's super shitty, and i did look it up.
but it just doesn't affect people not in the US as much as those who are.

also, thanks for being awesome.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
Kids these days have to deal with that zero tolerance policy in school anyways.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
And this is how a life is ruined by paranoid idiots.

MegaGraffin

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Considering the statement and how absurd it is, at most, an investigation would have been enough...Scare him, send some FBI to his house, but prison??? Even jail time is a tradgedy considering this non-crime. Such a waste of time and money. I can only imagine his family having to fork out cash now to save his ass over something so ridiculous. Take out loans, borrow money, etc, sell their house....Maybe he even gets a record, so he can be basically unemployable for the rest of his life on earth. Totally unnecessary. Whoever is behind pressing charges should be fired and sued for such an abuse of power.

Last edited:

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
Considering the statement and how absurd it is, at most, an investigation would have been enough...Scare him, send some FBI to his house, but prison??? Even jail time is a tradgedy considering this non-crime. Such a waste of time and money. I can only imagine his family having to fork out cash now to save his ass over something so ridiculous. Take out loans, borrow money, etc, sell their house....Maybe he even gets a record, so he can be basically unemployable for the rest of his life on earth. Totally unnecessary. Whoever is behind pressing charges should be fired and sued for such an abuse of power.

honestly the months he has already spent in jail should be punishment enough to scare the shit out of a young person. he has no record. he was never a violent threat. just a sarcastic message left.

Poonman

macebronian
15 Year Member
Congrats America: you finally suck as much as Russia and China...little more to go before you catch up to Saudi Arabia and then it'll be fucking hilarious when you start bombing other countries to "preserve muh freedumz".

And Sandy Hook was a big deal...A Canadian who knows shit about it probably knows very little about whats going on in his own province as well.