The Reviews Are In... (Metal Slug 3)

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
All I know is that after playing the Demo I knew it was the real deal and I am picking mine up today after work.

Halox

Belnar Institute Student
If the penis at IGN thinks it isn't worth $40 I guess we shouldn't tell him what we pay for the game in both MVS and especially NGH format. It might fracture her fragile little mind.

Last edited:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
That IGN review is one of the worst I have ever seen. She (I assume its a she with the name Hilary) says: "This is an arcade game, but I'm not reviewing an arcade game -- I'm reviewing this as an Xbox title" which is totally retarded and not a proper way to review a game. She also says the framerate "was pretty ass in the arcades" which is total bullshit. She also says the sound effects are "pretty basic", when in fact they are far from that; they are loud and clear, and really convey the action well. Finally, her worst comment was:

If this game were $20 or even $30 it would merit a better score and better recommendation. This is not a $40 value unless you absolutely must have this game on your Xbox.

Since when does the cost of the game directly affect its score on graphics, sound, gameplay, etc.?!?! This is without a doubt one of the worst reviews I have seen, and the reader review score of 8.9 is a clear sign that Hilary completely missed the mark on this one. What a complete moron. :oh_no:

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
Some dumb broad... :blow_top:

Lots of people read IGN, and many people base the game buying decisions from it.

If this woman has to use cuss words (twice in the same review) to get her point accross, she must not be very smart.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
I hope MS3 for the good old Xbox sells incredibly well. Sony really missed out on this one, oh well just one more Xbox game to add to my library. Although i am more excited about MS4 and 5 double pack. I've yet to get the games in MVS format :( so the ports will have to do.

Buro Destruct

Formerly known as, Buro Destruct, , Southtown Stre
So, after this thread we've learned:

1) The game hasn't changed at all.
2) Nobody appreciates a good Neo game.

Where's the news in that?

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Buro Destruct said:
So, after this thread we've learned:

1) The game hasn't changed at all.

2 new stages after finishing the game (ufo stage, fat contest). high-res in the text/select screens. live scoreboard. no slowdown.

Howdoin

, Le BLING-BLING!,
Damn they are fast.... some people already released it on Bittorrent!

IN any case I'll buy it cos I want to post my name on top of yours on the online scoreboard :rolleyes:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Dammit my EB called and it didnt recieve it today. It is on the shedule though so it may come later but its doubtful at this rate.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
MilkManX said:
Dammit my EB called and it didnt recieve it today. It is on the shedule though so it may come later but its doubtful at this rate.

That is teh sux.

I called gamestop, they said they got it. woot! +1.1

Curt

apostate
Hilary Goldstein is a man..

A very... Very... Stupid man..

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
buttasuperb said:
That is teh sux.

I called gamestop, they said they got it. woot! +1.1

Yeah the gamestop has it here but I prepaid at EB with trade ins so I have to wait. :(

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
Halox said:
If the penis at IGN thinks it isn't worth $40 I guess we shouldn't tell him what we pay for the game in both MVS and especially NGH format. It might fracture her fragile little mind.

He is a she... no wonder!

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
That IGN reviewer is male, just to let you know.

Still, nothing I care about now. I now have Metal Slug 3 and have stopped to post a couple things about it (and also to tear me away from the game so that I am not late for class tonight.)

The full game is still as uncensored as the demo is, so no last-minute changes there. Load times still non-existant with the ability to quickly start a game afresh just as snappy as it was in the demo.

There is a new menu overlay with your options, as well as the 2 new missions that are locked until you beat the game. The arcade game is set up like the NG console version. The usual 5 credits per person. You still have the standard options of setting your amount of lives per/credit and so forth. The selection for Vulcan Fix is in the Controller setting options.

The Evaluation War Record menu is where you can see all the records.

Apparently the Live scoreboard also records what you did as well as your score, so the amount of continues you used is put up there. I do like that. That way we can still choose to compete for records, given a criteria. Plus it also has score
rankings for arcade time attack and the storming mother ship game.

The game also has screens to view all the Hostages you've found in Arcade Mission. There are 1040 hostages to find, so get cracking. :)

Also there are screens to view each and every type of collectible item, that you found, in the game. There's only 40 different types to find, so that should be easier. It shows the picture, the name, and the amount of points you get for collecting it.

The cover design looks cooler now that I have it in my hands. (Couldn't see Fio clearly in the screenshots). But they got a cool pic of Fio (my favorite MS character) riding the ostrich slug. The manual is in full color and I believe I see some pictures I haven't seen before, in it. The back of the manual having an advertisement for SvC Chaos on Live.

Anything that I see that I see amiss. (Which doesn't really affect the game in anyway, just nitpicking for an otherwise-solid package):

* Well, in the level select menu, if you haven't unlocked the level yet(by beating the one before it), it mentions the requirements, however the character for the level number you have to beat, is printed in the wrong place. It looks fine for the text after you unlocked the level, though.

* The same idea as I said before, that you upload the Live rankings not requiring you to play the game while connected to Live, to record the scores. It leaves room for possible cheating, so that's my main thing. So there are a few suggestions I would suggest for other similar releases. Though I would guess this would still allow us to look each other up by gamertag and compete knowing who the legit people are.

Last edited:

ajsega

Armored Scrum Object
I got the game today and like the fact that the online scores are seperated by continues 1st then by score.

So far one person has a score over 8 million. Three or Four more have a score in the 1 to 2 million score range. These are one credit scores. One of those is mine nothing that great but it's up there.

On the packaging side of things the game disc has the Japanese PS2 cover art on it and the spine has the Metal Slug 3 logo.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
Just picked up the game from gamestop, dude there said it was almost sold out and a very popular item, so that is very good news.

As for the game, just played for 15 minutes or so, plays, sounds, looks fantastic, but I have no idea how I'm gonna get through the later levels on 3 lives. :loco:

edit: off topic, but Best Buy has Mario vs DK for $24.99 vs $34.99 at gamestop.

Last edited:

Buro Destruct

Dio_Brando said:
2 new stages after finishing the game (ufo stage, fat contest). high-res in the text/select screens. live scoreboard. no slowdown.
Both are included on the PS2 port.

Who cares.

Who cares.

Dio_Brando

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Buro Destruct said:

Who cares.

Who cares.

:lol:

Oh, i didn´t know the PS2 was the standard for SNK games. I mean, if the extras from the PS2 version are the ones you´ll compare a game to... :oh_no:

And who cares? The guy that replies to a thread to bitch, for sure.

Try better next time, whiner.

Last edited:

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Buro Destruct said:

Who cares.

Who cares.

The PS2 port was never released in the U.S. or Europe. So, all of us who don't have modded PS2s care. :rolleyes:

MS3 for Xbox reviewed in Complex Magazine!

13-cover-guide_mini.jpg

http://www.complex.com/subscribe.shtml

June/July 2004 issue of Complex magazine, shown above on page 87, has a mini review on Metal Slug 3 for X-Box. Here's what they say, transcribed right from the magazine article:

SNK NeoGeo USA-Xbox 4 out of 5 stars
When it comes to entertainment, that third dimension isn't always better-unless you're citing the 1993 cinematic classic Girls: Wet & Wild in 3D, of course. For old-school gaming geeks, the ongoing Metal Slug series is the perfect example of how 2-D pixels can prevail over billions of polygons. As cartoon-primped soldiers of fortune, your quest to collapse the grizzled General Morden isn't brimming with Mario-esque morals, however. This side-scroller spills over with buckets of blood, plenty of severed limbs and an arsenal of "slugs"-the franchise's trademark vehicles, like the Elephant Slug, complete with a trunk-spray cannon to ensure maximum carnage.
-JMG

Who woulda thought a magazine like this would write this about MS3? I'm pleased nonetheless.

But you guys know what rulez the most? We still have teh best version right in our livingrooms. At least I can continue whenever I want to. $50 for the X-box version... ok that's cool. But I paid $180 for my MS3 on eBay last year, and now its worth wayyyy more than that. Priceless...

I <3 NEO

Last edited:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Electroman said:
At least I can continue whenever I want to. $50 for the X-box version... ok that's cool. But I paid $180 for my MS3 on eBay last year, and now its worth wayyyy more than that. Priceless...

I <3 NEO

It's that an investment then?

Buro Destruct

Dio_Brando said:
:lol:

Oh, i didn´t know the PS2 was the standard for SNK games. I mean, if the extras from the PS2 version are the ones you´ll compare a game to... :oh_no:

And who cares? The guy that replies to a thread to bitch, for sure.

Try better next time, whiner.
lol, I'm not trying for anything shitmonger.

I already own the game for the PS2 and the rom on my bocks. The mini-games are boring at best. You'll play them once and get bored.

chimpmeister said:
The PS2 port was never released in the U.S. or Europe. So, all of us who don't have modded PS2s care.
You only care because its coming out on your precious BillyBox.

I've also got a Jap PS2, kthxbai.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Did you guys ever stop to think that these guys are ripping this game to cover their asses? For every one of us hardcore SNK folk, there's like 50 mouth-breathing casual gamer fucks who won't buy this game solely because it's 2D.
I imagine they'd take whatever potshots they could, because if they actually gave it the review it deserves, they might get a bunch of hate mail from the PS-worshipping graphics whores.

I myself am not buying this port. The real SNK is dead, and watching the talent-impaired folks at Playmore profit from a game they could never summon enough skill to create makes me sick. After I move in two weeks, I'm hoping to get a cab and MVS setup, so I can play the real deal.