The Reviews Are In... (Metal Slug 3)

NeogenX

n00b
Buro Destruct said:
Both are included on the PS2 port.

Who cares.

Who cares.

Please do the world a favor and shut the fuck up.
Nobody wants to hear you whine about how Xbox/Ps2 ports aren't as l33t as AES. Fact is, as far as Metal Slug 3 is concerned, the ports play as good as the original.
Yes, you own the AES version; this makes you better than everyone, and we should all suck your cock.
Now that we've gotten that out of the way: Piss off, or start a thread about how much cooler you are for not owning an Xbox port. Or maybe try playing the game for its entertainment value, rather than buying it for its collection value.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Dudes .... go to gamespot and give this game the 10's it deserves - my review made the average go from 9.1 to 9.2 :buttrock:

I thought this was a pretty damned high for a mainstream site, by the way.

Robert

20 Year Member
A little technical question: How is it to play MS with a pad? :spock:

I can't deal with the idea.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Robert said:

It's really not all that bad, IMO. Although I prefer a stick, I have played MS 3 a little using the Neo Geo CD (pad) controllers, and it's really not all that big of a deal. It's not like you have to pull off complex movements or anything with these games - it's fighters that are really $hyte with the pads.

xtoo_short20x said:
It's that an investment then?

You and I both know that it technically is an appreciated investment. ;)

Not that I bank on this, I play my games. But its just cool to know that something you bought that you enjoy to play, can also appreciate in value later on.

Robert said:

I so totally agree with you. I always disliked pads. NEO old style controllers have changed my ways of controller use, and that was years ago.

But... for RPG's... pads aren't bad. With an extra long cord, its great to throw a blanket over you, and just using an effortless pad for play. Better yet, are those RPG one-handed controllers.

Syxx573

Azura's Swordsmith
I bought this game and found out my brother took my xbox to his Halo nerd party. :mad: Though I did play a ton of RCR. :D Well he stopped by the house and got all excited to see that I got it, and he took the game to go play with his friends. I'm so proud of him. :crying:

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Actually, I find the Xbox pads just fine for a game like metal slug. It's not like it is a fighting game (even though the Xbox pads, compared to the other 2 NG systems, are easier for me on fighting games, mostly because 1. It's not way out of place and odd feeling like the GC one, and 2. I don't have to press down on the pad like crazy to get moves off like the PS2 pads(Note, the PS1 pads don't have this problem)).

Still, because of Neo Geo Pocket, I've learned how to play a great game of Magical Drop with my thumb, and there will NEVER be a Metal Slug as demanding (control-wise) as Magical Drop.

Still, I'm just hear to show my love for things Metal Slug 3, and to report my findings with this port, nothing else. No need for the console on console versus antics.

One thing I do notice is how difficult the game gets because of the added speed, in this port. You think Boss 2 is easy? Just try it in this version and be surprised how much you relied on the game slowing down when it came to the orbs coming at you while the enemies rotated. Now's your chance to see the fast firing patterns, of that boss, at full speed.

Other times, it's like playing MS3, but you simply do things faster, that's all. Once you got the speed down, you do just as well (like the underwater sub section in Level 3). Taking note that those used to playing the arcade version may sometimes die because they forget they can move as fast as they can because they're used to the speed they normally play at. (This goes for both missed opportunity, and for putting yourself in harms way because you expected to move slower. I don't know what it is, but I guess a Metal Slug player actually internally memorizes how much on screen is required to slow the game down, and they automatically compensate for speed changes) You have to kind of forget that. Just remember, for now, that no matter how many of those expensive flowery big explosions you see, the game keeps on truckin' so you better do that too.

Needless to say, don't forget to revert back to that old habit when you play on the NeoGeo again. This almost constitutes as a gameplay change.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
I went to Gamestop and bought it yesterday and I will return my sealed EB copy that comes in today back to GameStop.

Its great. Thanks SNK USA.

*back to playing*

rarehero

Rotterdam Nation Resident,
20 Year Member
is it true it's one credit then you have to start the stage over?
that's not any fun. I'll probably pick it up anyways though.
I've been waiting for this for awhile.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Yep. You generally have to beat the level within a single continue when playing 1 player alone. However, since playing 2 players allows the partner to blast in at any point, you can do the player-swap tactic to keep on going. Sure, this has absolutely no gains for trying to compete in any rankings(your points will go down the dumpster, but they would've anyway by that point), but it does give you a way to continue through the level. Technically, your scoring potential remains better by not doing the player swapping, but if you need all the help to reach the end you can get (beyond setting lives to 5), that's an option.

When playing 2 players, the new Continue feature wont affect you unless you both die at the same time and the BIG Continue counter starts. It's the BIG continue that starts the level over. Which is actually quite fun. It really puts in that comraderie where you both do your best to not lose your lives together, so that you can keep trucking.

Last edited:

TheBigBB

Formerly known as dmhawkmoon
I actually can't play slug right without a stick. Unlike fighters where I can't use a stick to save my life. Weird, huh?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
I still prefer the PS2 version......unlimited continues and no start over at beginning of level :)

geekabilly

Mickey's Coach
Just got it today during my lunch break at work.. need to see how good it is when i get home.. i did try the demo.. was awesome super smooth and fast as hell.. :buttrock:

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Syxx573 said:
I bought this game and found out my brother took my xbox to his Halo nerd party. :mad: Though I did play a ton of RCR. :D Well he stopped by the house and got all excited to see that I got it, and he took the game to go play with his friends. I'm so proud of him. :crying:

Stories like this warm my heart ... :crying: - and make me believe that today's youth might actually be capable of running things in the future. Anyway, I'm about to go grab this bad boy and give my dusty ass x-box a nice workout.

daybona

Juz,
A little technical question: How is it to play MS with a pad?

I've yet to see anyone who is faster with their thumb than they are with their whole hand. Its simple mechanics.

Unless you have a rapid fire pad, a stick is inherently superior.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
daybona said:
I've yet to see anyone who is faster with their thumb than they are with their whole hand. Its simple mechanics.

Unless you have a rapid fire pad, a stick is inherently superior.

i'm faster with my thumb than i am with my whole hand; there's less space to cover with the d-pad. that also allows for more precision and less error. as for the buttons, the game only allows you to shoot so fast, so mashing the fire button doesn't create that much of a rate-of-fire difference.

it290

Not so MEGA, eh?
I love how IGN rates games like Viewtiful Joe really high because they provide 'old-school enjoyment', yet when a game like Slug 3 comes along with the real old-school flava they don't heap praise on it. I'm not dissing on VJ here, but Slug 3 is a better game hands down and I think anyone who's a real gamer would be hard pressed to disagree with that. I mean, seriously, the game is a few years old, but it sounds like it's a good port. I think slug 3 should be getting at least 9.5's across the board (unrealistic, I know), and it's definitely GOTY material IMHO.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
I just picked up my MS3 for XBOX today from Gamestop. It's plays pretty well just like its NG counterpart, but, it is hard as hell. If you lose all of ya lives, then, you have to start at the beginning of the level. How the fuck are you supposed to beat the game when the 5th Mission takes about 30-45 min to complete. How can complete that in just 1-5 lives? It's impossible. Unless you're a Metal Slug expert and know how to dodge every single shot from the enemies.

Nash

Fu'un-Ken Master
Jedite said:
I just picked up my MS3 for XBOX today from Gamestop. It's plays pretty well just like its NG counterpart, but, it is hard as hell. If you lose all of ya lives, then, you have to start at the beginning of the level. How the fuck are you supposed to beat the game when the 5th Mission takes about 30-45 min to complete. How can complete that in just 1-5 lives? It's impossible. Unless you're a Metal Slug expert and know how to dodge every single shot from the enemies.

just hit the start button on the second controller, and continue on from there.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I picked this one up a little while ago, and it's a pretty good port. However, the sound and graphics didn't seem quite as crisp to me. The sound seemed somewhat muted, and the graphics seemed a little blurred when compared with the NGH version - even though both systems use the same S-vid connection. Just my opinion.

ferrarimanf355

Bullets QB
galfordo said:
Dudes .... go to gamespot and give this game the 10's it deserves - my review made the average go from 9.1 to 9.2 :buttrock:

I thought this was a pretty damned high for a mainstream site, by the way.

Right now, it's an 8.8, after 38 reader reviews. Still high. :)
Gamespot posted their review, and like 1up, they, too give it a 7.5.
http://www.gamespot.com/xbox/action/metalslug3/review.html
An 8 for gameplay, 7's for graphics and sound, a 6 for value, and an 8 for the reviewer's tilt. They, too, think that the continue system is to frustrating for it's own good, but they still like it.
I would have got it, but I wasted all my money on a preorder for a Classic NES edition Game Boy Advance SP. Aw well... :crying: At least I'll have some old-skool NES games to play, and I'll be ready for Metal Slug Advance... :smirk:

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Loopz said:
Did you guys ever stop to think that these guys are ripping this game to cover their asses? For every one of us hardcore SNK folk, there's like 50 mouth-breathing casual gamer fucks who won't buy this game solely because it's 2D.
I imagine they'd take whatever potshots they could, because if they actually gave it the review it deserves, they might get a bunch of hate mail from the PS-worshipping graphics whores.

I myself am not buying this port. The real SNK is dead, and watching the talent-impaired folks at Playmore profit from a game they could never summon enough skill to create makes me sick. After I move in two weeks, I'm hoping to get a cab and MVS setup, so I can play the real deal.

:buttrock: :buttrock: :buttrock:

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I myself am not buying this port. The real SNK is dead, and watching the talent-impaired folks at Playmore profit from a game they could never summon enough skill to create makes me sick. After I move in two weeks, I'm hoping to get a cab and MVS setup, so I can play the real deal.

And what of the part of the original Metal Slug staff who made MS3 and remained at Playmore? Do they not deserve any credit for the work they did in making the game and then the port?

I'm just glad this ideal is clearly the minority, and that this port will be a success.