The Reviews Are In... (Metal Slug 3)

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Visuatrox said:
The sneaky bastard at IGN edited out about the Romz in his review, without even writing an apology or anything:

That's funny. It's not like it would bother most of the members here, since most
use roms anyway.

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
NeoGrubWyrm said:
Hell yes. All I can say is that this port is great. Initially, I was frustrated with the continuing at the beginning of the level, but it actually makes it a bit more challenging. Quite a bit more. You don't just blast through the game and then you're like... "ok I'm done now".

Seriously, I think it's important to show support. SNK is dead, get over it. You can pick up a GREAT port (better than the Neo- get over that too*) for a fraction of the price. And when MS and SNK-Playmore sees the sales figures, there's a good chance to get more great SNK games.

I used to hate the Xbox(bandwagon rider). Now, with all the SNK games coming out, and great games like Ninja Gaiden & Wolfenstein, I absolutely love it. So, I think some people need to just grow up, get over this "I won't buy anything Microsoft" mentality, realize that it's GOOD for people to dig Metal SLug and SNK games who aren't neo fanboys; because it means there's a chance for us to see more. 3 Gamestops and 2 EB's all sold out of this. THAT'S FU**ING AWESOME.

** I say better port because, well, it is. No slowdown, extra missions, and galleries. Level select, stereo sound, and 480i. These things other than stereo and level select aren't available on the Neo unless it's modded. This is Slug as it was intended to be.'

-GRUB :angry:

Ditto!

I called every game store in the northern Maryland area, and only one had a shelf copy in stock! THIS THING IS SELLING OUT!! That is a good sign, and should inspire SNKP to create more good ports for the box.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
xtoo_short20x said:
That's funny. It's not like it would bother most of the members here, since most
use roms anyway.

I use romz, and the comment bothers me. It's telling everyone (mainstream gamers) to NOT buy the game because you can get it for free. Shady as hell for a "writer" to put in a review.

Ya know, some people use romz, but also have and play the real deal. Not all of us are 100% rom whores.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
buttasuperb said:
I use romz, and the comment bothers me. It's telling everyone (mainstream gamers) to NOT buy the game because you can get it for free. Shady as hell for a "writer" to put in a review.

Ya know, some people use romz, but also have and play the real deal. Not all of us are 100% rom whores.

That's why I said most.

Jedite

Bunker Buster
leepantalone said:
Ditto!

I called every game store in the northern Maryland area, and only one had a shelf copy in stock! THIS THING IS SELLING OUT!! That is a good sign, and should inspire SNKP to create more good ports for the box.
That's good. Also, that'll convinced SNK Playmore to make more ports for the PS2, XBOX and maybe even for GC. I'm glad I bought my MS3 when I did. :D

quixux

Crossed Swords Squire
Does this port allow you to level select to levels you have beaten?

leepantalone

Pm'ing Rot. Always a Risk.,
OK, has anyone finished the first 5 levels yet and played the UFO mothership level yet, as one of Mordens soldiers???

I am stuck on level 4 right now.

Can anyone comment on the UFO bonus level???

Jedite

Bunker Buster
leepantalone said:
OK, has anyone finished the first 5 levels yet and played the UFO mothership level yet, as one of Mordens soldiers???

I am stuck on level 4 right now.

Can anyone comment on the UFO bonus level???
You can beat level 4, by doing someone told me do, continue the stage on from using the 2nd controller. It's still gonna be a bitch beating the last stage.

Chicago Cheeseburgler Crew

BANNED , Banned , Here's why
10 Year Member
So anyone posting there scores online? I like how those who use 0 continues are ranked above those who use continues no matter what. So far my best is something like 930,000 on one credit/3 lives which is 35th best or something. I see daybona is 2nd with a 4mil+ score. I wonder if any of those scores are people using 5 lives?

I still can't believe I got through the first 2 levels on one credit twice in a row. woot!

Metal Fatigue

Robert Garcia's Butler
buttasuperb said:
So anyone posting there scores online? I like how those who use 0 continues are ranked above those who use continues no matter what. So far my best is something like 930,000 on one credit/3 lives which is 35th best or something. I see daybona is 2nd with a 4mil+ score. I wonder if any of those scores are people using 5 lives?

I still can't believe I got through the first 2 levels on one credit twice in a row. woot!

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=92011 :cool:

xamot13

The Ultimate 11
All I have to say is, metal slug 3 for the ps2 import was a better overall port than the xbox version. The case artwork, manual etc is all of a higher quality. The layout is better and the actual disc art is better also. The grainy digitized Shinkiro art in the manual is terrible! While the ps2 is smooth and crisp. If you put the 2 versions side by side you will see that the ps2 looks much better and that the presentation of the whole package is way above that of the xbox port.The xbox mission select screens are weak compared to the ps2 port. The PS2 version even features all the extras of the "xbox exclusive" version!! Best of all it's been readily available for a year now!

I own both versions and the MVS. The only thing the xbox port makes better is the loading times. Leader boards? so fucking what?! Where's the awesome online 4 player simultaneous action. Now that would have made it better.

quixux

Crossed Swords Squire
xamot13 said:
All I have to say is, metal slug 3 for the ps2 import was a better overall port than the xbox version. The case artwork, manual etc is all of a higher quality. The layout is better and the actual disc art is better also. The grainy digitized Shinkiro art in the manual is terrible! While the ps2 is smooth and crisp. If you put the 2 versions side by side you will see that the ps2 looks much better and that the presentation of the whole package is way above that of the xbox port.The xbox mission select screens are weak compared to the ps2 port. The PS2 version even features all the extras of the "xbox exclusive" version!! Best of all it's been readily available for a year now!

I own both versions and the MVS. The only thing the xbox port makes better is the loading times. Leader boards? so fucking what?! Where's the awesome online 4 player simultaneous action. Now that would have made it better.

Loadtimes > * :)

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
xamot13 said:

Well, the box art and manual really isn't all that important to me - I don't really see these ports becoming collector's items. I just have it to play.

I've heard the PS2 version has like black lines around the characters, and this makes the game look pretty poor - while the xbox version doesn't have it. Can anyone confirm this?

snesaes

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
galfordo said:
Meh, I never take those guys seriously anymore.

It's all about t3h graphicx to them. Losers. MS3 is the best game to come out for Xbox. Halo is overrated. KOTOR is good too.

isamu

Crazed MVS Addict
xamot13 said:
Leader boards? so fucking what?! Where's the awesome online 4 player simultaneous action. Now that would have made it better.

I agree with this on soooo many levels!

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I went into a Gamestop at a mall here about a week or so ago, and saw a couple kids playing MS3 on the X-Box. I could tell by what they were saying that they hadn't played it before, but they were cracking up at the deaths and really enjoying themselves. So I go about my business (looking for Jet Set Radio Future for X-Box -- if I find a new one, I may still consider getting a box). Anyway, about an hour or so later, I'm sitting down eating, and these same kids walk by, and they're still talking about Slug.

There's still hope for the future of this nation...

Jedah Doma

Chroma Ma' Doma!,
Yea, I saw IGN gave it about a 6.3 or something like that. I thought it was total bull, but it seems the rest of the gaming community appreciates it. Although I love it when they say, "old school", and I'm going, "Well, the game was made in 2000, so not really too old". One site said this game looked like an SNES game. When was the last time you saw a game have one sprite as animated as Marco by himself.....none. ;)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
That's the standard schpiel. Almost anybody (guarranteed) that talks about something looking like an SNES game doesn't even remember the limitations of what SNES could do, and doesn't remember what an SNES game looks like.

People do forget that SNES couldn't pull off Street Fighter Alpha 2, to save its life.

Needless to say, it's the common talk people use to describe AND 2D game that isn't at least 640x400, in resolution. That pretty-much includes anything the Neo Geo has ever produced.

However, add 1 single Poly-object to the background (whether it could've easily been pre-rendered on the SNES or not), and it no longer gets the moniker.