The Reviews Are In... (Metal Slug 3)

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Fygee said:
And what of the part of the original Metal Slug staff who made MS3 and remained at Playmore? Do they not deserve any credit for the work they did in making the game and then the port?

I'm just glad this ideal is clearly the minority, and that this port will be a success.

I agree. Its a cop-out to complain and say you won't buy the game, when this port is finally bringing one of the Neo Geo's best games directly to the mainstream at an affordable price. I picked up my copy on day 1, despite the fact that I already own it for home cart and MVS. I will pick up the MS4/MS5 pack for both consoles when it releases, and any Samurai Shodown games that come out as well for XBox or PS2.

I do admit that the game is overly hard with the harsh continue system, and I agree with galfordo's comments about how the original Neo version is better, but still we are lucky this ever came out at all for the XBox.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
I myself am not buying this port. The real SNK is dead, and watching the talent-impaired folks at Playmore profit from a game they could never summon enough skill to create makes me sick.

That did kind of reek of Haterade, didn't it?

My boy MilkManX came into my store tonight and we had a brief, but spirited discussion about this. I dunno man. I just miss the real SNK. They went out on such a massive high note, with MS3, Garou, and Last Blade 2 being their swan songs. Playmore just doesn't get it right at all. SNK vs Capcom should have been a hell of a lot better, KoF'03 was poop....just seeing SNK Playmore on the MS3-XB title screen bums me out.

For those that have no other means, grab this game and enjoy it. I guess from a perspective of having folks enjoy your creation, perhaps the people that made MS3 are simply glad it's out there in any form. You know me...I have a knack for politicizing the fuck out of everything. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.
I still want to own the MVS cart someday.

Metal Slug 3 is still an incredible fucking game though, one of the best ever.
For that alone, I guess it deserves to be played by as many people as possible.
Playmore still munches goat bung though.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I can totally understand where you're coming from. We all miss the old SNK and wish they would have their old standard of quality. Playmore still hasn't reached that level, but I personally think that KOF '03 and SSV: Special are fantastic games and are a definite step in the right direction. Nothing wrong with being disgruntled with what you view as a substandard product and a substandard company, but you have to remember that Rome wasn't built in a day, and neither was the nation that came after it fell. ;)

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Well, I look at it from this perspective. Sure, the old SNK is gone, but I find that Playmore has been trying pretty darn hard. I mean, heck, what happened to the old SNK was basically hard luck. There's just nothing that can be done about that.

I know (but not everybody, it seems) that to do SNK the way it was done before takes time. It's not as simple as just trying to recreate the same stuff. People think that as long as the mindset is the same, ANYBODY can do SNK the old way. It's just not true. So I'm not hating on Playmore because I actually see them making the attempt. And I do see some true stuff from them, at times. There's no way they could remotely do that if the heart wasn't in the right place. As far as I'm concerned, they're probably the only revitalized company making as much stride, in that area. I expect hits and misses, here and there. But then again, SNK always was about hits and misses because they weren't afraid to experiment with the formula. Whenever I see Playmore doing that, I kind of feel like there is something there that I loved about the old SNK. Hating on them, for me, is like hating them because Aruze happened and people got lost. That's like kicking a man because he was apart of some Huge layoff he had no control over and chiding him because he doesn't work for the company anymore. Love lost is one thing, and totally understandable, but I wouldn't go as far as directing all my anger of the old event at somebody else enough to avoid their products like the plague. That is, unless they were like Aruze and decided to remove (on purpose) everything that was good about the old company, didn't make an effort to appease old fans in any way, and decided to trade chips for the kind of stuff SNK never made. Frankly, I was more unhappy about buying SNK games while Aruze had them, because I didn't like the idea Aruze would cash in on the money. The money was for the people, with heart and soul, still putting the effort into the games, but I knew that wasn't where all of it went.

I still recognize that Playmore still has ways to go, but I also recognize that even the original SNK didn't happen overnight.

But anyway. As for Metal Slug 3, I actually find the demands of the (by default) continue system to be way less than the demands just in this community. Beating the game on the Xbox is tons easier than matching up to scores people can place around here. I actually find the continue system as a nice little assist to help me get to competitive playing levels. So, by comparison, the continue is the EASY part. But you're right, the speed makes this version somewhat harder than the original, but nothing that would hinder the MS3 masters, here, too much. I guess it's because some of you guys got me interested in mastering Metal Slug, to the point that the continue feature changes aren't even a factor.

Last edited:

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Fygee said:
And what of the part of the original Metal Slug staff who made MS3 and remained at Playmore? Do they not deserve any credit for the work they did in making the game and then the port?

I'm just glad this ideal is clearly the minority, and that this port will be a success.

Exactly. I can see what Loopz means but its not like Playmore is taking credit for creating this game. They are just bringin it to the fans.

NeoGrubWyrm

Kuroko's Training Dummy
This Rocks.

Hell yes. All I can say is that this port is great. Initially, I was frustrated with the continuing at the beginning of the level, but it actually makes it a bit more challenging. Quite a bit more. You don't just blast through the game and then you're like... "ok I'm done now".

Seriously, I think it's important to show support. SNK is dead, get over it. You can pick up a GREAT port (better than the Neo- get over that too*) for a fraction of the price. And when MS and SNK-Playmore sees the sales figures, there's a good chance to get more great SNK games.

I used to hate the Xbox(bandwagon rider). Now, with all the SNK games coming out, and great games like Ninja Gaiden & Wolfenstein, I absolutely love it. So, I think some people need to just grow up, get over this "I won't buy anything Microsoft" mentality, realize that it's GOOD for people to dig Metal SLug and SNK games who aren't neo fanboys; because it means there's a chance for us to see more. 3 Gamestops and 2 EB's all sold out of this. THAT'S FU**ING AWESOME.

** I say better port because, well, it is. No slowdown, extra missions, and galleries. Level select, stereo sound, and 480i. These things other than stereo and level select aren't available on the Neo unless it's modded. This is Slug as it was intended to be.'

-GRUB :angry:

Figure the logic in this:

The X-Box port is:
Generally harder
1 continue per level
you have to use the standard pads
no slowdown

And SNKP/MS expects people who are 3D fans, that may not like 2D to pick this game up and play it to the end?

Fucking forget about it, this really goes against the grain.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Of course they can play it until the end. Just do the 2 player swap method. I'm pretty sure, those who do that aren't really caring about their scores, anyway. 5 Lives per Credit, 9 continues using 2 player swapping; you'd better be able to finish the game, that way. (especially with level select) If you can't beat even Mission 5 in 40+ lives, then I doubt it's really your time to finish that level. Practice might be in order.

And no, you never have to use standard pads for any X-box game. Whether it's by buying a joystick, or getting an adaptor for another joystick you have on another system, you have your choices.

It's not unlimited continues, but it's darn close, and I think it's about time the unlimited continue crutch gets removed if all people are going to do is complain that Arcade games are too short.

Case in point, nobody is ever happy.

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
Say what you want, but MS3 won't be selling millions of copies.

NeoGrubWyrm said:
Hell yes. All I can say is that this port is great. Initially, I was frustrated with the continuing at the beginning of the level, but it actually makes it a bit more challenging. Quite a bit more. You don't just blast through the game and then you're like... "ok I'm done now".

Seriously, I think it's important to show support. SNK is dead, get over it. You can pick up a GREAT port (better than the Neo- get over that too*) for a fraction of the price. And when MS and SNK-Playmore sees the sales figures, there's a good chance to get more great SNK games.

I used to hate the Xbox(bandwagon rider). Now, with all the SNK games coming out, and great games like Ninja Gaiden & Wolfenstein, I absolutely love it. So, I think some people need to just grow up, get over this "I won't buy anything Microsoft" mentality, realize that it's GOOD for people to dig Metal SLug and SNK games who aren't neo fanboys; because it means there's a chance for us to see more. 3 Gamestops and 2 EB's all sold out of this. THAT'S FU**ING AWESOME.

** I say better port because, well, it is. No slowdown, extra missions, and galleries. Level select, stereo sound, and 480i. These things other than stereo and level select aren't available on the Neo unless it's modded. This is Slug as it was intended to be.'

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I'll just be happy if Playmore/NeoGeoConsumerusa (or whatever they are called) is happy with the sales numbers, when all is said and done. Not looking for miracles, just some nice appreciation for a nice game like Metal Slug 3.

Last edited:

NeoGrubWyrm

Kuroko's Training Dummy
It doesn't have to sell millions to do well. If it gets near the 100K mark, it's considered a successful games. Especially if you look at the Xbox user base (as low as it is). If stores are selling out, and everyone I've run into seems to love it.... it's good enough for these guys to take notice. And only more good things can come from that (well, at least for some of us).

And the whole "continue from the beginning of the level" argument doesn't hold water. People have gotten lazy with their unlimited continues and so forth. Here's something that's actually challanging, and it seems as if it's being accepted. So what's wrong with it. I had MS3 on one of my Neo's... and it got old real quick(I'd beat it and quit- if I didnt' get too bored first). I bought this yesterday.... and spent 2.5 hours playing, only getting to level 4. That means two things... I really suck... but more importantly... I'm having fun with it for longer periods of time. :angry:

Man... some of you people. This scene has turned so ugly... it's just a game. If I didn't know better, I would expect a "NGF PRA" sig on some of these threads. Stop being so elitist. Guess this is why I've stayed away from posting here.... (and save your fingers from typing "so dont' then!", please).

I mean... wtf is with you guys!? :angry: :angry:

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
What in the WORLD is with those reviews that outright talk about teh romz? For crying out loud, maybe that's making some people say "Wait, so this game is $50 on the X-Box, but IGN is saying it's free on the computer?".

But in any case, it's good to see this game getting some good press. It seems that everyone knows the Neo for Metal Slug, and even if they have no idea what the NeoGeo is, they STILL know Metal Slug. Nearly anyone who's spent a short amount of time in an arcade knows Metal Slug, so IMO this port will sell a bit better than we think.

NeoGrubWyrm said:

I thought level select was available with a memory card... 480i is standard TV resolution. Any game ever released on a home console could display in 480i. Was there slowdown on the Neo version? I didn't notice it, but okay, I could believe that there was.

I personally prefer the RGB of an arcade monitor to a component signal that gets line-doubled on my TV when I'm playing low-res 2-d stuff, but I'm happy the port is out. This game should be required playing for anyone that considers themselves a fan of platform shooters...might have to get it eventually for the extra missions.

NeoGrubWyrm

Kuroko's Training Dummy
galvatron said:
I thought level select was available with a memory card... 480i is standard TV resolution. Any game ever released on a home console could display in 480i. Was there slowdown on the Neo version? I didn't notice it, but okay, I could believe that there was.

I personally prefer the RGB of an arcade monitor to a component signal that gets line-doubled on my TV when I'm playing low-res 2-d stuff, but I'm happy the port is out. This game should be required playing for anyone that considers themselves a fan of platform shooters...might have to get it eventually for the extra missions.

480p w/ component gives for digital picture. Which is better than standard AV. Big difference.

There was slowdown, but only in a few areas like some bosses.

RGB would be ideal, but not everyone has an RGB monitor. Bottom line is it's a great port. Period.

Another fun addition is the gallery and POW list. Just more things to challenge yourself with....

NeoGrubWyrm said:
480p w/ component gives for digital picture. Which is better than standard AV. Big difference.

There was slowdown, but only in a few areas like some bosses.

RGB would be ideal, but not everyone has an RGB monitor. Bottom line is it's a great port. Period.

Another fun addition is the gallery and POW list. Just more things to challenge yourself with....
480p, is very different from 480i....it displays at twice the res. Doesn't help too much if the characters are line-doubled in hardware instead of software...you've really only bought yourself clearer timer text. If it doesn't have those ugly black outlines around the characters that the PS2 port had, then this'll look pretty good. I'm really picky about picture quality, so don't mind me. IMO, Metal Slug 3 is worth $80, so the port is a steal (it's the whole reason I got an MVS cab).

SNKJorge

Collection Gallery Keeper, CD Price Guide Analyst,
MS3 on XBox being accepted?
Maybe accepted by those who do not own a neo, and are always praying to
get their 'superior' p0rts on it, + of course some of us that just buy it to support
the company. Other than that I don't think so. I mean go to big gaming sites like
IGN or Gamespot and visit their general xbox boards, and see what the majority
of the members think about it.

NeoGrubWyrm

Kuroko's Training Dummy
galvatron said:
480p, is very different from 480i....it displays at twice the res. Doesn't help too much if the characters are line-doubled in hardware instead of software...you've really only bought yourself clearer timer text. If it doesn't have those ugly black outlines around the characters that the PS2 port had, then this'll look pretty good. I'm really picky about picture quality, so don't mind me. IMO, Metal Slug 3 is worth $80, so the port is a steal (it's the whole reason I got an MVS cab).

I just noticed my err... yes, I meant 480p originally, not 480i. I can't seem to notice these black lines you are referring to... I imagining a cell-shaded type look or something but not quite as extreme? At any rate, I don't notice it.

If I still had a Neo.... and I had to choose over this or the home cart- I'd choose this.

NeoGrubWyrm said:
I just noticed my err... yes, I meant 480p originally, not 480i. I can't seem to notice these black lines you are referring to... I imagining a cell-shaded type look or something but not quite as extreme? At any rate, I don't notice it.

If I still had a Neo.... and I had to choose over this or the home cart- I'd choose this.
Oh, no doubt. I don't see how, if you just want to play the game, that the neo version if worth 10+ times the price of a good port. PS2 port, at least when I played it through component cables on my HDTV, looked like everyone had a thick black-outline whereas the neo version there weren't outlines on the people. Very much like cell-shading style borders around marco, the soldiers, etc. We did a side-by-side compare with my cab and everyone there agreed that the PS2 version looked a lot worse. If they're gone, that's great news.

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
Dallas_Five said:
What's the button setup? Can it be changed?

The button setup defaults to:

X - Fire
A - Jump
B - Grenade(bomb/tank shell/etc)

And the Special Slug attack (the one where you hurl your slug at the enemy) is:

L-trigger + A. (Altered to avoid accidental slug attacks)

However, it does have a controller config screen that allows you to change your individual button settings, per command.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
I thought the button setup worked fine - I wouldn't sweat it if I were you. I will admit that the d-pad didn't work nearly as well as my old style stick for this game.

Visuatrox said:
The sneaky bastard at IGN edited out about the Romz in his review, without even writing an apology or anything :angry: .

I hope SNK's lawyers choked those shitheads. I can't believe a company which does this for profit would cendorse stealing someone else's product.

Hopefully 4 and 5 also comes out a good port. I personally don't mind it being harder, and I like starting at the level beginning better than either limited or infinite continues. Makes it stay hard, but you don't have to restart your game if you're not up to par, just the part you suck at! :buttrock: