X-men and NeoBitz

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Sooo anyone ever tried the 6 player X-men with the NeoBitz encoder?

It sort of works...it appears some color is missing. I only have one screen hooked up, I have no idea about the pinout of the extra RGB connector that's on the mobo...haven't been able to find the manual for the game yet. Best I found was the 4 player version.

Somethings missing here...
img5051cg9.jpg

Sure are alot of colors it should be showing!
img5052sp7.jpg

Oh and I'm using composite out, and I've tried messing with the sync switch, which didn't do anything. And my encoder doesn't have any potentiometers on the RGB lines.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
It actually looks like you mixed up the lines.

Hewitson

Metal Slug Mechanic
I'd be inclined to agree with that since its showing green where there should be red, blue where there should be green and red where there should be blue :)

Last edited:

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yea, RGB lines are messed up for sure. White looks fine (which means all 3 levels are equal) while the others are mixed up.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Interesting

Red - green
Yellow - blue
Green - blue
Cyan - red/magenta
Blue - red
Magenta - green

This is not an RGB drive or colour difference issue, seems more like a D/A conversion issue on the board set. Or am I losing the plot here ?
There is a good techy thread on this somewhere, looking for it.

Last edited:

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Sorry, forgot the encoder, was thinking cab.
What encoder chip ? AD724/5 probably ?

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
ttooddddyy said:
Does it make any difference running pal or ntsc

The thread I was looking for is here, but it does not apply to this issue

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?t=78595&page

The AD encoders are not friendly with some boards

The boards that I had a problem with the Neobitz were always the same look. Either just black and white or a striping of pink, blue and green everywhere.

ttooddddyy

PNG FTW,
Change the encoder,we are talking chroma phase error here (with respect, it is too technical for the forum. AD need to fix it) Try a sony CX encoder.

Edit: having said that AD is perfect for MVS

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
There is no reason this won't work fine with two encoders and two screens. I've seen the auxillary RGB pinout somewhere online too. It's in the manual. I bought the 4-player version, and I remember looking all this info up out of curiosity.

will the 6 player run right on 1 screen or does it need 2. I was thinking of making a supergun kinda wanted to set it up to run up to 6 players due to this game :smirk:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Victor Von Doom said:
will the 6 player run right on 1 screen or does it need 2. I was thinking of making a supergun kinda wanted to set it up to run up to 6 players due to this game :smirk:
The 6-player needs two screens. That's why I have the 4-player one. Good enough, when you consider the amount of trouble needed.

buaku

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ok here's an update. The Neobitz has the AD encoder on there, bosvideo looks just as bad as the pictures I posted...I figure both of those go through that AD encoder.

Now when I use the component out on the Neobitz the color looks damn good, except the screen blanks out every few seconds or so. I have it hooked up to my LCD TV. I don't have a CRT with component or RGB inputs. So it's like maybe the sync is messed up? I tried the sync cleaner switch in both positions and it doesn't help either way. The screen still blinks off and on every two or so seconds.

The way I have my rig set up works just fine on other boards...the MVS and my Tekken 3 board. So I'm confident I haven't mis-wired anything.

Oh and I run NTSC.

Now onto the whole 6 player thing... I thought it would be neat to own this game in one way or another...I figure I could put two screen side by side or find a TV that can do split screen. Turns out the new Sony Bravia's can do that, they call it Picture AND Picture, but I can't justify buying a TV like that, but it's nice to know that feature exists. Also I'm sure with enough knowledge there's gotta be a way to combine two inputs into one. Could probably also get like 2 capture cards and play it on a comptuer screen.

I did end up finding a thread the net(well a google cached version) where some dude did get it working, he was using SCART. He also had to mess with the innards of the TV to flip one of the screens. He couldn't find a menu option to invert the screen, but I swear I saw that option in the 4-player manual. FYI the Jamma edge appears to be the right screen and the RGB out on the mobo is an inverted left screen I think.

Yeah it's funny how easy it is to find the 4-player manual, but can't find a damn thing about the 6-player one.

I figured if it worked for MVS it might work for other arcade machines...after all they all output some sort of RGB :P I was trying to expand my horizons, lol.