World's First Virtual Store Opens in Korea!

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
Pretty neat.

I can see this working in a crowded big city environment.

Not so much in bumble fuck nowhere Ohio.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I haven't been to this station where they have this setup yet, but I'll have to check it out sometime. Basically they just took the screen doors in the subway station where you wait for the train and covered the whole thing with pictures. The courier/home delivery service is awesome in Seoul (instant, no tipping, very responsive to requests to adjust the delivery time) so I can see how this could be convenient for some people.

N30_G30_speed

Angel's Love Slave
a great idea indeed.
Now we have 3 years to get to the whole giant holographic movie marquees, hover boards and flying cars.

Last edited:

SSS

neo retired
shopping for groceries online isn't a new concept. this is just a more visual approach.

Yodd

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
shopping for groceries online isn't a new concept. this is just a more visual approach.

Yeah, but this isn't exactly the same as shopping online. They brought the grocery store ordering to where people were already hanging out, waiting around on a train or what not. Instead of dead time just standing around doing nothing, you can go ahead and knock out your groceries at the same time.

Seems this is a pretty smart thing for people who live in these types of environments.

SSS

neo retired
Yeah, but this isn't exactly the same as shopping online. They brought the grocery store ordering to where people were already hanging out, waiting around on a train or what not. Instead of dead time just standing around doing nothing, you can go ahead and knock out your groceries at the same time.

Seems this is a pretty smart thing for people who live in these types of environments.

I really don't see the big deal. I mean what's to stop me from using the phone to visit safeway.com etc.. and placing the order while I'm waiting for the train anyway.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member

Unless your train comes while you're still shopping. I consider this more advertising than convenience. The space they're using is normally occupied by ads.
Safeway can't do same-day deliveries.
That has everything to do with living in a very densely populated area and not much else.

Last edited:

IoriYagami n8

Genjuro's Frog
I really don't see the big deal. I mean what's to stop me from using the phone to visit safeway.com etc.. and placing the order while I'm waiting for the train anyway.

Adding multiple products through a website on a smartphone takes time, the browsers/apps just aren't as capable at displaying a large amount of information (or selections) without having to do a fair amount of navigation.

It would be much quicker to just look over selections on a large display and scan the QR code.

In short, yes, you could simply navigate the website and do the same thing. However, it isn't as fast or as simple.

Gamefan

OldSkool4Life,
20 Year Member
I would like to see something like this happen in the U.S. but I am sad to say we are probably not close to getting this nor wanting something like this.

GAMEFAN

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
I consider this more advertising than convenience.

This.

All this can do is hope to move enough product to cover the cost of the ad space and generate a profit outside of a physical store space.

Zero Satori

Jaguar Ninja
I would like to see something like this happen in the U.S. but I am sad to say we are probably not close to getting this nor wanting something like this.
I was thinking the same way, it seems, but ultimately stuff like this is always out-of-reach for such a large state like the USA simply because there's so many non-urban areas that wouldn't have any use for such a thing.

It's easy to imagine it if you live and breathe in a place like NYC, Philadelphia, Chicago, Dallas, Seattle, et al., but imagine trying to implant this "Virtual Store" in Upton, Wyoming so that the citizens can get their groceries in-hand before they walk to the community swimming pool.

Kristian Meller

Vanguard Pilot
10 Year Member
I seriously thought the video was a joke for a few seconds there, when they mentioned the name Home Plus.

543614867_34f176891a.jpg

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager

I hate to generalize an entire race here, but why do asians always dance like such queens? I mean, it's hard enough to watch a grown man dancing, but dancing around like your last lover forgot to pull out is just a bit more than I can take.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Americans are so amazingly primitive that they still think drive through liquor stores are a pretty neat idea.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I hate to generalize an entire race here, but why do asians always dance like such queens? I mean, it's hard enough to watch a grown man dancing, but dancing around like your last lover forgot to pull out is just a bit more than I can take.
It's for comedy. They're doing it facetiously because that's what a lot of people find funny here. imo, it's easier to joke like that in a society that doesn't openly acknowledge the existence of homosexuality in the mainstream.

Sixth

Sakura's Bank Manager
It's for comedy. They're doing it facetiously because that's what a lot of people find funny here. imo, it's easier to joke like that in a society that doesn't openly acknowledge the existence of homosexuality in the mainstream.

Oh, I'm laughing with them; it's just more of a 'shit, is there anything that dude won't do on camera' kind of laugh. The Japanese have that same kind of comedy. It's the kind that is so off the wall that it manages to get you to laugh when it's not even clever. Hell, I was laughing like a freakin' idiot just watching the intro to Ping Pong Club.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I love those sort of advertisements, I wish we had them here.

T.A.P.

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
Americans are so amazingly primitive that they still think drive through liquor stores are a pretty neat idea.

BECAUSE THEY ARE.

Now I'm off to get a Big Mac and some whiskey, all without getting out of my SUV.

abasuto

Orgy Hosting Mod
15 Year Member
My first job was helping out at a ma and pa' grocery store. We use to take down a full grocery list for a severely handicap local woman and deliver it to her.

She was about 60 years old, 275lbs and on many occasions would be naked when you entered her house. Butt ass naked in a wheelchair with just a newspaper covering her tits and crotch.

I remember those evenings of thinking "dear fucking god, no one ask her what's on page 3".

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They need Rot in that ad video desperately. XD