why does NES Ghosts 'n' Goblins get so much hate?

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I've noticed that a lot of the internet seems to think this is a bad port. I don't get it, why?

I've always thought it was an excellent port. Other than the graphical/sound hit it's pretty much spot on. Hard as balls, but so is the arcade. Clunky and frustrating controls, but so is the arcade.

It even has the little kidnapping intro and the map overview scenes. For such an early NES game where rom sizes were small, that's a nice touch.

heihachi

Krauser's Henchman
It’s been awhile since ai played it, but it runs really slow and has a ton of flicker. Compares poorly not only to the arcade version but also other NES action games

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
I think it was awesome. The music and sound effects still haunt my dreams. And when you actually beat the game you feel like a demi god.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
What's wrong with nes,ghost'n'goblins simple it was handle by micronics (n)
Got to that before I did. lol

I think the only truly "decent" port Micronics ever did was Elevator Action. G&G isn't as bad as Ikari Warriors or 1942, but that isn't exactly a high bar to clear.

SignOfGoob

Butthurt Enthusiast
20 Year Member
It’s been awhile since ai played it, but it runs really slow and has a ton of flicker. Compares poorly not only to the arcade version but also other NES action games

I don’t know. A great deal of NES games are slow and have tons of flicker. That’s not a distinguishing characteristic…it’s just proof that it’s a NES game.

I’m not a massive fan of the OG but the NES version seemed fine…until better ports, MAME, etc came along in which case I’d just played those if I cared. I’d never touch it now.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I know the arcade is choppy but the NES version is next level choppy. Also, this wasn't made by Capcom internally and it shows (programmed by Micronics). The NES was capable of so much more. I really can't get into the port. My opinion of it being a bad port stands. It's not the worst port ever but definitely not of the quality we expect from Capcom and the NES, even for an early title. I think after the first few titles for the NES, Capcom switched to making NES games in-house.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
It’s been awhile since ai played it, but it runs really slow and has a ton of flicker.
I'm running both back to back on my mister and speedwise the NES port is pretty good. Maybe a little slower? But not much.

I forgot about the flicker, I have extra sprites turned on. Yeah, that kinda sucks.

I'd even say the NES version is better in some ways. The arcade version wants to give you the torch so much it's practically trolling you. And continuing is convoluted which the NES port fixed too.

Last edited:

Tron

Test
15 Year Member
Got to that before I did. lol

I think the only truly "decent" port Micronics ever did was Elevator Action. G&G isn't as bad as Ikari Warriors or 1942, but that isn't exactly a high bar to clear.
Agreed elevator action is a decent enough port as is twin cobra.Still it's a shame gng for nes wasn't a inhouse port by capcom.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Huh.

TIL GNG on NES is not universally loved.

Good enough for me.

Micronics, mao bless.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I somewhat agree that the port probably gets a bit more hate than it deserves. A lot of it I think is because it was handled by Micronics and not Capcom internally. I played it a couple of years ago, and couldn't get past the part climbing up in the cave with all the red devils. It was way too hard. It isn't a horrible port though; there are good things about it, although the NES could've certainly done better (how much better we could've expected in 1986 is up for debate). Players should temper expectations -- look at what else was on the NES in 1986. The game holds the distinction of being the first NES game to use any expansion chips.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I still remember good broken fun with my cousins on Ikari Warriors. 2-player simultaneous games were so hard to come by.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
The NES version is hampered by jerky scrolling and an overall rough look & feel which not only makes some graphics unpleasant to look at but also has an impact on gameplay. Jumping on platforms can be tricky and most enemies move a bit too fast for my liking, definitely faster than in the original. That and a sometimes frustrating level of difficulty may put people off.

That said, I think it's okay for a quick GnG fix, I also like the challenge it gives me. Beating a level definitely feels like an achievement. If I want to really get down to the action I usually go for a Capcom Collection with the game on PSX/PS2 or Mame but for a bit of GnG-flavoured fun the NES port does its job for me.

There's worse, way worse, like the infamous MSX version:

Compared to this the NES port looks and plays like a dream.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
All of the Ghosts n Ghoblins /Ghouls n Ghosts games are too difficult. Mainly because you can't move around after jumping.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
stiff controls, hard difficulty, shitty fucking weapon trolling ... yet I still love the series.

Have any of you played the PSP or newer versions? I haven't played past the 16 bit games.

Last edited: