Why do we call it the "AES"

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Why is it called AES? Why the fuck is it called Neo Geo, thats the real question.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
This name feels kind of forced to me, never really been as official as say the MVS which is proper SNK branding..
What got me thinking this was the other day I glanced at the box of my MV-1A motherboard.. and low and behold, there was the Neo Geo logo with the words "Advanced Entertainment System"
Ok I get it we need to have a way to differentiate the two formats.. but it seems weird calling the home system AES when the arcade format is also stamped with the same branding..
Am I overthinking this? :hammer:
Wasn't the console always officially known as the Advanced Entertainment System? It was because the AES's main competition in Japan was the Nintendo NES (the Genesis wasn't popular in Japan). Instead of the Nintendo Entertainment System, it was the Advanced Entertainment System.

Why is it weird to have the AES branding on the arcade system as well as the console? The MVS/AES were designed to be pretty much one system, with the same technology.
When you look at the AES box/manual/etc. the NEO-GEO logo is always more prominent than the AES/Advanced Entertainment System branding. SNK had to label one the MVS and the other AES, for product differentiation. They couldn't have people buying an AES cart thinking it was for their MVS arcade machine, for example. I think ultimately they were trying to promote the idea that it was all NEO-GEO.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Why is it called AES? Why the fuck is it called Neo Geo, thats the real question.

"Neo Geo" is Greek for "New Earth", which refers to a totally new experience in video games.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Can also be translated to "New World".

Oh, and nice sig you got there, man. :D

Dion

Known Scammer, NeoGeoFreak Co-Founder
So the phrase started from Dion of NGF?

We call it AES because NGF called it AES.

Yes, Dion can take credit for calling the games AES.

AES ORIGINS
NGF started using the term AES in 1998/1999 when we became the exclusive distributor for NeoGeo consumer goods in the USA.
(old dhp mailing lists posts can prove/verify this).

Here are some neo-geo.com posts with further proof of AES term origins

01-06-2001: people admitting NGF coined the term AES
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?1196-AES&daysprune=-1

05-05-2012: Dion Dakis interview by Racketboy
Geddon_jt and Xander Crews credit NGF for coining the term AES.
post #127 from Geddon and post #128 from Xander:
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...by-Racketboy&p=3354314&highlight=#post3354314

THE TERM "AES" AND HOW IT ORIGINATED
The reason we created that term was for reasons of differentiation of the home console in an abbreviated form.

Before we (NGF) coined the term “AES,” people just called it (neogeo) home system/home carts (a term that I didn't care for)

In my personal opinion, calling it "home system/home cart" was lazy, without distinction, and lacked imagination.
With that in mind, I wanted to give it a catchier and popping name for marketing, thread posts, game lists, for use in general
to go along with the terms MVS, Neo CD, etc….

I came up with and pushed the idea of calling the home console system the “AES.”
Chris wasn’t originally a fan of the term, but he saw the future potential in using the term "AES" for system distinction.
We understand that all neogeo systems had "Advanced Entertainment System" on them, but it was a push and a battle that both
Chris and I were willing to take and promote. Our goal was for the world to start referring to the neogeo home system as simply the "AES."

AES is solidified / Possibly bigger than the neo
Despite peoples objections and negative feedback of the term "AES," both Chris and I insisted and referred to the
home console as the "AES" every chance we got. As everyone now knows, the term AES is a permanent fixture and
has even surpassed the name neogeo itself. Most gaming sites now call the system the "AES."

Many people hated the term “AES” and they swore it would never stick.
(as seen in some of the threads below)

04-11-2001: members ask to drop the term "AES" since it was made by NGF.
shawn chimes in on NGF and the term AES
post #08 says “NGF invented the term AES and anyone using that term is an idiot”
Post #09 – Bobak says “NGF coined the term AES” (2001)
Post #32 – another member says “NGF coined the term AES” (2001)
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?1529-To-Shawn-AES-...&daysprune=-1

when Xander was a new member
03-23-2001: Xander Crews asking about the term "AES"
members reply saying NGF started using the term "AES." – check post #04 in which a member quoted me.
http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showthread.php?726-aes-stands-for...&daysprune=-1

1 admin and 3 moderators admit NGF coined the term
geddon_jt, xander crews, bobak, and shawn openly admit the term “AES” was coined by NGF.
Even though those 2 of the moderators aren't really fond of NGF (even though they never met/done business with us),
(one moderator even added custom ranks to Chris and my name, which I personally find childish and amusing)
I appreciate their honesty in admitting the term "AES" was indeed coined by NeoGeoFreak/NGF-USA.

Last edited:

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
AES is solidified
Despite peoples objections and negative feedback of the term "AES," both Chris and I insisted and referred to the
home console as the "AES" every chance we got. As everyone now knows, the term AES is a permanent fixture and
has even surpassed the name neogeo itself. Most gaming sites now call the system the "AES."
I have no problem with 'AES".

It's just a shame this has now been recently overshadowed by the extremely prominent and arguably, much more important;

Tommo coining the term "NGX".

Ah!

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
Blah, blah, blah.

Don't be AESholes, guys.

I don't want to steal any thunder here, but I had Neo-Geo games listed as AES / MVS games on my Neo-Geo website back in 1996.

I also went with 3 letter naming for my consoles when printing out labels for my composite video switcher dating back to 1991 It read like this: ROW 1 [NES, SMS, GEN, TG16, AES]

Just as many of us called the Nintendo Entertainment System the NES.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
I don't want to steal any thunder here, but I had Neo-Geo games listed as AES / MVS games on my Neo-Geo website back in 1996.

I also went with 3 letter naming for my consoles when printing out labels for my composite video switcher dating back to 1991 It read like this: ROW 1 [NES, SMS, GEN, TG16, AES]

Just as many of us called the Nintendo Entertainment System the NES.

yeah, but you listed Riding Hero as one of your top 20 games for the Neo Geo. Your entire site is invalid.

Spoonman

Enemy Chaser
yeah, but you listed Riding Hero as one of your top 20 games for the Neo Geo. Your entire site is invalid.

Sorry if I don't fall into the mindset of most Neo fans where their top 20 list has 19 fighters.

I tend to like genres that are under appreciated.
You don't see many motorcycle racing games with RPG elements.

Anyway, it's MY Top 20 games. Not yours, or anyone else's.
Unlike some websites I don't expect everyone to think exactly like me when it comes to what they like.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
SNK printed "Advanced Entertainment System" right there on the console. On the heels of the "Nintendo Entertainment System", abbreviated "NES", it's no surprise the NES's state-of-the-art contemporary was abbreviated in like fashion.

"AES" was expected. It was going to happen. SNK steered it in that direction.

But AES & NGH have been done. I think it's time to start calling it the Neo Geo "PGS" to better distinguish it from the era's plethora of amateur spec machines. C'mon, the Future is tomorrow, after all, today is almost over.

Last edited:

distropia

SouthTown StreetSweeper
10 Year Member
Back in the days, in my local rental store they put "AES rental" in the shelves from the first game they rented -CyberLip- back in 1993. Not joking. Just abbreviation of what's stamped in the console.
I could contact the ex-owner (still have his cel number) and prove that -with the pics he still have- in presence of a lawyer if needed. I'm bored of people that think they're the center of the universe. What's next? No, don't say, better stay quiet. This is simply ridiculous.

Edit: don't get me wrong, I'm not saying my friend coined the term, just trying to explain that is the natural human path to read a long definition and make an abbreviation of it.

Last edited: