Which 16 bit mortal kombat reigns supreme?

MetalSlugVet

Another Striker
10 Year Member
Wow maybe I should be on the look out for a 32x console so I can check out the mkII port.

If mortal kombat 2 had a lower single player difficulty it would be my favorite fighter of all time. I was like 4 years old at the time that I rented it and it was the first fighting game I ever played. it grabbed me in a way not many games have but also brutally beat me down in frustration.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
I always assumed it was my total lack of skills in fighters that resulted in me being beaten down by the AI.

Maybe I should not of been so hard on myself.....

Slyelessar

n00b
I would say the first game on Genesis was the best on the 16-bit consoles (if you're not including the Sega CD version). The gameplay was closer to the arcade game than the SNES version..

This. I really enjoyed playing the Megadrive version back in the day. Although, I have found myself liking the cuter SNES version recently. The question is, is Scorpion my Waifu?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Thanks. That reaffirms my belief that it's the best 32x game.

Virtua Racing is pretty tits on 32X too.

Kolibri is nothing special gameplay wise but visually it's fantastic.

Knuckles' Chaotix is cool but it takes a bit to wrap your head around the gimmick of the rings. If you have a second player close to your own skill level it really makes the game a lot better.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Virtua Racing is pretty tits on 32X too.

Kolibri is nothing special gameplay wise but visually it's fantastic.

Knuckles' Chaotix is cool but it takes a bit to wrap your head around the gimmick of the rings. If you have a second player close to your own skill level it really makes the game a lot better.

So should I buy a 32x?

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
So should I buy a 32x?

If you can find one cheap, sure. Not sure what they go for these days (I traded an extra OG Xbox I had modded to some guy for a 32X, SEGA CD, Virtual Boy, and Jaguar 10+ years back).

Like I said, the most use I get out of mine is using it as a physical pass through for most JPN Mega Drive carts on my US Genesis.

There are only a handful of games I actually own for it:
Knuckles' Chaotix
Virtua Racing
Mortal Kombat II
After Burner
Space Harrier
Star Wars Arcade
Kolibri

All solid, but the library doesn't run much deeper than that. NBA Jam, but I have that on half a dozen other systems. Virtua Fighter, but the Saturn version is better.

One reason not to buy is if you use a Power Base Converter for Master System games. You can't use both at the same time, and if I'm picking between the two the SMS is a way better system. But I have a standalone SMS.

Also it requires its own power adapter, so if you've got the full Genesis+SEGA CD+32X tower of power going it can get messy. I bought an aftermarket 3-in-1 from some dude on Atariage, does the job.

jro

Gonna take a lot
20 Year Member
you better give us some kind of mini review when you get your copy from eBay

Got it today, played a half-dozen matches or so to test it out, nothing too deep but it's clearly a nice conversion. Good colors, as it's noted for, some extra bass, very responsive. Brutal AI confirmed, IMO- on normal I'd land a few hits per match, on the easiest setting I won two matches then had to resort to spamming jump kicks and sweeps to win. CPU seems to absolutely read the player's special move inputs, it's actually kind of funny how reliably it ducks most projectiles perfectly. As has been noted though, it's a tough game in general and I haven't played the Genesis version in a while so it may be closer, difficulty-wise, than I'm remembering.

Also nice not to have the loading for Shang Tsung's transformations, for sure. Good port.

So should I buy a 32x?

I'd been kind of looking for one off and on for a few years when I ran across one at the Longmont Gameforce in nice condition, I think it was $60 or so, plus they had loose copies of Star Wars Arcade and Virtua Racing. Wanted one as a kid when I had a Genesis but never got one, figured why not.

It's obviously got a small library (42 licensed games, IIRC, including Darxide I think?), but a decent handful of them are pretty fun and/or interesting, which places it solidly ahead of the Jag IMO, which is probably the most comparable system.

Fami covered the basics, only a couple others I'd mention: Tempo is worth a shot, made by the same guy who made Bonk on Turbo and it shows, though the Saturn sequel is better. The 32x version of Blackthorne is good, but you won't probably won't like it if you dislike pre-rendered graphics. It has a really wonky version of Pitfall: The Mayan Adventure with nice character sprites and a completely bizarre framerate where the sprites update at 1/3 the speed of the background. The Amazing Spider-Man: Web of Fire is a good conversation piece but a terrible game.

For the price, it's not a bad deal at all, but you don't want to have super high expectations.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Genesis/MD Everdrives play 32X games too (with a 32X connected obviously).

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Thanks guys. The 32x is totally on my "if I bump into it and it's not a rip-off I'll buy it" list.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Technically the MS-DOS version of Mortal Kombat 1 is the best of all the home ports, but outside of Dosbox, nobody seems to like having old PC hardware around, much less see a hobby in sculpting a happy config.sys and autoexec.bat combo.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Technically the MS-DOS version of Mortal Kombat 1 is the best of all the home ports, but outside of Dosbox, nobody seems to like having old PC hardware around, much less see a hobby in sculpting a happy config.sys and autoexec.bat combo.

LGR (Lazy Game Reviews) loves that stuff as does 8bitguy. As much as I like those shows I still wouldn't go out of my way to setup a 80s/90s computer for gaming. But there are people into it.

titchgamer

Guerilla Warrior
Out of interest has anyone played/supported the MK+ project?

It looks pretty cool but from what I gather they are all still WIP and can only be played on certain versions of mame.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I never got a 32X and I boxed up my genesis when I got a Mega SG. I don’t want to pull out a CRT...should I get a 32X, their proprietary DAC and the special cable to connect the Mega SG to the 32X and then connect that to my upscaler?

Are there enough games to make it worth that?

Mr. Mort

Another Striker
I never got a 32X and I boxed up my genesis when I got a Mega SG. I don’t want to pull out a CRT...should I get a 32X, their proprietary DAC and the special cable to connect the Mega SG to the 32X and then connect that to my upscaler?

Are there enough games to make it worth that?

It depends on your tastes. There are about 42 officially released 32X games, but that’s a little bit of a hassle to set up for about 20 decent games. If you like Sega’s arcade games (After Burner, Space Harrier, Virtua Racing
& Fighter, etc., then go for it. There are some other cool Games too, like Tempo, Knuckles’ Chaotix, Kolibri, etc.