What's a good Wireless Router for the PS3?

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
I know that some people have had problems using their PS3 wirelessly. I still have a wired router, but I want to upgrade now that I have a Wii and PS3. I was thinking something simple like the Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router WRT54G. It's about $50 and I was hoping to avoid spending more for a Wireless N router. Any advice would be appreciated.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Haven't hooked my PS3 up to it yet as I still have that on the standard LAN, but I recently got an NEC Aterm WR7850S, primarily for my PSP.

Works a treat, and although it was a bit of a pain to set up at first, actually hooking the PSP up to it was a piece of cake as you can just use the raku raku NEC connection functionality built into the PSP (I think the Nintendo kit has this too).

This is all based on my situation in Japan though, so things may be different in the US.

soopafamicom

Windjammers Wonder
ironish said:
I know that some people have had problems using their PS3 wirelessly. I still have a wired router, but I want to upgrade now that I have a Wii and PS3. I was thinking something simple like the Linksys 802.11g Wireless Router WRT54G. It's about $50 and I was hoping to avoid spending more for a Wireless N router. Any advice would be appreciated.

I was using convential wired ADSL (am on aol), and took a chance and bought a Netgear DG834G wireless modem router.

All I had to do was uninstall the standard modem and remove the software, stick in the new boot disk and after filling in a few details for the pc and ps3 they all work superb and havent had any probs yet at all.

The ps3 seems to download stuff a lot faster than my pc does,the GTHD demo took about 90mins for all its 600+mb to download, plus I don't need to have the pc on to go online with the ps3.

Blue Steel

previously "bubu_X"
ironish said:
Any Wireless router is probably gonna get the job done. I guess some might be better, easier to setup, etc. though. I just got a Belkin Wireless G+ MIMO router at Best Buy for $60 and it's the second best type of router as far as distance and power. So I'd recommend that one, I only checked Staples before buying it at Best Buy (Staples didn't even have it).

Superfamifreak

Ralf & Clark's Drinking Buddy
20 Year Member
I have the WRT54G and it's never given me any trouble running anything, so you should be fine with that.

Fakk2

Crossed Swords 2 Bootleg Artist.,
dgl-4300

get the gamers lounge d-link dgl-4300, it is the best by far!

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
i hate the wrt54g with a passion. that shit would never work with the modems verizon uses for dsl.

i bought a buffalo router, the one thats around $50. love the interface.

it supports aoss and shit too (for your wii/ds)

ironish

Dodgeball Yakuza
Thanks for the suggestions. I've been looking up reviews of all the routers.

@Fakk: I didn't realize D-Link made one hell of a router. I always thought they weren't very high quality.

After I posted this I remembered going to the inlaws cabin for a ski trip. They had a Linksys wireless router (I'm not sure which one). I was about 5 feet away on a laptop, with no walls between me. That thing totally sucked. I lagged so bad it was pretty much unplayable. People quit out of playing 1v1 Starcraft games with me. That's one of the reasons I prefer a wired connection, but the PS3 is downstairs in the living room.

It also sounds like many of the problems people were having with PS3 wireless was not just limited to the PS3. It sounds like it has way more to do with the router rather than the system itself. All reviews I've seen complain about dropped connections and bad lag. Guess I have to get a really good router.

Last edited: