, What The Fuck Is This Shit?
20 Year Member
Watched this last night.
Oh glorious violence.

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
@Taiso

I'm assuming you've seen this already but it'll be amusing if a fan-made animation ends up looking better and being better than Berserk 2016.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
@Taiso

I'm assuming you've seen this already but it'll be amusing if a fan-made animation ends up looking better and being better than Berserk 2016.

Yeah I've seen it. For a fan effort it's impressive but my question is how long it's supposed to be. Is it a movie length presentation or just a 20 minute clip show? I have questions.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Watched the first few episodes of Kaiju no. 8. It's perfectly fine. It fits very comfortably in the battle-manga-turned-anime tradition currently exemplified by Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man, even if it's not as creative or interesting as either.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Watched the first few episodes of Kaiju no. 8. It's perfectly fine. It fits very comfortably in the battle-manga-turned-anime tradition currently exemplified by Jujutsu Kaisen and Chainsaw Man, even if it's not as creative or interesting as either.
I keep up with the manga and it's fun.

Simple and mindless battle manga/anime usually gets the OK from me as long as it is decent.

I finally caught up with Dungeon Meshi and it is definitely my current favorite--the rare excellent blend of mixing light-hearted fun and true moments of dark storytelling.

Last edited:

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
I finally caught up with Dungeon Meshi and it is definitely my current favorite--the rare excellent blend of mixing light-hearted fun and true moments of dark storytelling.
I really like it, too. It meanders a bit here and there but it's overall a very quirky, offbeat and satisfying series.

Having read all of the manga, I don't believe they will even begin to touch on the WInged Lion in any satisfactory capacity. I'm predicting either a second season or a truncated/altered ending with only 24 episodes for the run.

If they do a shortened second season, that 'dark storytelling' you mentioned definitely comes to the forefront with the Winged Lion. It effortlessly shifts tones at will without missing a beat.

The animation quality is fantastic.

Marcille is absolutely adorable.

I love all four of the principle characters so much. I don't think it measures up to Frieren in any capacity but that is an extremely high bar. Between that and this, fantasy is making a welcome comeback to the medium. Isekai has dominated for far too long and overall, it's the shittiest and laziest genre in all of anime and manga.

Another thing I love about both Frieren and Delicious in Dungeon is that they are both over 20 episodes long (28 and 24, respectively) and I am so glad for that. Feels like watching anime before the awful 'coer' era.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
I really like it, too. It meanders a bit here and there but it's overall a very quirky, offbeat and satisfying series.

Having read all of the manga, I don't believe they will even begin to touch on the WInged Lion in any satisfactory capacity. I'm predicting either a second season or a truncated/altered ending with only 24 episodes for the run.

If they do a shortened second season, that 'dark storytelling' you mentioned definitely comes to the forefront with the Winged Lion. It effortlessly shifts tones at will without missing a beat.

The animation quality is fantastic.

Marcille is absolutely adorable.

I love all four of the principle characters so much. I don't think it measures up to Frieren in any capacity but that is an extremely high bar. Between that and this, fantasy is making a welcome comeback to the medium. Isekai has dominated for far too long and overall, it's the shittiest and laziest genre in all of anime and manga.

Another thing I love about both Frieren and Delicious in Dungeon is that they are both over 20 episodes long (28 and 24, respectively) and I am so glad for that. Feels like watching anime before the awful 'coer' era.
I've kept up with the manga as well so I know what's up there.

Not sure what kind of momentum the show is getting since I don't follow any of that kind of stuff, but I truly hope it has pulled enough numbers to warrant more proper seasons and to keep the budget where it is.

Either way, Studio Trigger has been firing on all cylinders lately--dropped the phenomenal Edgerunners and now this.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Finally watched Kaiju No. 8 and it definitely translates better than I thought and I immediately prefer it here than in manga form.

Teaser trailer dropped for Sakamoto Days and I'm curious to see how that goes. There is some absolutely top-tier panels in its manga form and I hope that translates properly on screen.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
Redacted.

Wrong thread.

Last edited:

terry.330

Black Tank Top Enthusiast
20 Year Member
Yeah, gotta go see this in theaters.

I heard this and Super Dimension Macross: Do You Remember Love are both coming out of Japan for the 1st time.
Check out Belladonna Of Sadness that I was telling you about the other day.

herb

Viewpoint Vigilante
10 Year Member
Started Galaxy Express 999. 4 episodes in and I'm really enjoying it.

2Heed

Angel's Love Slave
20 Year Member
Forgot to mention that I finished Attack on Titan, including the Fourth "Final" Season, the specials, and the Fifth/prequel/actual final season. Talk about confusing.

So...yeah. Spoilers ahead.

Generally speaking, I hate the following in any media: clones, alternate realities, and time skips. AoT has the latter, in which season 4 picks up 5 years after season 3. Although the author of the manga has stated that he knew how the show would end, it honestly feels like he had an epiphany following a long break of writing where he just said, "screw this, I'll subvert expectations." Because of the drastic change in some characters, it doesn't feel as fleshed-out as it should be, especially considering how well-paced the previous seasons were. There's a ton of lore, revelations, and motivations to unpack, and it's so dense on the whole it's hard to start. I'll keep this concise:

Eren's turn to tyranny isn't a shock, given how his vengeful side is such a major component to his character. However, his long-term planning to get to this endgame doesn't feel earned based on his (to this point) short-term thinking process. Eren has been consistently portrayed as impulsive, reckless, and emotionally immature, and suddenly becomes a stoic strategist with the flick of a switch.

The biggest issue I have is how everyone (ESPECIALLY Armin) is willing to give Eren the benefit of the doubt FAR too often, with the rest of the crew joining in without critical thought. Again, especially in Armin's case, this doesn't feel earned. Armin is the moral backbone of the scouts; he's the first to speak up and avoid unnecessary carnage to approach things from a diplomatic angle. That all gets tossed out the window with his participation in Eren's initial raid, and constant speculation about how Eren might somehow be in the right or planning at something else that they just can't see yet.

I mentioned in an earlier post that I'd rewatch this, but it's exhausting just remembering the 4th season and how depressing it is. The Fifth season with the prequel episodes (Levi's history prior to joining the scouts, Jean and his mother, etc.) were a return to form.

And last but not least, the ending credit scene where a plane flies into a building and begins a terrorist war? GTFO.

Last edited:

terry.330

20 Year Member
Street Fighter II: The Animated Movie- I picked up the 4k release and it's pretty solid. The movie still holds up and is arguably still the best SF adaptation. It looks great in 4k, but then I don't think I've seen it since the VHS days. Still the animation is nice and at times pretty impressive. It's the tail end of that era of animation and has a lot of nice little flourishes and details that would almost disappear in a couple years. Just little things like Chun Li turning on her tube amp stereo, Guile driving a Shelby Cobra etc. The 4k disc has all the audio and subtitle options as well as both international and original Japanese versions of the movie.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Looks like they slapped Hell's Paradise onto Netflix and that has been fun.

I did the whole manga a while back and figured it would make for a solid dumb-fun time and it does.

terry.330

20 Year Member
Been watching Iria: Zeiram The Animation, never seen all 6 episodes before. It's better than I remember (except for the annoying ass little kid in episode 2, fuck him) and does tie into the live action movie better than I thought it would. Good stuff overall and I think it's a bit underrated.

Banger of and opening as well.

Taiso

Outside of Causality
20 Year Member
You dollfuckers need to watch Frieren: Beyond Journey's End.