What anime are you watching?

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Rewatched all of it and the movies (most of them for the first time) a few years back and found myself appreciating it a lot for what it is and how important it was, but ultimately didn't enjoy it that much.

Visually, there is some top-tier artistry to be found, but story-wise it's a bit of a muddled mess. The movies honestly make the experience much worse for me since immediately after watching them all (often just a day between), I couldn't stop mixing them together so what happened in what movie is a total mystery to me without reading a full synopsis.

I also kind of hate it when artists go back and try to "fix" aspects of their older works and the films feel like that to the nth degree.

I'd still consider the series a must-watch if you're into anime as whether you like it or not it is still a very important piece of work in that medium.

Last edited:

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
About to be watching the Riding Bean re-issue whenever it ships. AnimEigo just sold to Crunchyroll/RiteStuf/somefuckingbody-_______ (Happy retirement, Robert!) can’t remember I’m faded.

Tl;dr-delux BRD set just restocked, for the last time. This is the last OEM AnimEigo release. If that shit matters to you, cop it!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
About to be watching the Riding Bean re-issue whenever it ships. AnimEigo just sold to Crunchyroll/RiteStuf/somefuckingbody-_______ (Happy retirement, Robert!) can’t remember I’m faded.

Tl;dr-delux BRD set just restocked, for the last time. This is the last OEM AnimEigo release. If that shit matters to you, cop it!
Cool. Love Riding Bean. Thanks to you mentioning it, I'm listening to Road Buster right now.

When I was a teenager, I messaged Phil Perry on MySpace telling him I loved his songs on Riding Bean. I didn't expect a response but soon afterwards his wife responded and told me something about his experience doing the Riding Bean soundtrack. We messaged a few more times and she invited me to go with them on a cruise, I guess a thing they were doing for Phil's fans. A pity those messages are long gone from cyberspace now.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
Appreciate the feedback on Evangelion. I'd heard it had a depressing, muddled plot with pretentious, pseudo-philosophical rhetoric. Doesn't sound like it'll be my next go round.

AoT is pretty heavy and dense (this 4th season is almost like a new show thus far with its time jump, shift in locale, and new characters) and something tells me I'll need a palette cleanser after this. What are people's thoughts on Trigun?

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
What are people's thoughts on Trigun?
Haven't watched it in over 20 years but I was surprised how much I liked it (the fans were big weebs), no idea if I would now. There were some cool ideas, great animation, and memorable villains. Shouldn't take long to power through in 26 episodes.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Trigun rules.

It's pretty short and self-contained, so it's not like it requires a big investment of time.

It has a lot of great characters, themes, and honestly pretty slick animation/art/style that makes it sort of timeless.

They put out a movie in 2010 that can give you a good feel for the show if you just want to watch that to see what it's about.

radiantsvgun

They call him Mr. Windy
15 Year Member
Since I have a real lunch break at my current job, I’ll zone out and watch some shows. I’m currently watching Tekkaman blade, i enjoyed the bad USA dub as a kid and the show itself still holds up imo.

The sub episode are on YT. Here

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
IMG_1437.jpeg
About to be watching this one. The kids and I will be there opening weekend!

Sammy/SNK-FAN

New Challenger
Currently into 80’s and 90’s OVA’s. Just watched Geno Cyber (crazy art), Appleseed, Gall Force: Eternal Story, Riding Bean (one of my favorites), and Gunsmith Cats. Theses nothing quite like the old hand drawn cell art!

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Been re-watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it's better than I remember. I think initially I was disappointed because it's so clean and modern looking compared to the original movie and even 2. I still think overall it's a little too sterile looking and the animation quality could be a bit higher, though there are definitely moments where you can tell they put in some extra effort. Story wise is where it really shines, cyber crimes and political intrigue done in a mature and intelligent way. Even the stand alone episodes are well thought out, hell they're some of the best ones actually.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Very suitable a user with the name kuze liked your post.

Been re-watching Ghost in the Shell: SAC, it's better than I remember. I think initially I was disappointed because it's so clean and modern looking compared to the original movie and even 2. I still think overall it's a little too sterile looking and the animation quality could be a bit higher, though there are definitely moments where you can tell they put in some extra effort. Story wise is where it really shines, cyber crimes and political intrigue done in a mature and intelligent way. Even the stand alone episodes are well thought out, hell they're some of the best ones actually.

Last week I walked exactly like the guy who got knocked the fuck out by that huge guy who started blasting away in the hallway in the episode with Fidel Castro clones.

Great first season.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
Watched a couple of City Hunter OVAs

Bay City Wars
Million Dollar Conspiracy

Both were pretty enjoyable and like most things CH have a nice balance of comedy and action. My only gripe is that neither had an intro, just a title screen and then the credits rolled on top of the first couple minutes of the movies. Felt like a missed opportunity since so much of the anime in that era have incredible intros. Nothing better than a highly stylized old school anime intro set to some city pop.

Last edited:

herb

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
I'm not super into Gundam, but Mobile Fighter G is one of the series I love and I always wondered why they never made more stuff like it.
Same here. It's the only Gundam I enjoy since it's rid of all that goofy ass geopolitical stuff

100proof

Insert Something Clever Here
10 Year Member
The wife and I went to the Spy Family movie the other night. It was more or less an arc/110 minute episode of the show: equal parts silly, cloyingly wholesome and over-the-top action-y. They squeeze in every character where they can, reuse a lot of footage from the show and it doesn't move the larger story an inch but that's anime movies for you. I'd certainly recommend it to those who enjoy the show and if you're not interested in watching ~25 episodes of the show, it explains the premise pretty clearly up front so you can still enjoy yourself for under two hours.

Taiso

Remembers The North
20 Year Member
Frieren: Beyond Journey's End

Is an absolute masterpiece. It is proof that I can like new things. I put it in my '1A' tier with Gundam and Giant Robo: the Animation.

The gist of it is that there was a group of heroes that gathered to defeat 'the Demon King' eighty years prior. Two humans, a dwarf and an elf. Their feats were legendary, enough so that statues were built in their honor, they saved the land and everyone in it.

For Himmel and Heiter (paladin and priest), the two humans, and Eisen (warrior) the dwarf, it was the adventure of a lifetime. Their lives are shorter than Frieren (wizard) the elf, and she doesn't quite understand the passage of time. It was a quest that took ten years to complete. To humans and dwarves, this is a significant portion of their existences but for elves, it's next to nothiing. There is a part in the first episode where the heroes are separating after their victory has been celebrated and it's clear that their journey is over. She says 'I'll see you all in about 50 years' and goes off to look for rare and obscure spells. The other three sort of chuckle at this for obvious reasons: there is no guarantee that any of them will still be around in 50 years but that is just the way Frieren is.

When she does return, Himmel (the 'hero') is a wizened old man and she has a hard time with it. The group gathers to watch a star fall, an event equivalent to Haley's Comet, and shortly thereafter Himmel dies and is given a hero's funeral.

Frieren begins to understand what it is to lose people you never realized were close to her. She has regret and feels pain about this and this is something all new for her. She had all the time in the world but never really thought about how deep the bonds ran with those people. She wishes she'd taken the time to get to know Himmel better but now it's too late.

This is all just the first episode.

The series, at its core, is about understanding the relationships we forge through hard times. It's just as much about the mark you leave on the world by your deeds. Frieren will always remember what they did to save the world...but will anyone else? In a hundred years, will anyone even remember what the statues built in their honor are supposed to represent? Will anyone remember their deeds and honor those, or will they forget and be dismissive of the sacrifices made, the lives lost and the pain endured so that they could enjoy a quality of life they'd have otherwise been denied?

This is a story about memory and the fear of losing it.

Frieren learns, very early on, that one can travel north to 'the place where all souls gather' and it is, perhaps ironically, it's in the same place where the party slew the Demon King all those years ago. She decides to go there and talk with Himmel because she misses him now and, given the chance to speak with him again, is eager to see him once more.

Heiter and Eisen are too old to make that journey now but they each impart their wards to Frieren to take with her on her trip. Fern (best girl) is a young wizard that has been cared for by Heiter ever since she was orphaned and Stark, Eisen's student until they had a falling out, is an ax wielding young man that has all the talent in the world to be a great hero but none of the confidence. They are the avatars for the old party Frieren used to journey with and will carry the wills of their forebears into the future. I suspect that both Heiter and Eisen don't believe they will survive to see their young charges again so they are hoping to speak to them when they visit the place where souls gather just to see them one more time before they move on.

The story is about Frieren retracing her steps from that first great adventure eighty years ago and along the way, she receives epiphany after epiphany about the world and how she sees it after Himmel's great influence on her.

It's a story of growth, evolution and the wisdom gained from experience.

It is a new story with an old soul.

The production values are 'god tier', as they say. The voice acting (Japanese only), soundtrack, animation, colors, art and pacing are all top notch. This is a thoughtful series that takes it time and has masterful pacing. The action is all but peerless in terms of its technical prowess, it's funny when it needs to be funny and no single sentiment overstays its welcome. It is a serious story but it also takes the time to be amusing when it needs to. Frieren always falls for mimic traps and the comical way in which these predicaments are resolved never gets old.'

The OST is among the best anime OST I've ever heard. It is on par with Susumu Hirasawa's excellent OST for Berserk from 1997. It is as good as anything Hiroyuki Sawano has done for Gundam. It is as good as the OST for Giant Robo: the Animation. Evan Call has composed a masterpiece and stands on its own as a magnificent album to enjoy for just about any occasion.

The voice acting is spot on for every character. Frieren sounds disinterested and aloof but she's just very subtle about what she says and how to say it. Fern is delightfully composed but has these ultra cute moments where she loses her temper over the silliest teenager quibbles and how it plays out is, dare I say it, adorable. But she's a force to be reckoned with and is hands down my favorite character in the story. Stark is a capable warrior who has the best reactions out of any character in the series and is the only cast member to get 'anime manic' with some of his astonishing responses to absurd situations.

The old hero party Frieren was appear in frequent flashbacks that have allegorical significance to the current events, so much so that they feel like regular cast members walking beside Frieren's current crew even though you don't see them together at the same time.

But I've already said too much. If you haven't watched Frieren: Beyond Journey's End, I strongly urge you to watch it. It is, to me, a transformative anime that saved modern anime for me and proved that a 28 episode series can still work. It defies the short attention span the modern anime fan has developed and demands attention.

6 out of 5. Modern masterpiece in every way.