Video Gaming and Materialism: What are your thoughts?

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
I liquidated my collection in its entirety between the years of '06 and '08. I haven't been tempted to reacquire any of it since that time.

That is no small thing, as heavy as you were in the scene. Has a new hobby(ies) taken gaming's place? Or just a paradigm shift in total, and no more 'collecting' at all?

Steve

The Wonder Years,
I like keeping things simple. I have 5 systems, but only play 1 with any sort of consistency: SNES. Still 100s of games for me to explore for the very first time, so I'm set gaming-wise for the next 10 years or so.

Agreed with others, don't overthink it. If you want to sell something you're certain you won't regret, then sell it. If you think you might regret selling it, hang onto it. Gaming is gaming. Don't get too caught up because that's when you're most likely to burn yourself out in this hobby.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
A few years ago I think I noticed things were a problem because I spent more time shopping on ebay, and arranging my game library, and making lists of "wants" way more then I actually played games.

I feel myself approaching this sometimes. I have a MASSIVE want list that just grows every week. There must be virtual thousands of dollars on that list. Crazy.
Most big wants lists have to be kept as a long term goal I believe. Thats what helps me keep it in perspective.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
I feel sorry for you.

Why's that?

Just wondering.

Hearing the opening theme to The Legend of Zelda makes so many emotions rush through my head... Takes me to a happier time.

A time when all I had to worry about what I was going to do the next day.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Why's that?

Just wondering.

Hearing the opening theme to The Legend of Zelda makes so many emotions rush through my head... Takes me to a happier time.

A time when all I had to worry about what I was going to do the next day.
I took it that he during the ages of 16-22, video games were the highlight of his life.

If that's the case then.....

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
VIDEOGAMING & MATERIALISM...
is that the same as videogaming and collecting? Is collecting games materialistic, or is it simply a byproduct of a mentality that prefers to hold on to the games they love, well... as opposed to not doing.

I've read all of what has been said here already over the last 2 pages, and I can definitely relate to parts of everyones experiences or opinions here and there. Like lists, for example. I have a constant 'virtual' list of titles in my mind at all times. It doesn't get in the way of life or anything, but as soon as I hit a gaming event or a store serious about multi-gen gaming, my mind goes into auto-pilot when I come in contact with the products. For example, if someone asked me right now: what games are you looking for for 'x' system (specifc format: PAL or NTSC etc), I could reel off a pretty concise list, here and now. Let's face it, that's NOT healthy. Doesn't matter which way I try and paint that... it's just not. BUT... I do get a satisfaction from near completing the structures I have laid out for my collections/formats. And nowadays, condition matters - as doe show complete the item is. Don't blame me for that. Blame the Japanese. I would innocently order a low-value title for my DC or something - with listed grading 'acceptable'... and when it arrives and I open it all up, it would be MINT! Unlike here, in the UK, where toilet roll sold as 'new' comes pre-stained. The constant intake of immaculate, beautiful and well cared for gaming items from Japan ruined my more carefree nature towards gaming. Definitely.

'Collections'... just read that back and it sounds like I buy to collect. I don't... not primarily. I actually buy to play, and if I like the game enough, it can remain with me. If not, it gets sold. I'm not a completist. That's a mentality I'll never fully grasp. Who f*ck wants a full 'western' Sega Saturn collection for the right reasons. The reasons being, in my own opinion, to own and enjoy the games you ACTUALLY give a sh*t about. Not Hardcore 4x4 or Trash IT 'just for the collection'. For example, I recently acquired HC4x4 for Saturn, and I can reassuredly confirm, it will be weeded out soon enough. Doubt I'll sell it though. Couldn't do that to a man.

Another psychological transference from childhood to adulthood, I think (for some/many?) plays a bit of a role here too... and for me, it was that I had to trade the f*ck up... playground, friends, not friends etc to make progressions and changes to my existing systems and games as a child - as I didn't have money to simply acquire games I wanted - and keep them. As many no doubt here have already experienced, the nostalgic pull of revisiting a system you had as a child can be great... even greater, the financial means to explore the system like you couldn't before as a youth and extract the full potential from a system you once adored, and fall in love again (no, I'm not talking about Tigergame.com here). SNES', MD's, NES' etc are likely culprits here, traded in long ago for Saturns and PS1's etc (hmmm... or Jaguar *gulp* like I did *don't hit me*).

So, I'd say a combination of all sorts of psychological defects and inconsistencies in my personality (OCD chestnut thrown in here for good measure) have lead up to me being a player/collector/materialistic f*ck. But, I'm only materialistic about games - because... I love 'em.

Sorry for rambling. I do that. Should be banned. Not probably.

HeartlessNinny

Heartlessness is a virtue
You know, all this really does boil down to a pretty simple idea:

If you like games, great. Just don't let 'em rule your life.

That's pretty much it, right? Am I missing something here?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I liquidated my collection in its entirety between the years of '06 and '08. I haven't been tempted to reacquire any of it since that time.
It's like you to pull the plug completely, rather than taking a slow and reasonable approach. If you ever cared about those games, which you obviously did, it seems reasonable to keep some of them around. This 'all or nothing' approach just reflects moodiness rather than long-term thinking.

Adderall

Leona's Therapist
I had a giant purge of console stuff around '05. I had been thinking about it for about a year when I decided to do it. A buddy on a different forum was starting a gaming store in Ohio or Indiana somewhere and was buying bulk to get off the ground. I indexed and priced everything about 70% off the value so he could start his business. It felt great to help someone else do something cool.

Since then I've slowly gotten back consoles here and there - but now I use a flashcart/modchip solution whenever possible.... I think it's the perfect mix for playing TehROMZ (ie - not having 10 million carts to worry about) but still keeping the hardware and feeling of the console.

As for arcade games... I have to play it on my cab to know if I like it. Some games are just going to stay in my cab a lot longer than others. If I find myself never playing something then I sell it.

TonK

Least Valuable Player
You know, all this really does boil down to a pretty simple idea:

If you like games, great. Just don't let 'em rule your life.

That's pretty much it, right? Am I missing something here?

No, there's quite a few different angles to this.

And it's not just with games.

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I took it that he during the ages of 16-22, video games were the highlight of his life.

If that's the case then.....

It's just like TonK said. I had it all, everything I wanted in life, at that point in time. They were not the highlight but I was able to enjoy the shit out of them back then.

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
When it comes to games, I usually get rid of anything I haven't touched at least once in 6 -12 months. My collection is limited and simple to keep track of, so for me that makes it easy to enjoy. 2 candies, a home system, and a handful of consoles/carts/pcb's is enough for me to have fun and enjoy the hobby.

wataru330

Mr. Wrestling IV
20 Year Member
Get a rombox. Try before you buy= don't get bogged down by useless/non crucial stuff.

2Heed

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
20 Year Member
You are still in school? Grad school I hope. If you aren't, you haven't experienced enough.

Because everybody knows that you can only attend college from ages 18-24 if you aren't at least going for your master's or phd...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I've called it quits with the end of the previous gen gaming. Whatever I have already are keepers, and whatever I haven't I don't have the desire to go after. After all, gaming is mostly nostalgia for me.

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
I've called it quits with the end of the previous gen gaming. Whatever I have already are keepers, and whatever I haven't I don't have the desire to go after. After all, gaming is mostly nostalgia for me.
I'M THERE RIGHT NOW...
with current gen gaming. If it wasn't for the likes of a few certain titles for my PS3 and Wii, I'dve long sold them off by now (i.e. KOFXIII, MotorStorm series, Yakuza 3&4, Sin & Punishment 2 etc).

As far as I'm concerned though, I'm 90% certain that I'm definitely done now with 'new' gaming ventures. Backwards will by my top-gear (6th, nowadays?) going forwards... if you get me.

xb74

Gai's Trainer
10 Year Member
I'M THERE RIGHT NOW...
with current gen gaming. If it wasn't for the likes of a few certain titles for my PS3 and Wii, I'dve long sold them off by now (i.e. KOFXIII, MotorStorm series, Yakuza 3&4, Sin & Punishment 2 etc).

As far as I'm concerned though, I'm 90% certain that I'm definitely done now with 'new' gaming ventures. Backwards will by my top-gear (6th, nowadays?) going forwards... if you get me.

+1 except for Resident Evil 6 and DOA 5.

Sherlin

Natural Born Killer,
15 Year Member
This thread has really hit home with me. In short, I've found that the stresses of heading a family, a job, and just growing older are masked by my passion for video games. I think these stresses are what really fuel the passion. It lets me escape to a time when things were more simple.....childhood. And that can be a very dangerous trap.

Thanks for all of your posts.

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
I had a reply ready and then I saw Kate Upton's bouncing tits and completely forgot what was going on in this thread.

My goodness they are memerizing and beautiful. And shes not even trying hard either; shes just walking normal...

I'm more of a collector than a gamer now. I tell myself, it is only going to get more difficult/expensive to get a game that I really want, so I may as well get it now even if I don't have the time to play it. This is usually the case for the many RPGs I have that I haven't even played. I tell myself, in the future I will have the time to play and enjoy them, even if I have to wait for retirement. Also, I will pass them down to my kids. This could very well be faulty logic as I could be hit by a car and die tomorrow, but thats the way I look at it. Undoubtably, the money could also go toward better things, but there is a certain satisfaction about owning something you really want that is very powerful.