UNIVERSE BIOS v2.0 released.

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
20 Year Member
It's finally here and as you can see from the whatsnew (below) lots of things are changed and fixed. Please remember alot of effort has gone into this version and I need to say a special thankyou to thegreathopper for the loan of his AES and SSVS and to the people who helped cover the shipping costs. Without them the SSVS fatality fix would not have happened as fast as it did.

You can grab the new version from the UNIVERSE BIOS homepage (www.universebios.com). Please remember to follow the terms of use if you have your own EPROM programmer and remember donations are always welcome :)

Feedback to this thread welcome.

Raz

WHATS NEW IN VERSION 2.0

IMPORTANT.
  • This release will totally reset the MVS backup memory. This means UNIVERSE BIOS settings, SoftDIPs, and game settings will be lost. This will also happen when upgrading from a previous version. You will need to enter initial soft dip settings again. Multislot users will need to set the 'game select' softDIP to free if you wish to allow game swapping before entering credits. Regions stored on memory cards (AES users) will also be lost until set up again but saved game data will not be lost.
Samurai Shodown 5 Special related stuff.
  • Removed the protection stoping the game from running in Arcade mode on AES hardware.
  • Added a cheat to unlock fatalities which were censored out of the AES original cart.
  • Added a cheat to fix the round win sounds that were broke in the AES original cart.
  • Added some game cheats to the database for the game.
  • Added CRC info into the CRC database (for the original AES cart only so far).
  • Fixed the NeoGeo logo in the splash screen when this game used (it was not centered).
  • Fixed sound in the Jukebox if accessed from system power on.
Changes
  • Added code to fully reset backup RAM when a MVS system is run for the first time with the UNIVERSE BIOS installed. This is to ensure correct SoftDIP compatability is maintained.
  • Added A new Patch Memory option to the In game menu.
  • Exiting the In game menu is now done by pressing button C.
  • Added a reboot option from the exception error screen.
  • Improved the splash screen (this could still be subject to change).
  • Improved the multislot only game selecting screen (shows before jukebox and CRC check).
  • Improved the Jukebox sound initilize routine. This results in the 'error starting sound' error showing less when entering the jukebox, espicially with some older games.
  • Disabling the startup hardware test now also skips the callender test.
  • You will now see a Blue sreen on AES hardware if you power on the unit with no game in.
  • Removed the 'game select' softdip remembering code added in v1.3 because it never worked.
Fixes
  • Fixed an Addres Error that only affected SLOT2 hardware happening after the unibios splash screen if the 'bootup HW test' was disabled from the unibios general settings.
  • Fixed the force AES option (shows when system has a hardware fault) so it now sets up a default Region of 'Europe', mode of 'Console' and also sets up the default soft dips.
  • Fixed the rogue green pixel strips that appeared on screen momentarily during the fade in and out of the splash screen (mainly visable on AES hardware only).
  • Fixed the rogue pixel strips that could sometimes appear on screen momentarily during entering and exiting the in game menu (this problem only happened sometimes).
  • Fixed a small issue that could make some softdips become messed on multislot hardware for games not in slot1 (mslug3 and kof2001 for example).
  • Fixed a possible language soft dip display issue with Rage of the Dragons.
  • Fixed an issue that affected soft dips in 'Street Hoop' when in Japan region. While its not perfect its still far better than it was (dips are now correctly named).
  • Fixed an issue that affected soft dips in 'Samurai Shodown 4' & 'Samurai Shodown 5' when in Japan region (in relation to the blood setting). While not perfect you can now turn on Blood far easier than before.
  • Fixed a issue that caused WindJammers to crash after the bonus bowling level.
  • Fixed the MVS version of kof2001 to romove the small green line that appeared across the screen in console mode, problem produced from the menu color fixes added in v1.3.
  • Fixed the MVS version of kof2003 so that when in the cheat database the ammount of cheats is now displayed instead of a blank space.
Cheats and CRC
  • Added cheat to enable '4way battle mode' in Kizuna Encounter.
  • Added a cheat to play as Zankuro in samurai shodown 3.
  • Fixed Rage of the Dragons 1up infinite energy cheat from locking up the game at the end of a round if game timer runs down to zero.
  • Added a cheat to force Japanese language in kof2003 as there is a problem with the game not setting a Japan language on multislot hardware when in Japan region.
  • Added crc for a new found 2020 super baseball version.

Last edited:

firebomber

Astra Superstar
Awesome. I'm especially ooking foward to the kof2k3 fix and being able to play Zankuro without remembering that damn code. Can't wait to upgrade mine!

chimpmeister

Former Moderator
Fantastic news Raz!! You are an unbelievable asset to the Neo Geo community! You have restored a crippled and broken release and ensured that people can play the game in its original arcade format. Now I need to have my systems remodded with the UNIBIOS 2.0 to bring this game back to its original glory . . . :drool_2:

NGT

J. M Club, ,
20 Year Member
how does the 4 player KE thing work?

Kazuki Dash

Samurai Shodown Swordsmith
chimpmeister said:
Now I need to have my systems remodded with the UNIBIOS 2.0 to bring this game back to its original glory . . . :drool_2:

ditto...and I like Raz's new title "Divine Hand of the UniBIOS"
:buttrock:

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Welp, look like It's time to gather up the donation & mod money :D
-BB

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
NGT said:
how does the 4 player KE thing work?

You simply enable it as a cheat in the unibios menues, it does not allow your NeoGeo to use 4 joysticks though.

Raz

peap

New Challenger
What kind of eprom?

I know i'm supposed to use a 27c1024-eprom to burn this excellent bios but at my local electronics store they have two kinds of this eprom. One 100ns and one 120ns. Does it matter wich one of them I use?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
peap said:
I know i'm supposed to use a 27c1024-eprom to burn this excellent bios but at my local electronics store they have two kinds of this eprom. One 100ns and one 120ns. Does it matter wich one of them I use?

Either will do as the normal bios is rated at 150ns.

Raz

RockstarRunner

Wind Jammin' All Night",
Well, you guys could burn the rom... but you order from Raz and you get your Neo's serial number encoded onto the splash screen, not much actual use for that I guess.... but so cool to have :buttrock: Thanks Raz!

barf

Maxima's Barber
This is an amazing work you are doing Razoola, absolutely stunning :)

I was wondering, which disassembler/assembler do you use to compile your 68k assembly code ? Did you make them yourself ?

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
PinkPeach said:
This is an amazing work you are doing Razoola, absolutely stunning :)

I was wondering, which disassembler/assembler do you use to compile your 68k assembly code ? Did you make them yourself ?

I just use x68k assembler and notepad.

Raz

barf

Maxima's Barber
Razoola said:
I just use x68k assembler and notepad.

Raz

I see :) thank you for answering~

I only use CDoti's modified JAS at my verry humble level, maybe i should try something more professional :)

keep up the -verry- good work~
(suomi forever ;))

NeoGeo on Brain

Kabuki Klasher
15 Year Member
Question about Eprom Cross

peap said:

Razoola said:
Either will do as the normal bios is rated at 150ns.

Raz

Any problem using a AM27C010-150ns or AM27C1001-150ns instead? :help:

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
NeoGeo on Brain said:
Any problem using a AM27C010-150ns or AM27C1001-150ns instead? :help:

Both of those are 8bit EPROMs and only 32 pins if memory serves me right. You need a 16bit 40 pin chip.

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Patch memory options

I have made a little doc with some addresses to use with the patch memory option. I have only done it for the KOF games at present. Remember that using stuff like this can cause adverse game effects. I'm not going to have time to do this type of thing for every game so If you want to convert some kawaks or nebula cheat dats then remember that you need to change the memory addresses as those emulators swap bytes around (compare there kof cheats againt these to see what I mean).

Raz

Razoola

Staff member
20 Year Member
Code:
------------------------------------------------
           THE KING OF FIGHTERS '94
------------------------------------------------

1-Up      2-Up	description

0x108221  0x108421	Energy

0x108171  0x108371	Battle Character