Torn between getting an MVS converter or 1-slot board

ApolloBoy

Edo Express Delivery Guy
Ever since I picked up my AES I've always intended to get the MVS versions of the games I want, as I don't feel like spending a ton on their AES equivalents. Lately however, I've been facing a dilemma about how exactly I should play the MVS stuff.

For a while I've been leaning towards picking up an MVS converter as I've put a considerable amount of work into my AES (I've modded it with S-vid, Unibios, a power LED and I've also recapped it). Specifically I've been looking at the latest version of the Super MVS Converter, which is supposedly compatible with everything save the NG Dev Team stuff.

However, I'm also looking at picking up a little 1-slot board and performing a rough consolization of it (just RGB and stereo audio, controller ports and power input). It would be much cheaper than getting a converter, but that also means I'd have to rebuy my existing AES games for the MVS and I'd have to either sell my AES stuff or put it all in storage.

So what say you guys?

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
How much is that Super MVS converter?

Honestly if I were you I'd look for a MV-1F. It's got a socketed bios, controller ports on it already, and a stereo/mono switch. Since you have a PVM it should be a very cost effective way to play MVS games.

Danthor

NAM-75 Vet
Where you've already put so much into your AES, I'd say keep it and go with the converter, save all the labour, and the hassle of re-buying games! But if you weren't attached, and wanted to go all MVS anyway, you could prolly sell that lot for a decent amount to fund a great start into MVS-dom. But if you fully intend to keep your AES, I say stay with the converter. I did, no regrets! best of both worlds.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
I'd go with a converter myself. You get the best of both worlds as far as price goes. Magician Lord on MVS being a good example.

In the long run the converter will be easier to resell than a CMVS if you decide you're done with Neo.

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
If you want a project, build a supergun. Then you can play Street Fighter II too.

oldschool

Cock Killer with Ice D,
My dilemma would be whether to buy a hotel unit or consolize a 1-slot board.

Don

Camel Slug
I've got an AES. I've owned a cheapo 1 slot MVS consolized and currently have an AI consolized MVS. Honestly between the two there is not much difference. With the cheap 1 slots you get dip switches which is kind of cool but it lacks presentation. I also have a MAS supergun which is great for CPS2 games.

Honestly though, if you got the space buy a cab. It is the best option. The consolized MVS's are cool but they are the same price if not more then a cab on Craigslist. Plus on a cab MVS games look way better. Then with Converters and Superguns you get compatibilities issues.

If I was to do it all over again, I would have just started with a cab and saved my ass a ton of money.

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Looks like you've hit a spending ceiling in regards to AES so just sell AES stuff and replace with MVS and possibly have some money left over for whatever.
BB

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Get the converter. No modding needed, memory card support, built in Uni-Bios, you keep your aes games and you save a few bucks.

SSS

neo retired
To hell with the converter. Just doubles the amount of contact points that need to make a clean connection to prevent graphical errors. Short of a cab go with an Omega CMVS. Top notch product, you get the last hardware revision SNK made so it's the "newest" neo you can get. He's got some sort of sale going on right now as well.

Only downside is no memory card support as of yet. I've never bothered with the card so I could care less.

city41

Beast Buster
10 Year Member
To hell with the converter. Just doubles the amount of contact points that need to make a clean connection to prevent graphical errors.

I use my converter almost every day and have for about a year without a single problem.

SSS

neo retired
You also have Buell motorcycles in your av so I question your judgement.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I use my converter almost every day and have for about a year without a single problem.

I've used the converter a bunch of times as well and it works flawlessly. SSS is just a hater ;).

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I too have the same problem, I have an AES & am in the process of consolizing a MVS? I am kind of leaning to the AES w/ converter.

SSS

neo retired
I've used the converter a bunch of times as well and it works flawlessly. SSS is just a hater ;).

Last converter I owned broke, so I threw it out the window instead of getting it fixed.

Last edited:

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
They ship those Phantom-1 converters in anti-static bags for good reason.

arcwyvern

King's Dry Cleaner
AES/MVS guy here. I find converters to be pretty jank. They are too expensive for what they are- flimsy or made by criminals. Plus I am just not super comfortable with all that weight in my AES, it's very low serial and I don't want anything to happen to it. A tad paranoid, I know. If you have the money, the Omega is a fantastic product that looks great sitting next to an AES. If you have tinkering skills, supergun is the way to go for all the access. Cab is THE BEST if you have the space.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
In the exact same situation, I ended up with a converter and CMVS. I definitely prefer the CMVS. Having a direct connection to the board without the super-grip edge connectors makes for better reliability & an easier life for the carts (and you).

On the other hand, the converter you're looking into should be less grippy, so switching carts may be less of a production.

Edmond Dantes

Rugal's Thug
Seems like a converter would be the best option if you already have an AES.

Just saying, in my experience its annoying to have two of the same console just because one will play games the other won't. It's better to make all games work on just one console, and more convenient.

If you didn't already have an AES, I'd go CMVS definitely. But since you do. I say pick up a converter. I hear the Magic Key plays everything save the NG DEV games.

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
why-not-both-310958.jpg

WoodyXP

Setsuna's Owl Keeper,
15 Year Member
Get the one-slot. I'm speaking as a guy who bought an AES, then a converter.. then got pissed with the converter and purchased a CMVS. Converters are really nice, but you're going to run into those one or two games that won't work right no matter what and it's gonna piss you off and make you realize you should have spent the extra $100 to get a CMVS. Skip the converter.

Last edited: