To mod or not to mod?

PolluxTroy

Famous & Dangerous.,
What really are the pros and cons of a modded AES, and is it really that big of a difference over a non-modded one.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
That depends, what are you wanting to do with it?

IMO, the only mod that is important is putting in a Unibios. Most of the other mods are video related, but in this day and age it's easier to just use the RGB out (into a converter if necessary) instead of adding component or svideo like in the old days. My system just has the Unibios and I added a set of stereo RCA jacks for audio in the back.

BladeDancer314

Windjammers Wonder
Like Gohan said, unibios and stereo mod are the only ones that are really worth it.

Also a power led, just to know if you left the damn thing on or not.

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Use the headphone jack for stereo if you're cheap and/or don't want to fool with the mod.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Now days, you don't even need to mod your AES anymore if you have a revision that has great RGB output and no sound issues. If you need a Unibios, you can get the inline converter, if you want to play MVS on your AES that also has a built in unibios, if you want component, s-video, HDMI, VGA, you can get all those with a SCART to X converter. Only mod that still needs to be done is the power LED mod.

ChrisB

Another Striker
Now days, you don't even need to mod your AES anymore if you have a revision that has great RGB output and no sound issues. If you need a Unibios, you can get the inline converter, if you want to play MVS on your AES that also has a built in unibios, if you want component, s-video, HDMI, VGA, you can get all those with a SCART to X converter. Only mod that still needs to be done is the power LED mod.

Spot on advice!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You're a terrible salesman, James.

He's just being top honest.
That also sells.

I'm always a friend before a salesman, maybe that's why people don't buy my stuff...lol I just don't like taking advantage of people's situation. If they come to me and specifically want the mod done then I have no problem offering the service for a more than fair price. Plus I'm all out of Neobitz boards so even if he wanted the mods, I couldn't perform certain mods with the standards I put out so I wouldn't even do it. I don't like to settle on a lower quality if the first choice isn't available.

ChrisB

Another Striker
I'm always a friend before a salesman, maybe that's why people don't buy my stuff...lol I just don't like taking advantage of people's situation. If they come to me and specifically want the mod done then I have no problem offering the service for a more than fair price. Plus I'm all out of Neobitz boards so even if he wanted the mods, I couldn't perform certain mods with the standards I put out so I wouldn't even do it. I don't like to settle on a lower quality if the first choice isn't available.

Don't worry James :) salesmen are a special breed of people your not missing much :)