The Wii U - Nintendo's best failure - Pikmin 3 - 2/23

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

I think Nintendo's best "feature" is that when they have a console that is failing they somehow double down and say "F it. Let's make some of our best games in years". Same thing happened with the GameCube...lagging hardware sales but incredible games.

I still love my Wii U even if it did fail. So I decided to do a series on it's best games. So far 8/10 are done with two open slots I keep debating over...so what are everyones top tens? maybe thatll help.

Oh and don't glue googly eyes to your Wii U! Glue was a bitch to remove lol

Last edited:

Psygnosis8

Sieger's Squire
I thought it was pretty cool myself. Pikmin 3 was amazing. I did feel that after the first batch of releases they didn’t know what to do with that second screen anymore though.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Make sure to download all your WiiU games off of the shop by end of March!

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member

Thanks for the heads up on that. There's some exclusives on the Wii U eshop worth getting. That version of Super Mario Bros.3 for example is the GBA version that comes with all the AR card levels unlocked.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Thanks for the heads up on that. There's some exclusives on the Wii U eshop worth getting. That version of Super Mario Bros.3 for example is the GBA version that comes with all the AR card levels unlocked.

Really? I didn’t know a version was released with all the unlocked content

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
Really? I didn’t know a version was released with all the unlocked content

Yeah it was announced & then quietly forgotten about by most people. I'm sure there's some other goodies there but I hadn't taken the time to look thru it in awhile. While I love my Switch, I fucking hate the way Nintendo handled their retro catalog compared to the eshop's older setup.

Last edited:

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
yeah i really enjoyed the WiiU for what it was. Not too many exclusives left these days, which I guess is a good thing.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
I'll just load all of it after the eshop shuts down. It's easy to homebrew the Wii U.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Yeah it was announced & then quietly forgotten about by most people. I'm sure there's some other goodies there but I hadn't taken the time to look thru it in awhile. While I love my Switch, I fucking hate the way Nintendo handled their retro catalog compared to the eshop's older setup.

Nintendo is as bad as Sega is sometimes when it comes to easy access to old awesome games

neo_mao

Been There., Done That., It Was Shit.,
15 Year Member

Dr. Luigi!

Pretty Amy

Loyal Neo-Disciple
10 Year Member

Wait, where does the March deadline come from? I can't find anything to back it up. Super Mario Maker is getting delisted, but that's just one game.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Hopefully the Switch rerelease brings some more love to this awesome entry in the Mario series

JoeAwesome

Wait, where does the March deadline come from? I can't find anything to back it up. Super Mario Maker is getting delisted, but that's just one game.

Granted, I had heard that, and in searching, vaguely saw “confirmation,” but it’s just speculation, afaik.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member

Bayonetta 2...maybe the best looking game on the Wii U. Also def one of the best playing games. All those reviews of the Wii U hardware calling it underpowered...meh

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
never played this series, but I haven't played most games of this genre.
wonderful 101 coming up?!?!

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I don't even know if I have 10 total games on my U. Obviously Mario Kart 8 rulez, but I feel like it's not worth getting so many U games since they're coming out on the Switch. So even bargain hunting might not make sense unless it's for U exclusives. The Mario games were of course great, Splatoon as well. The only game I never liked was the remastered Duck Tales but that was a $15 bargain bin title anyway. I do regret seeing that extended life tablet battery pack on nintendo's site forever and never scooping one.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I don't even know if I have 10 total games on my U. Obviously Mario Kart 8 rulez, but I feel like it's not worth getting so many U games since they're coming out on the Switch. So even bargain hunting might not make sense unless it's for U exclusives. The Mario games were of course great, Splatoon as well. The only game I never liked was the remastered Duck Tales but that was a $15 bargain bin title anyway. I do regret seeing that extended life tablet battery pack on nintendo's site forever and never scooping one.

Remastered Ducktales was awesome at $10. I got it super cheap and it's def worth it at that price point.

I just really enjoy the Wii U because I had all the Switch re-releases on it before the Switch was a thing...so to me the Switch is the console bumming me out...I mean I get it...nobody played the Wii U games but can we maybe do a 50/50 mix of Wii U ports AND new games. Most of Nintendo's lineup I don't buy because why? I don't need another copy of Pikmin 3/DK Tropical Freeze/Mario Kart 8/3D World/etc etc etc

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
I gotta say MK8 on switch w/all the DLC built in is pretty sweet. But if you have all the DLC, totally hear ya. I'm not sure if I've re-bought anything on the Switch from the Wii U other than that. I picked up a used Wii U on a forum last year for dirt cheap, just in case my drive dies or I guess if I want to mod it. One thing early on that made me not play the U much was how shitty the battery life is on the tablet, so I'd just use a pro controller instead but felt like I was missing out on some of the experience. I'm sure someday it'll have insane prices on the games.

JoeAwesome

With the lack of physical exclusives worth getting, I would honestly believe it will not have insane prices for games. The hardware, sure, but not the games.