The SNK Millennium...a bit more real then we all probably thought

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member

Snowballing a bit. C’mon views. I wanna make that big revenue change 😂
Replace the video thumbnail with a manipulated image of the Neo Geo home system with flames and a shocked-face emoji in the background with a photo of your surprised expression next to it and watch the impressions jump lol The photo of the PCB just isn’t sexy enough for gamers that aren’t in the know I bet :lolz:

In all seriousness, the information on offer is fantastic; the word will get out. All the other youtubers will watch this video and produce their own content parroting the find in no time.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Replace the video thumbnail with a manipulated image of the Neo Geo home system with flames and a shocked-face emoji in the background with a photo of your surprised expression next to it and watch the impressions jump lol The photo of the PCB just isn’t sexy enough for gamers that aren’t in the know I bet :lolz:

In all seriousness, the information on offer is fantastic; the word will get out. All the other youtubers will watch this video and produce their own content parroting the find in no time.
Lol I vehemently refuse to run clickbait thumbnails. If that means I suffer via stats...fine with me 😂

that’s a sexy pcb photo. If it doesn’t bring people in their loss

edit: and all those parrot videos will beat my stats lol. This time though anyone who uses the footage without contacting / crediting me is getting a copyright claim. I’m over that shit. If I teach collect kids entertainment business law I may as well employ it for myself haha

BlackaneseNiNjA

The Fatal Fury Disciple
15 Year Member
Lol I vehemently refuse to run clickbait thumbnails. If that means I suffer via stats...fine with me 😂

:lolz: Agreed. That’s grade-A SNK history on display up there :buttrock:

kingcuckmelon1

War Room Troll
I really enjoyed that video, thanks for taking the time to make it! I feel there were no games made for it, there was probably a hard disc attached to it at some stage with just 3D demo's

fenikso

Slug Flyer Pilot
15 Year Member
Funny seeing that Matrox put out a graphics card branded Millennium in 1998, when the board was made. No doubt a complete coincidence, since everything was 'millennium' at that time, but funny nonetheless.

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Funny seeing that Matrox put out a graphics card branded Millennium in 1998, when the board was made. No doubt a complete coincidence, since everything was 'millennium' at that time, but funny nonetheless.

Attachments

• 8E56D597-DB04-49A7-8102-6817033B0988.jpeg
    8E56D597-DB04-49A7-8102-6817033B0988.jpeg
    54.5 KB · Views: 6

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
Too bad there isn't any way you can rewrite history without SNK eventually getting trucidated by the PS2, but who knows what could have been if SNK had enough funds to insist on it.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
By the way, nice touch on the Mahjong Kyoretsuden music. That's a decent Neo Geo soundtrack that doesn't get much play.
I occasionally listen this album to vary from the usual playlists I know by heart (the sung tracks give a lot of atmosphere to the game).

Remember that entertainment is one of the many roads that derive from psychological sublimation: therefore, being born in principle from sexuality/aggressiveness, the aesthetics of the product has the same importance as content.

Too bad there isn't any way you can rewrite history without SNK eventually getting trucidated by the PS2, but who knows what could have been if SNK had enough funds to insist on it.
In that period the arcade market was already fucked and the only thing SNK could have done, would have been the one to produce of the exclusive games for the various consoles of the time (even Sega and Capcom began this same path during those years: see for example 'Yakuza' and 'Devil May Cry').

Last edited:

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
I occasionally listen to this album to vary from the usual playlists I know by heart (the sung tracks give a lot of atmosphere to the game).

Remember that entertainment is one of the many roads that derive from psychological sublimation: therefore, being born in principle from sexuality/aggressiveness, the aesthetics of the product has the same importance as content.

In that period the arcade market was already fucked and the only thing SNK could have done, would have been the one to produce of the exclusive games for the various consoles of the time (even Sega and Capcom began this same path during those years: see for example 'Yakuza' and 'Devil May Cry').
Track 9 sounds like something Van Damme would dance to.

GutsDozer

Robot Master., Master Tasuke, Eat Your, Heart Out
10 Year Member
Secret Santa Veteran
Wow that would have been amazing. Do you think it's the same thing as the Neo Star?

Hawwa

B. Jenet's Firstmate
Really nice vid and finding, as usual.

Will happily see part 2.

BTW, nice pronuntiation, I can understand perfectly despite the pace being quick (I guess in order to be able to tell everything you want in the video without making it too long).

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member
Just as real...but not as brightly lit.

smokey

massive ding dong
20 Year Member
Interesting vid! was a nice watch and i subbed!. is the sh-4 swapable with an intel processor? basically it must have been a lot of work to create a pci mobo around a new processor?

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
Interesting vid! was a nice watch and i subbed!. is the sh-4 swapable with an intel processor? basically it must have been a lot of work to create a pci mobo around a new processor?

I highly doubt it

gray117

Crazed MVS Addict
15 Year Member
Really interesting find and video ... not to pre-empt your efforts but I suspect whatever the cost of pursuing this was simply not worth it. Seems to me arcade wise, a year or so prior, they would have been really interested in one upping the cps3, but I suspect by 98 one upping where the naomi/namco hardware was heading just became a bridge too far when it came to the game development if not the actual hardware.

Would be so interesting to see this brought up with any interviews in the future to hear what the stories were around it - especially if it was kind of cut off at the knees due to partnership/licensing issues with Sega/Sony/Nintendo all fighting over similar suppliers... even it were essentially just a technical test; very intriguing to hear to reasons and collaborating factors that had them planning on what they could have put together using it.

Anything matrox was doing millenium name wise around mid 90s was a complete coincidence, it was also crap for 3d since iirc their own implementations were miserable the first didn't even have hardware texture and lighting iirc, as were any wrappers they eventually made for opengl/directx. Also I think they were fairly expensive (based on the consumer pc side of things at the time)... Although not to say something like this kind of partnership couldn't have been formed for other kinds of video/2d machines....

Probably primarily (sadly) for cost, but also for development expertise and maintanence I don't think anyone was really yet wanting to turn to pc cpu processors for arcade/game machines. Would be another few years before pc development really started to assert itself and take advantage of the hardware AND working environment for games.

Fygee

Bewbs! Z'OMG, Teh BEWBS!,
20 Year Member
I have a hunch that SNK decided to hedge their bets in the mobile market with the NGP/NGPC instead of going this route. Only one major competitor, cheaper hardware costs, a library of games and IPs readily available to port over, etc.

Still didn't work out, but one could argue that was the smarter move.