The OFFICIAL... Neosd MicroSD Card thread...

GadgetUK

Giga Shock!!
If you take the 2:55 vs 3:35 (that is, slowest times for the fastest and slowest examples)

It breaks down to

175 seconds vs 215, which comes out at approx 19% difference.

The reason we are seeing this an no one has queried it with other flash carts is you don't notice it on other flashcarts due to the often very short programming times related to tiny ROM images. For example, 19% difference between 2 x Everdrive or SD2SNES etc could result in a negligble difference. If you time say 5 seconds to program a cart on a SNES or Megadrive, would you honestly notice between 0.5 sec to 1 sec difference to anyone elses cart - almost definitely not, and in fact I've never seen anyone report that as a problem because no one else has noticed it up until now, and that's because the games on the neo geo are obviously much larger and this technology just hasn't really been used for games this large before.

An alternative is if you get a cart you think is too slow for you, just stick it on eBay and buy another - you will get 100% asking price (maybe more) due to PayPal on eBay! The reality is the manufacturer does not tell you in advance which flash ROMs will perform at the better end of that 20% tolerance and which perform at the slower end of that 20% - so what are the Neo SD team expected to do? I would suggest when they update their website with specs etc, they just clearly state "average programming time for KoF2003 is ~3 minutes, but it could be up to 20% more or less and performance can be affected by micro SD speed".

The other alternative is for Neo SD to start using even faster lower tolerance chips and increase the cost by a hefty percentage - wild guess, additional 100 euros or more, and maybe then it might have 10% tolerance still.

I am sure if there's any way to improve performance in future, they will let us know. Their whole aim from the start here was to make this as stable and as fast as possible, and as said before we are all better off than where we started because the 'faster firmware update' was around 30% faster to start with. Beyond that, what else would you expect, a recall to swap out the ROM chips with faster ones (that would involve massive costs and no one in their right mind would do it)???? For one thing, think of the cost of the chips alone - lets say 10% of them perform 20% faster than others, does that mean they have to start binning or selling 90% of the chips they buy in, and the logistics behind testing those chips in advance would be an absolute nightmare.

I did suggest that if people start getting stressed about this that the next firmware update should slow all carts down to equal footing - that sounds counter productive, but it seems to me like people are getting stressed about that 19% and it might stop the concerns here.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, it wasn't supposed to be. It just feels to me like this thread has turned into another thread to p*** off the Neo SD team.

Last edited:

greatfunky

Mr. Big's Thug
If you take the 2:55 vs 3:35 (that is, slowest times for the fastest and slowest examples)

It breaks down to

175 seconds vs 215, which comes out at approx 19% difference.

The reason we are seeing this an no one has queried it with other flash carts is you don't notice it on other flashcarts due to the often very short programming times related to tiny ROM images. For example, 19% difference between 2 x Everdrive or SD2SNES etc could result in a negligble difference. If you time say 5 seconds to program a cart on a SNES or Megadrive, would you honestly notice between 0.5 sec to 1 sec difference to anyone elses cart - almost definitely not, and in fact I've never seen anyone report that as a problem because no one else has noticed it up until now, and that's because the games on the neo geo are obviously much larger and this technology just hasn't really been used for games this large before.

An alternative is if you get a cart you think is too slow for you, just stick it on eBay and buy another - you will get 100% asking price (maybe more) due to PayPal on eBay! The reality is the manufacturer does not tell you in advance which flash ROMs will perform at the better end of that 20% tolerance and which perform at the slower end of that 20% - so what are the Neo SD team expected to do? I would suggest when they update their website with specs etc, they just clearly state "average programming time for KoF2003 is ~3 minutes, but it could be up to 20% more or less and performance can be affected by micro SD speed".

The other alternative is for Neo SD to start using even faster lower tolerance chips and increase the cost by a hefty percentage - wild guess, additional 100 euros or more, and maybe then it might have 10% tolerance still.

I am sure if there's any way to improve performance in future, they will let us know. Their whole aim from the start here was to make this as stable and as fast as possible, and as said before we are all better off than where we started because the 'faster firmware update' was around 30% faster to start with. Beyond that, what else would you expect, a recall to swap out the ROM chips with faster ones (that would involve massive costs and no one in their right mind would do it)???? For one thing, think of the cost of the chips alone - lets say 10% of them perform 20% faster than others, does that mean they have to start binning or selling 90% of the chips they buy in, and the logistics behind testing those chips in advance would be an absolute nightmare.

I did suggest that if people start getting stressed about this that the next firmware update should slow all carts down to equal footing - that sounds counter productive, but it seems to me like people are getting stressed about that 19% and it might stop the concerns here.

Sorry if that sounded like a rant, it wasn't supposed to be. It just feels to me like this thread has turned into another thread to p*** off the Neo SD team.

100% agree with you Gadget , I find that story of speed does not lead anywhere now ....

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Staff member
OK OK... NEXT person to start complaining about load times that is not completely necessary.... gets 24 hours in the War room...

NO EXCEPTIONS!

xROTx

PS. ....YOU KNOW WHO I AM REFERRING TOO!

Razoola

Divine Hand of the UniBIOS,
Staff member
I am sure if there's any way to improve performance in future, they will let us know. Their whole aim from the start here was to make this as stable and as fast as possible.

I would suggest when they update their website with specs etc, they just clearly state "average programming time for KoF2003 is ~3 minutes, but it could be up to 20% more or less and performance can be affected by micro SD speed".

I think you have got it a little out of porportion there. No one is trying to rant or piss of neosd (or anyone else), this thread is about posting information gathered in relation to loading. You may very well be right about these kinds of differences affecting other devices but because in general the games are smaller the loading times are not as noticeable. Likewise if you look in relation to maglord loadtimes you can see these issues affecting kof2003 load times do not follow though for that game at all.

A time of 2:42 loading kof2003 was reported by neosd himself in the main thread and a microsd card known to hit that speed for neosd could only hit 3:27 on another NeoSD. Currently neosd himself holds the record for the fastest loading kof2003, this puts the percentage differentce a little over 20% but what a percent here or there.

I agree that if there is a way to resolve this situation in the future neodev will surely add it to a firmware. Bear in mind however its taken about two months of highlighting this situation (privately also) to get to a situation where neosd acknowledged this situation exists. Before then he said it was impossible for anything on the neosd to cause this difference in speed and it was all microsd card related. Even you yourself stated I likely had a fake sony microsd card (given I had 3:25 plus loading speeds). The issue only came to light because I wanted to be able to take the fastest possible loading neosd to the NeoGeo meet in Helsinki too show it off and verify the fast loading times reported.

I'm with you 100% that it would be really really good if neosd updated the main NeoSD page in the specs section stating that the 'expected loading time for kof2003 is 3:00 minutes +/- 10% even with a fast sdcard'. I have suggested it before already directly to him a month or so ago but he is yet to do it.

Last edited:

Happosai

Timid Neo Newbie
how long is the lifetime of the AES chips ? How many times can we write/delete/rewrite games on the cardmod ?

MkidTrigun

Timid Neo Newbie
Just tested a SanDisk Ultra 32GB UHS-1 card in my NeoSD MVS running 1.05 R05-

Magician Lord: 0'21"
King of Fighters 2003: 2'34"

Dug this card out of my GCW-Zero that I hardly touch anymore so the card is a few years old, but it still put up these amazing times. Great stuff all around!

f0rm0za

Timid Neo Newbie
1) microSDHC 16Gb 533x (SDSQUNC-016G-GN6MA)
Spoiler:
sdcard for sdneo_k.jpg

2) Firmware 1.05 R05
3) Loading time:
a. KOF2003 2:42 (erase+burn) 2:50 (restart and loaded game)
b. Magician Lord 0:20 (erase+burn) 0:26 (restart and loaded game)

Last edited:

pollsoda

Twinkle Star Sprite
1) microSDHC Sandisk Ultra 32GB UHS-1 (10); formatted FAT32 with 64kB sector size
2) Firmware 1.05 R05
3) Have not measure loading times, but they're <1min generally. TODO: measure speed

If you have issues, you may try formatting with a larger sector size. I'll time my load times for those games here shortly. No issues otherwise.

Sniper

Timid Neo Newbie
Dear All,

I want to buy SD card for my Flash Cart that I just bought.

The SD card should include all NEO GEO games, both AES and MVS with full descriptions and images.

I am open for all offers and I will pay Cash by Western Union or, my friend's PayPal and the shipment to his address.

Please send offers to my E-mail:
ibrahim22477@gmail.com

Regards,

Sniper

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
Dear All,

The SD card should include all NEO GEO games, both AES and MVS with full descriptions and images.

I am open for all offers and I will pay Cash by Western Union or, my friend's PayPal and the shipment to his address.

ibrahim22477@gmail.com

Regards,

Sniper

Seems legit.

Should I send the card to an intermediary, or can I just send it straight to the caliphate?

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Staff member
Dear All,

ibrahim22477@gmail.com

Regards,

Sniper

Err... why? Just asking...

If you have been paying attention... there's no need for this...

Sniper

Timid Neo Newbie
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have PayPal account and if I want to buy anything from internet, I asked my friend to pay for me and I pay him cash.

When I talk about address, sure the address should be to the same person who paid, otherwise, there might be a fraud.

Anyways, I appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Sniper

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Staff member
Thanks for your reply.
I don't have PayPal account and if I want to buy anything from internet, I asked my friend to pay for me and I pay him cash.

When I talk about address, sure the address should be to the same person who paid, otherwise, there might be a fraud.

Anyways, I appreciate your reply.

Regards,

Sniper

NO... What I mean is... you could easily buy your own 16GB microSD card and then go HERE:

http://www.neo-geo.com/forums/showt...ort-thread-!&p=4140218&viewfull=1#post4140218

TWO FILES...

The BIG one is the main file... the SMALL one is a RBFF1 Korean variant that was found recently...

BOTH files are password protected...

You will find me in chat... or you will be allowed a ONE time PM to acquire the password(s)...

Copy and paste onto your microSD card... simple..

xROTx

PS. DISCLAIMER... I have access to the passwords only... the files are not mine... (just sayin'...)...

Sniper

Timid Neo Newbie
Thanks ...

In fact, I am very weak on this computer stuff.

I am old gamer and NEO GEO is the last Console I played in my life.

I know how to play only .... I tried these new things such as SD and Micro SD cards and I damaged few devices and I decided

I'll be waiting for offers.

Thanks,

Sniper

Sniper

Timid Neo Newbie
Sorry ... forgot to complete my words.

I mean that I decided not to do any technical PC stuff because I don't know how to deal with it.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Staff member
Thanks ...

In fact, I am very weak on this computer stuff.

I am old gamer and NEO GEO is the last Console I played in my life.

I know how to play only .... I tried these new things such as SD and Micro SD cards and I damaged few devices and I decided

I'll be waiting for offers.

Thanks,

Sniper

Then.. you may have issues...

Knowing the lads as I do... the reliable people will ignore your request...

There's a lot of reasons for it...

I would wish you luck but you may need slightly more than usual if you can't download a file... unzip it... and copy/paste it onto a microsd card...

xROTx

PS. It's not about the money btw...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
Thanks again ....

I will wait for offers .... this is all what can I do now.

Regards

Maybe to pass the time, you and 11 or 12 of your colleagues can learn how to fly passenger planes filled with enough fuel for a trip across the United States.

neosd

Neosd Developer
Dear All,

ibrahim22477@gmail.com

Regards,

Sniper

Hello Sniper,

We have sent you an email about your order today.

You have purchased your neosd with UPS and put a postal box as delivery address.

Ups canエt ship to postal boxes, could you please answer us by email ?

Thanks