The Electoral College Map

BoriquaSNK

His Excellency BoriquaSNK,, The Ambassador of Appl
15 Year Member
Dunno if this deserves its own thread as it's less about policy than strategy, but this year the electoral college is really really interesting as far as possibilities go.

So, here is a link to CNN's electoral map. It's actually a pretty decent tool for parsing possibilities. Using this tool, we can see what scenarios either candidate needs to win and where they can afford to lose.

Tactics:

Obama and McCain are running two very different strategies, McCain's being the riskier of the two.

Obama is betting that he'll win every state that Kerry won, which according to recent polls is a pretty reasonable assumption. The only states Obama needs to defend are Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and New Hampshire, he is ahead or tied in all of these states thus far. After that, his strategy sets in and this is why the Obama camp was such a formidable foe against Clinton.

By competing in every single state, Obama is forcing McCain to defend territory that should by definition be safe...like Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Virginia, South Carolina, and Nevada. Since McCain is using public financing, he has only 85 million to spend from now until election day while Obama can continue to raise money with almost no limits. This has created immense ground operations that have made Colorado, Iowa and New Mexico a sure flip. It has also put Virginia into democratic play for the first time since Johnson!

McCain is on tougher ground, he is tight on funds and must rely heavily on the RNC (luckily the RNC has boatloads of cash). His strategy has changed pretty dramatically several times, but the overarching theme is to get away from the economy and focus on populism and foreign policy.

McCain MUST change the narrative, he cannot get caught talking about his tax policy anymore because his tax cuts are less than those of his Democratic opponent. He can't talk about deregulation anymore because we were just forced to essentially nationalize the world's largest investment bank. Rock. Hard place.

So, prediction is the following:

Obama will win with 277 electoral votes, flipping Iowa, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Virginia. He'll win Wisconsin and Michigan, but lose New Hampshire, MN, Florida, and Ohio.

McCain will grab 261 votes with MN, Ohio, and Florida alongside NH.

What do you guys think? Realistic? Any other scenarios I may be missing where McCain can pull this off?

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Thanks for the link to that Electoral Vote app. Thats pretty cool. According to the facts on CCN the last four presidential elections in MO were pretty close, with Bush only winning by 3% in MO in 2000.

I hope MO sides with Obama.

If there is enough of a turnout in the STL and KC metro areas I think it can happen.

I need to look in to the election results from '00 and '04 in a few other counties though.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
did you write this all yourself? If so, nice writing style.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Dunno if this deserves its own thread as it's less about policy than strategy, but this year the electoral college is really really interesting as far as possibilities go.

So, here is a link to CNN's electoral map. It's actually a pretty decent tool for parsing possibilities. Using this tool, we can see what scenarios either candidate needs to win and where they can afford to lose.

Tactics:

Obama and McCain are running two very different strategies, McCain's being the riskier of the two.

Obama is betting that he'll win every state that Kerry won, which according to recent polls is a pretty reasonable assumption. The only states Obama needs to defend are Wisconsin, Minnesota, Michigan, and New Hampshire, he is ahead or tied in all of these states thus far. After that, his strategy sets in and this is why the Obama camp was such a formidable foe against Clinton.

By competing in every single state, Obama is forcing McCain to defend territory that should by definition be safe...like Florida, Georgia, Iowa, Virginia, South Carolina, and Nevada. Since McCain is using public financing, he has only 85 million to spend from now until election day while Obama can continue to raise money with almost no limits. This has created immense ground operations that have made Colorado, Iowa and New Mexico a sure flip. It has also put Virginia into democratic play for the first time since Johnson!

McCain is on tougher ground, he is tight on funds and must rely heavily on the RNC (luckily the RNC has boatloads of cash). His strategy has changed pretty dramatically several times, but the overarching theme is to get away from the economy and focus on populism and foreign policy.

McCain MUST change the narrative, he cannot get caught talking about his tax policy anymore because his tax cuts are less than those of his Democratic opponent. He can't talk about deregulation anymore because we were just forced to essentially nationalize the world's largest investment bank. Rock. Hard place.

So, prediction is the following:

Obama will win with 277 electoral votes, flipping Iowa, Nevada, Colorado, New Mexico, and Virginia. He'll win Wisconsin and Michigan, but lose New Hampshire, MN, Florida, and Ohio.

McCain will grab 261 votes with MN, Ohio, and Florida alongside NH.

What do you guys think? Realistic? Any other scenarios I may be missing where McCain can pull this off?

Obama isn't winning nevada... And he isn't loosing NH...

He might win NM... But we won't know about the final NM results for a month... Lets hope that it doesn't come down to that shithole of a state.

Jon

Mr. Tater
20 Year Member
I don't know what's going to happen but, for some reason, I see Obama winning Ohio, not McCain.

As for the comment about Obama being a "formidable opponent", if Hillary would have got 100% of the delagates in Michigan and Florida, we'd be discussing HER strategy! The only thing that saved Obama was his massive cult of personality.

Jon

Segata_Sanshiro

Tesse's Maintainence Man
15 Year Member
I don't know what's going to happen but, for some reason, I see Obama winning Ohio, not McCain.

As for the comment about Obama being a "formidable opponent", if Hillary would have got 100% of the delagates in Michigan and Florida, we'd be discussing HER strategy! The only thing that saved Obama was his massive cult of personality.

Jon

Sorry but you're wrong on everything. Delegates in Michigan and Florida were seated at the convention with a full vote, and McCain has been polling ahead in Ohio for months.

Cult of personality? Give me a fucking break. The guy is not Kim Il Sung.

Lagduf

2>X
20 Year Member
Cult of personality? Give me a fucking break. The guy is not Kim Il Sung.

The cult of personality statement was fair honestly. Obama definitely has a little bit of that going on, to deny it is absurd. Obviously it's not at the level of someone like the Great Leader, but the idea is the same.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
The cult of personality statement was fair honestly. Obama definitely has a little bit of that going on, to deny it is absurd. Obviously it's not at the level of someone like the Great Leader, but the idea is the same.

You have to develop this at some level to be nominated and win the general election......

Even McCain has a cult of personality... The War hero Maverick....

Maybe a lack of such a persona is the ingredient that both Gore and Kerry Lacked.

Back on track:

I know that people are saying that Obama Can't win Ohio...

On one hand, Kerry should have won Ohio... The corrupt machine that stole the vote has been replaced by democrats... So that should help...

On the other hand, A lot of these white union guys are giving mixed signals that they might just vote for McCain....

Last edited:

aria

Former Moderator
With McCain snubbing Pawlenty, the underwhelming RNC (a lot of disappointed businesses) and the large number of Somali and African-American voters in the Twin Cities --I can't see McCain winning in MN.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
With McCain snubbing Pawlenty, the underwhelming RNC (a lot of disappointed businesses) and the large number of Somali and African-American voters in the Twin Cities --I can't see McCain winning in MN.

Only Franken can fuck up Obama's Chances huh?

Are the Somalis citizens? registered? I
've been wondering bout them for some time.

Also, What do you political genouses think will happen in Nebraska's 2nd Congressional District?
Can Obama Win that one EV? I've been running the numbers and there are quite a few scenarios where one EV could either force a 269 tie (and likely win) or 270 EV clean win... In these scenarios, one EV in Nebraska would up for a loss of 3-5 EV in a state like Nevada, NM or VT.

Take for instance: The Kerry States (Including V)+ IA (likely win) +CO (battleground). That puts Obama at 268.... If he could pop that NE-02 EV, that would put him at 269 for the tie and likely win.

I know that Obama has opened an office in Omaha... I guess they see the importance also.

Also, If we are looking at Ties, the Alaska-01 House race looks like a big deal.

Last edited:

RabbitTroop

Mayor of Southtown, ,
20 Year Member
Only Franken can fuck up Obama's Chances huh?

Are the Somalis citizens? registered? I
've been wondering bout them for some time.

Also, What do you political genouses think will happen...

What exactly are genouses again?

aria

Former Moderator
Oh yeah, forgot about the rules in Nebraska and Maine...