Super MVS Convertor II in the Neostore

123►Genei-Jin

Overtop Pathfinder
The scaling problems is the deal breaker for me since I'll be mostly playing SSVS, RBFF2 and LB2. My major gripe about consolizing an MVS would be getting a nice case, I have a bunch of dead 360s that RROD'ed but I'm not sure if I want to use those.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
123►Genei-Jin;2719893 said:
The scaling problems is the deal breaker for me since I'll be mostly playing SSVS, RBFF2 and LB2. My major gripe about consolizing an MVS would be getting a nice case, I have a bunch of dead 360s that RROD'ed but I'm not sure if I want to use those.

Yeah, on those games it'd be a dealbreaker if you're anal. I don't have SSVS, but on LB2 it's pretty horrendous. It's not like you can't see to play the game or anything, but it is distracting.

I've noticed that the amount of scaling corruption is based on the game...out of my games, from worst corruption to almost no corruption:

LB2>RBS>RB2>SS2>AoF>AoF3

There are other games (KoF 97 etc.) where nonplayable elements in the background get slightly corrupted, but unless you're looking for it you won't notice and it does nothing to the player characters.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
My is a PAL 60xxx, and I use a 9V power supply. I have no problems running Metal Slug X and KOF98 on it. It has no real problems(apart from a few pixels are wrong color, and obviously scaling problems) running any game I have except Metal Slug 4(which is a boot, so it's hard to tell whether sound problems and occasional flickering graphics are because it's a boot, or because of the converter).
The real deal Metal Slug 4 might have similar problems, as it's known to have problems with the Super MVS 2.
I played my legit Metal Slug 4 on the AES with the Super II several times and had no issues at all with it. What are these problems it's "known to have?"

123►Genei-Jin;2719893 said:
Yeah, putting the MVS in other consoles is pretty dumb, especially if you're a purist. Best to just keep it simple I think.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
I played my legit Metal Slug 4 on the AES with the Super II several times and had no issues at all with it. What are these problems it's "known to have?"

I played my MS4 on a home system with the Super II for over a year with no issues:scratch:

I still have my MS4 but use it a cmvs.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
So in light of some new info, a Neobitz/JROK modded Neo should not exhibit the same problems as others since the RGB signals are pulled before the circuits that changed in the revisions.

When you mod a Neo you take the signals directly at the RGB output.

So if anything the Neobitz and JROK modded Neos should NOT be experiencing any scaling issues, if they do it is purely a Super Neo converter qulaity control issue.

For those that don't know, when SNK made changes to the RGB output they changed the values of resistors and capacitors to the RGB output. This changed the way the picture was viewed on certain revisions. Some brighter, some oversaturated.

But one thing some people are forgetting is the fact that when people tested the Neo's RGB to make this data table of revisions and RGB grades it was via the A/V port which does not grab the RGB at the source, it grabs it after the changing circuit. This is why it changes so much.

With the RGB bypass mod you will see a difference if you pull the RGB via the AV port.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
What does this have to do with the converter, Xian Xi? There is more to the AES board revisions than just the differing RGB output.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
What does this have to do with the converter, Xian Xi? There is more to the AES board revisions than just the differing RGB output.

Like what? Other than the RGB output and PSU wattage, that's it.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I've read this thread but am still a little confused.

I have an early model usa AES with a 5V 3A power supply.

Do I need to purchase the power supply with a SCII or will that power supply hurt my AES?

Also, on another subject, how do MVS games act in an AES? Does the cart run as a home version of the game? Like will Crossed Swords MVS cart run with unlimited continues or just 2 like my AES cart? Will Japanese carts display English language on my USA AES? ( I just ordered MVS Magical Drop 3 japan version)

Thank you all. I just dug my gold system out from under the bed. I purchased it around 1991 and me and my family are really enjoying it these days.

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
I've read this thread but am still a little confused.

I have an early model usa AES with a 5V 3A power supply.

Do I need to purchase the power supply with a SCII or will that power supply hurt my AES?

Also, on another subject, how do MVS games act in an AES? Does the cart run as a home version of the game? Like will Crossed Swords MVS cart run with unlimited continues or just 2 like my AES cart? Will Japanese carts display English language on my USA AES? ( I just ordered MVS Magical Drop 3 japan version)

Thank you all. I just dug my gold system out from under the bed. I purchased it around 1991 and me and my family are really enjoying it these days.

I was in the same boat when I bought my SCII: same AES etc. You won't need the extra power supply; AFAIK only the 9+V ones need it since they don't output as much power to the AES system itself.

All MVS games will boot in home/AES mode through the converter, including games that never had a home version. That means that Crossed Swords will boot with 2 credits. The games will boot to the region that your AES is, just like a normal homecart. If you want unlimited continues and such, there are members on the board who can install an UniBIOS for you.

Just be warned that there are a few quirks...your system should be able to play Metal Slug X, but quite a few AES systems don't like it. Also, any game that features scaling (Fatal Fury, Samurai Spirits/Shodown, Last Blade) has scaling issues: the scaled object corrupts and looks jagged/pixely. The degree of the corruption varies from game to game and seems to be an inherent problem to the SCII. Also, some games have weird quirks; for example, my copy of Bust a Move boots as Puzzle Bobble even though it's on a US BIOS. Apart from the scaling these quirks usually don't affect gameplay.

I'd say go for it. You have the ideal AES model for it, MVS games are cheaper, you won't have to deal with acquiring a CMVS/cab, etc. etc. etc. I got mine a couple of months ago and have been extremely pleased with it.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Thank you for the reply. I went ahead and ordered the converter.

So besides ebay, where is a good place to shop for MVS carts?

Metal Slugnuts

Faggotier
Has anyone tried these 108-1 carts with this converter? I see these carts all over ebay.

There's video evidence on YouTube that they work with the SCII, but I wouldn't risk it personally. I haven't heard of anyone blowing their AES/converter with a boot MVS, but there's always a first time.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Thanks. I searched and found the video. Now I wonder if it will work in an USA AES with the SCII using the stock BIOS?

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
If you want to buy one of these crappy over-priced converters just so you can play a multicart, seriously just go and die now.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Has anyone tried these 108-1 carts with this converter? I see these carts all over ebay.

I know CTHD and CTHD plus didn't work on mine and you'll have to hit the reset to switch games. The holding player 1 down for 5 seconds didn't work on my setup. I only used a 48 in 1 cart to check. It seemed less "buggy" on my home system without Unibios than the one with Unibios.

If you're considering one of the multicarts expect a few bugs.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
I'll bet the Unibios flashes up an error message all the time.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Hardly ever, actually.

I couldn't play the 48-1's MSX on my one home system with Unibios 2.2 but it played fine on my home system with regular bios. Like I mentioned CHTD was unplayable on either.

By the time I got the 100-1, I had a cmvs so I never bothered to test it on my home system's.

My cmvs with Unibios 3.0 has crashed with the 100-1 maybe 6 times total since Jan. or Feb. I can live with about once a month crashing.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
If you want to buy one of these crappy over-priced converters just so you can play a multicart, seriously just go and die now.

Nice guy. I was just asking anyway. But here is what is seriously. I've have owned my neoge and have been buying / selling neogeo games since the early 90s. So I only laugh at people who would make comments like you. You have forum muscles. Tough behind your keyboard. Anyway thats the last you will hear from me about it.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
Neo Alec is very knowledgeable about the Neo it's nothing personal against you.

Bootlegs hurt SNK and these carts are nothing more than boots to most longtime members.

He was actually being quite civil compared to many.

Ask the right question and Neo Alec will be more than happy to answer it if he can.

jdotaku

Angel's Love Slave
my multicart has been a bit of a pain but still worth it considering the price of some of the games! It does occassionally crash though and one or two games usually don't work at all and it has to be inserted a certain way and the 5second thing doesn't work either must turn system off then back on. I'll probably be picking up carts (mvs) of my favorite releases until I can get a cab I will use the converter. The multicart while junk will be around with me for awhile finances just don't allow me to own a bunch of multiple hundreds of dollars games

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
I only got the converter to play LEGIT MVS carts on my AES. I only have one boot MVS cart and tried using it, but never will I use it again. I see why most sellers and users of the Neo-Geo have a "no boot" policy. I never hurt any company on purpose and I will never get anything bootleg ever again. BTW, if anybody needs a clear plastic MVS cart case, let me know as long as you are willing to pay for the shipping because I am planning on getting rid of that bootleg cart as quickly as possible, but I want to at least be beneficial to somebody while I am doing so.

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Ya the boots aren't very reliable and just gives everyone headaches. Also hard to resell them later on down the line.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
I don't have any plans to sell it, but I feel guilty for ever buying it though. Still I am glad that I know what is a bootleg and what is a legit cart now.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
You may want to keep the clear plastic shell around for yourself. They're handy if you ever get a legit game in a fake case.