Super MVS Convertor II in the Neostore

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
True. Having an extra shell could prove useful in case if I also need it for parts as well. Anyways, I too have also noticed the scaling issues with this converter. However, I plan on only using it mostly for mslug games (I am currently planning on getting mslug3 as an AES cart because I like the game that much and for collecting reasons. It will be the ONLY high costing game that I will purchase) so I feel that what I purchased was not a total failure.

Last edited:

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
I recieved my SCII yesterday and so far, it works perfectly. I do not notice any poroblems with scaling. The game I've been playing mostly is Samurai shodown.

Now when my Magical Drop 3 arrives from Japan, I'm going to be a happy camper!

retroRomeo

n00b
I recieved my SCII yesterday and so far, it works perfectly. I do not notice any poroblems with scaling. The game I've been playing mostly is Samurai shodown.

Now when my Magical Drop 3 arrives from Japan, I'm going to be a happy camper!

Hi,

What power supply are you using? What voltage and what amp rating?

Thanks!

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Hi,

What power supply are you using? What voltage and what amp rating?

Thanks!

I've been using the converter for a couple weeks now and have played many games. I have no scaling issues. I even compared samurai shodown cause i have that on AES and MVS.

My AES serial number is 017801. My power supplies are the original that came with the gold system in 1990. It is a large brick type and one I got last week from jamma nation x. Both are 5V 3A.

(I use 2 power supplies cause I move the AES from room to room.)

retroRomeo

n00b
I've been using the converter for a couple weeks now and have played many games. I have no scaling issues. I even compared samurai shodown cause i have that on AES and MVS.

My AES serial number is 017801. My power supplies are the original that came with the gold system in 1990. It is a large brick type and one I got last week from jamma nation x. Both are 5V 3A.

(I use 2 power supplies cause I move the AES from room to room.)

Ok, thanks for getting back to me. This has really been confusing me. the AES I am about to buy is a JAP AES and has a Pro Pow 3. Can I buy one of the 5V power adapter and use it with this console?

What region is your console?

from the site:

5v Power Supply Specs: Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz) Output Voltage: 5 Volts DC Amperage: 3 Amps
--5v PSU replaces Pro-Pow, Pro-Pow2, Pro-Pow-UL, Pro-Pow-Pal(Requires Socket adapter)

9v Power Supply Specs: Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz) Output Voltage: 9 Volts DC Amperage: 2 Amps
--9v PSU replaces Pro-Pow 3, Neo-Pow 3, Pro-Pow-E

The input specs seem to be the same, so I should be able to use this shouldn't I?

Thanks

Last edited:

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Ok, thanks for getting back to me. This has really been confusing me. the AES I am about to buy is a JAP AES and has a Pro Pow 3. Can I buy one of the 5V power adapter and use it with this console?

What region is your console?

from the site:

5v Power Supply Specs: Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz) Output Voltage: 5 Volts DC Amperage: 3 Amps
--5v PSU replaces Pro-Pow, Pro-Pow2, Pro-Pow-UL, Pro-Pow-Pal(Requires Socket adapter)

9v Power Supply Specs: Input Voltage: 100V-240VAC (50-60Hz) Output Voltage: 9 Volts DC Amperage: 2 Amps
--9v PSU replaces Pro-Pow 3, Neo-Pow 3, Pro-Pow-E

The input specs seem to be the same, so I should be able to use this shouldn't I?

Thanks

My AES is a USA model. My original power supply is the Pro-Pow-UL.

I don't know anything about other model Neo Geo systems, but I'm sure someone here will answer your question.

Bskull

Crossed Swords Squire
You can only use the power supply that your system was designed for. a 5v system cannot use a 9v power supply.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
You can only use the power supply that your system was designed for. a 5v system cannot use a 9v power supply.

That is correct, only system that use the Pro-Pow 3, Neo-Pow 3 or Pro-Pow-E can utilize the PSU offered for the Super MVS Converter 2.

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
So with the Phantom-1, is it only the last revision that has less serious scaling than the super mvs 2? Or is it all the revisions? What other problems does it have with certain games, apart from problems with running Playmore-era games? Is it only the last revision that has the black AES cart-style casing around the bottom of it (where it goes into the console? The earlier ones are just bare pcbs?
You would have thought they could have made the scaling better on the super mvs 2, if they can do the scaling better on the Phantom-1.
Is it worth getting both adaptors(phantom-1 and super mvs 2), and use whichever adaptor works best with the particular game you're going to play? Are there many games which wouldn't work well with either final revision of each adaptor- eg playmore games which have scaling effects?

I've just seen this auction on ebay, is this one a Big Bear auction?
http://cgi.ebay.com/NEO-GEO-PHANTOM-1-MVS-to-Home-Arcade-Adapter_W0QQitemZ190320593001QQcmdZViewItemQQptZLH_DefaultDomain_0?hash=item2c4ffdc869&_trksid=p3286.c0.m14&_trkparms=65%3A10%7C66%3A2%7C39%3A1%7C293%3A1%7C294%3A50

Last edited:

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
I had the P1 and loved it and the only problem I ran inot while owning it was with KOF2k3 where I could only play a 1 player game, it would crash if I tried a 2 player game. The slot is also tight but not that bad when it has an AES shell supporting which was WAY better than the plexiglass case someone was selling.

The Super MVS converter 2 can satisfy you if you buy 3 of them and try them all out and see which one works 99%(If you are even that lucky), or buy a known good working one. The quality control in the SMC2 is horrid. The scaling and other issues are not related to any Neo revision nor serial number, everything points to the SMC2(I stand by this statement 100%). Very inconsistent quality.

retro

Crazed MVS Addict
Neo Alec is very knowledgeable about the Neo it's nothing personal against you.

Bootlegs hurt SNK and these carts are nothing more than boots to most longtime members.

He was actually being quite civil compared to many.

Ask the right question and Neo Alec will be more than happy to answer it if he can.

Yeah i bet boots produced years after they stopped selling the originals in the first place will REALLY hurt them! :lol:

joe8

margarine sandwich
15 Year Member
The Super MVS converter 2 can satisfy you if you buy 3 of them and try them all out and see which one works 99%(If you are even that lucky), or buy a known good working one. The quality control in the SMC2 is horrid. The scaling and other issues are not related to any Neo revision nor serial number, everything points to the SMC2(I stand by this statement 100%). Very inconsistent quality.

so that's the problem, quality control? In that case there would be members on here that have one that works with perfect scaling on their system. It would help if we could work out the ratio of converters that work perfectly, eg whether it's 3 to 1 good one, 4 to 1 etc. It would be good if a reasonable number of them work perfectly.
Can anyone please reply to this post if they have a super mvs 2 that works with perfect scaling on their AES?

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Here is something interesting about the Super Converter II. I was trying to play Blazing Star today and after about 2 mins into the 1st level the game would freeze up. It did this serveral times. I reseated the cart and all that.

So I decided to swap out my 5V SNK power supply that came with my AES with one I had recently ordered from jamma nation - x.

Bingo. It worked 100% perfect. Me and my son played straight through the game.

So even though the 2 are rated the same, maybe the old one is getting weak?

Last edited:

awbacon

Kyokughen Trainee
10 Year Member
I was thinking about picking one up, but for the money a cmvs sounds like a lot safer investment

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Here is something interesting about the Super Converter II. I was trying to play Blazing Star today and after about 2 mins into the 1st level the game would freeze up. It did this serveral times. I reseated the cart and all that.

So I decided to swap out my 5V SNK power supply that came with my AES with one I had recently ordered from jamma nation - x.

Bingo. It worked 100% perfect. Me and my son played straight through the game.

So even though the 2 are rated the same, maybe the old one is getting weak?

Ya that is weird. I would guess the same that the oem PSU is starting to fail.

Official Ninja

Morden's Lackey
Ya that is weird. I would guess the same that the oem PSU is starting to fail.

Yeah. I ordered another psu from jamma nation-x.

When I play my AES games the OEM psu never gives me any trouble. Only when using the converter.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
so that's the problem, quality control? In that case there would be members on here that have one that works with perfect scaling on their system.
Read back in the thread. There's BIG BEAR, who swore it was his AES model, and I believe someone else as well.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Does nobody have the ability to upload screenshots of their Neo except me?

For the ones with the scaling problem I would love to see a screen shot and know what board revision you have, I would guess a 3-6.

Jag-Master

"Hey, are we done here?..., Cause I'm losing my bu
15 Year Member
Yeah. I ordered another psu from jamma nation-x.

What is all this fuss about this "Jamma Nation X website?

I heard that operation is bogus.....lol Nice work on those wireless neo sticks James, very slick.

..and yes that is a Big Bear auction. Just PM him about it. I take no sides on the various conv. as I've never owned either. But as it has been mentioned before, both have their respective ups and downs.

Bay78

Geese's Thug
10 Year Member
I just bought my mvs converter II from the Neo store. I was confused like everyone else whether to get the adaptor or not. Then I found a different page in the Neo Store that explained that they tested it on Japanese and American Neo-Geos and it didn't need the adapter. But the Euro and Korean Neo-Geos weren't tested enough and may require that adapter. I hope that helps