Street Fighter HD Remix Thread

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Well, I played it for the first time online last night in three different lobbies and the game ran fine.

But, of course, my first player match was hosted by your typical XBox Live black stereotype. Every other word out of his mouth was either a swear or n****. I watched him fight and he was a typical Shoto scrub, so I picked Ken and wiped the floor with him, and he was none too happy.

I notice how almost all the rooms I played in with have "That Guy" the one who can pick just about every character and mop the floor with the entire lobby playing. All the other players do is bitch and cry, but I guess I'm a sucker because I LIKE to have my ass handed to me, because it makes me want to get better, then crying like a baby.

I should be on tonight, so look me up, my live name is Moon Jump81

Also, how hard is it to mod the Hori Stick? I got it for VF5 and it's WAY too clicky for me, and I want to see about better buttons, would it be too hard for a first timer to do? Or should I find somebody that does it?

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
Good games with ya tonight, BBH. But, holy shit, did I get annihilated. That one dude's Blanka was starting to piss me off, too.

:emb: gg's. I don't like 3/5 for player matches though, especially in a 6-player room since it wasn't private.

subcons

I take no official position on the issue.,
Also, how hard is it to mod the Hori Stick? I got it for VF5 and it's WAY too clicky for me, and I want to see about better buttons, would it be too hard for a first timer to do? Or should I find somebody that does it?

Replacing the gate and/or putting a bat top on there is simple; read this.

Replacing the buttons isn't that hard from the looks of it, just requires ability to solder. I've got a stick coming (hopefully) and I'm planning on doing the gate mod immediately. Got the parts sitting her waiting. I may attempt the buttons later if they're getting on my nerves or crap out, whichever comes first. The snap in 30mm Sanwas or Seimitsus (whichever you prefer) do the trick. There are a bunch of tutorials for that, just Google it.

Mr.Nemoperson

Bunker Buster
15 Year Member
Replacing the gate and/or putting a bat top on there is simple; read this.

Replacing the buttons isn't that hard from the looks of it, just requires ability to solder. I've got a stick coming (hopefully) and I'm planning on doing the gate mod immediately. Got the parts sitting her waiting. I may attempt the buttons later if they're getting on my nerves or crap out, whichever comes first. The snap in 30mm Sanwas or Seimitsus (whichever you prefer) do the trick. There are a bunch of tutorials for that, just Google it.

Its not too hard. You just have to grind down the tabs they put in place around the button holes, cut down the connectors on the buttons so they can fit , and then desolder the older buttons and then solder in the new ones. Just be careful of the wires leading to the PCB. They can easily break off and its a bitch soldering them back into place due to their size.
Replacing the joystick with a JLF is a little trickier but can be done.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
Cool, I'll check it out. I'm more of a fan of Japanese style ball top sticks, so I just want something smooth and not so damn clicky.

TemJin3000

Axel's Trainer
ordered the HRAP for the 360 just now. gooooooooooooooodbye EX2! i don't mind the clicky-ness, as long as the HRAP is more responsive than the EX2.

anyways, got the 100 ranked wins achivement recently, so now im gonna concentrate on player matches. so, be sure to invite me if you see me online. thanks in advance.

payment_due

Arcade Trading Room Troll? Well its about damn t
I hadn't played SSF2T in a while, and I've been playing it offline on my PS3 for the last couple of weeks off and on. I'm no pro, what so ever but I just got a Virtua Fighter 5 stick and got the XBL version and have a question about the XBOX Live version of this game...

when it it become Super Street THROWER II Turbo? That's all anyone knows how to do and that's all anyone actually DOES. Throw, throw throw throw. That's lame.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member
when it it become Super Street THROWER II Turbo? That's all anyone knows how to do and that's all anyone actually DOES. Throw, throw throw throw. That's lame.

Get used to it. That's what ST is all about. If you let yourself get thrown a dozen times, you deserve to be thrown a dozen times.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Get used to it. That's what ST is all about. If you let yourself get thrown a dozen times, you deserve to be thrown a dozen times.

Yeah, I love when I tech out of a good players throws. Because it either means that I expected his throw or I was trying to do one myself. Learning when to expect it is pretty important.

payment_due

Yeah, I love when I tech out of a good players throws. Because it either means that I expected his throw or I was trying to do one myself. Learning when to expect it is pretty important.

meh. at the arcades I grew up around, throwing was considered a 'cheap shot' and wasn't used. it was an unspoken rule, just like when you put your quarters up on the bezel to be next. if you used a throw and you weren't a grappler it was considered cheap. guess i'll stick to playing off line with my beer buddies. bummer.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
meh. at the arcades I grew up around, throwing was considered a 'cheap shot' and wasn't used. it was an unspoken rule, just like when you put your quarters up on the bezel to be next. if you used a throw and you weren't a grappler it was considered cheap. guess i'll stick to playing off line with my beer buddies. bummer.

:lol:

Did you all go out for ice cream together after a friendly game of super turbo at the arcade?

payment_due

im not exactly sure what you're making fun of but whatever makes you get the 'lulz'.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
throws are cheap! you threw me now i gotta throw you!

the only cheap shit would be exploiting glitches like guile had, but theyre not even in super turbo.

learn to play.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
It can be pretty annoying to get tossed around like a rag doll but its just one of those things you have to learn to deal with if you want to play online.

not sonic

King of Typists,
15 Year Member
too funny. people always gotta try and start an argument here. sheesh.

im not, its just the truth. throws are in the game and people are going to execute them because of their high damage.

house rules are fine if you dont expect everyone to follow them outside of your house. so basically i dont mind if you want to play with no throws, just dont complain that people outside of your house rules use a built in gameplay mechanic.

payment_due

, just dont complain that people outside of your house rules use a built in gameplay mechanic.

well thats just it, isn't it ,then. It not a 'house' rule. Where I grew up there were at least 20 different arcades in the area all within about 75 miles of eachother, all of which I visited several times, and only 3 or so that i frequented. At every single one, the 'cheap shot' rule was known, and not just for Street Fighter. any game WITH throws in it had the rule.

I can't imagine stuff like the 'quarter on the bezel' rule, the 'no infinite glitches with Cinder', or no akuma in the tourney rules made it out of local arcades and made it across the country but the cheap shots thing didn't?

No way. In fact, I *just* saw one of the achievements on the XBL version of this game, one of which is called "Throwing is cheap". course the achievement is PRO-throwing, not anti-throwing, but the sentiment is there. The guys there heard of a cheap shot. So the cheap shots thing was definitely prevalent, unless of course one of the Devs for SSF2THD was from my area, lol.

I cant say it's 'unfair' because yes, its in the game and I am NOT calling it cheating, because it's not. Its just... cheap is all. It takes away from the game and only shortens it. I like combos and such, even if I'm on the receiving end.

On the other hand, I got my ass HANDED to me by a Zangief player about an hour ago. I dont like any grapplers other than Hugo but I had hand it to him, he (or she?) played a MEAN Zangief. It was all grapples, but thats what Z is all about so I thought that was a cool fight, even though I lost.

SonGohan

Made of Wood
20 Year Member

You played with scrubs.

BigTinz

VT's Bitch , You can fuck this mouth for a fruit c
I love to ZanGrief unsuspecting players.

cannonball

Master Brewer, Genzai Sake Co.
15 Year Member
im not exactly sure what you're making fun of but whatever makes you get the 'lulz'.

I think it's funny that people are so lazy they have to call a move cheap because they can't hold back on their stick to avoid the move...they have to actually do something. It's not cheap...you're just lazy.

BBH

1cc my ASS!,
20 Year Member
well thats just it, isn't it ,then. It not a 'house' rule. Where I grew up there were at least 20 different arcades in the area all within about 75 miles of eachother, all of which I visited several times, and only 3 or so that i frequented. At every single one, the 'cheap shot' rule was known, and not just for Street Fighter. any game WITH throws in it had the rule.

Yeah, throwing was a big deal back in 1991 during Street Fighter II World Warrior. Tick throws were damn near inescapable a lot of the time, and since a lot of people were still learning to play, nobody knew how to counter these things.

But you know what happened over the years? Throws got weakened. In Champion Edition they became fully reversible with your own counter-throw if you were expecting it (except if you didn't have enough throw range vs. someone like Dhalsim). They started doing a little less damage. And then in Super Turbo, tech softening was introduced. From that point on, throws in Street Fighter games got worse and worse in terms of damage and throw range (except for X-Men vs. Street Fighter, where throws did hella damage and often let you juggle/infinite afterwards. But I don't think we're going to count that as true SF...)

The "cheapest" aspect of throws in Super Turbo is the "throw loops" that Balrog, Dhalsim, and Ken could do - get them in a multi-hit grab, then when it ends you can move towards them immediately and tick into another grab. It's always been a very abusable part of the game. But in HD Remix they reduced the throw range for all three of these throws, so it's now possible for just about any character to counter-throw them if you're expecting the trap (a character coming out of blockstun or hitstun always has a one frame advantage in which THEY can throw the other character first. Try tick throwing the CPU from SF2 Champion Edition on and you'll see they always have advantage). And yes although I obviously do use throws, I think weakening the most abusable throw loops in the game was definitely a good idea for HD Remix.

Unfortunately, a lot of scrubs never realized the part about counter-throwing becoming a viable strategy and decided to enforce "no throwing" rules in their arcades, even though it was an aspect that was made more fair over the years. I know back in the day there were threats and even fights over throwing in SF, and so those people didn't want to change their style of playing. If you and your friends play by a no-throw policy, you're limiting the game for yourselves. Although you're obviously not tournament players, it's worth pointing out that there is NO respectable Super Turbo tournament out there that places a ban/limit on throws.

I can't imagine stuff like the 'quarter on the bezel' rule, the 'no infinite glitches with Cinder', or no akuma in the tourney rules made it out of local arcades and made it across the country but the cheap shots thing didn't?

No way. In fact, I *just* saw one of the achievements on the XBL version of this game, one of which is called "Throwing is cheap". course the achievement is PRO-throwing, not anti-throwing, but the sentiment is there. The guys there heard of a cheap shot. So the cheap shots thing was definitely prevalent, unless of course one of the Devs for SSF2THD was from my area, lol.

Yeah, it's a tongue-in-cheek acknowledgement of the old days. They know how these things were considered cheap back then. The difference is, it's not cheap NOW.

I cant say it's 'unfair' because yes, its in the game and I am NOT calling it cheating, because it's not. Its just... cheap is all. It takes away from the game and only shortens it. I like combos and such, even if I'm on the receiving end.

Shortens the game? lol... Super Turbo has always been a fast, high-damage game. And you know what? I love it for that. Sucks to be in the arcade having to pay another coin when you lose, but for home play it's great. Learn how to tech regular throws (i.e. go for throws yourself) and you'll take less damage, and the rounds will last longer.

The point is that throwing makes the game deeper and more exciting. If someone doesn't throw at all, it just makes it a lot easier to focus on their attack patterns, which end up becoming a lot more predictable and easier to beat. But if someone does throw, well that opens up a lot more options for every situation. Say someone knocks me down and then goes for a crossup while I'm getting up. Maybe they're going to try to throw after the crossup attack is blocked, and I can turn the tables and counter-throw them first. Or maybe they're expecting me to try to throw and end up baiting it by walking back a bit first until blockstun ends, and then they end up doing a low attack that hits me, and now I'm subject to a quick combo. Situations like that happen all the time, and you have to put in more effort to out-think your opponent, and I do think that makes for a more exciting game. If you're not using throws, well then if I want to win I can just put that fear of getting thrown out of my head completely and throw you first, get a life lead, and then just hold down-back and use my best pokes to keep you out (or vertical jump over fireballs). If you don't have an overhead and think throwing is cheap, what are you going to do to me?

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Anything that works in the game is valid, is as simple as that. You either get better or quit playing, there's no middle ground here.

There's plenty of scrubs out there, but in all honesty there's plenty of excellent players around as well all you gotta do is filter out all those scrubs a little bit at a time. I've been lucky that I've run into excellent players and slowly I've gathered them everytime so now we're all playing SSF2THDR together happily ever after! I've managed to find two amazing groups; One is mostly americans and they are all excellent and varied, they play with different characters and use them proficciently. The other group is mostly hispanic mostly mexican, but there's some brazilians, cubans, puertoricans, but I'm the only colombian in there.:( They are all excellent as well, but they tend to stick to one or two characters like myself which is fine, but is worth noting.

I love to talk trash while playing, but I do it friendly. I guess I find a way to talk shit without being offensive and making people laugh while I'm crushing their hopes for survival, sometimes I have to stay calm though as I loose focus of the fight very easily 'cause I'm to busy laughing or calling out predictable patterns.

So you see there's like two types of great players out there; The cheap ones which are usually the better players that do anything to win no matter what it looks like or how annoying it can be, and then there's the pretty ones that play with all kinds of combinations and wow you at everyturn with amazing combos all across the screen. I tend to adapt to either when the situation calls for it, but I preffer a good display of prowness over an effective routine, sometimes it costs me the match, but fuck it! is all about getting better anyway.

To all those complainers there's always the computer which is gonna rape you anyway, so either get online and practice up, or step aside.

Cheap might be cheap but if it works you need to ask yourself what you're doing wrong and work on it. Playing online has seriously made me better, I didn't think it would and I didn't know that I had so much room for improvement and yet now I feel that I've only scratch the surface, so I'm trying to get better everyday and I welcome the cheese, 'cause if it doesn't come then I'll never learn how to slice it.

I hope I can get to fight you all one of these days.

payment_due

what bbh said

Yeah, I can't argue with that. You make several valid points. Thanks for the info on that, and thanks for actually adding to the conversation, rather than trying to come in here and start an argument or posting a one line 'you suck' type reply like some of the other children.

I've never been a pro SSF2T player. Love the game, just never really got good at it.