SOTM February 2022: Batsugun Special - Raffle Underway!

Ajax

way more american than wyo, way more
15 Year Member
I've been sitting on a score from yesterday. Maybe I should post it before it becomes sucky... 👀

Also, how the hell does the two hit system work? Seems like sometimes you can take a hit before dying, but sometimes not. Any idea?

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I've been sitting on a score from yesterday. Maybe I should post it before it becomes sucky... 👀

Also, how the hell does the two hit system work? Seems like sometimes you can take a hit before dying, but sometimes not. Any idea?
I noticed that too

Ajax

15 Year Member
Screen Shot 2022-02-03 at 11.45.50 AM.png
Ajax - 1,946,290 - Stage 5 - Mame

I got taken out by literally the last popcorn enemy on the screen 😭

On the two hit thing, the only thing I've been able to come up with so far is that you gain the ability to take a hit after you level up. I'm probably not going to consciously test this hypothesis though.

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
_rm_ - 3.961,410 - Stage 7 - PCB
lDriBVy.jpg

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
View attachment 55629
Ajax - 1,946,290 - Stage 5 - Mame

I got taken out by literally the last popcorn enemy on the screen 😭

On the two hit thing, the only thing I've been able to come up with so far is that you gain the ability to take a hit after you level up. I'm probably not going to consciously test this hypothesis though.
Gotta add yours to the list…

_rm_

Bead Banger
10 Year Member
Not sure if it's my mind playing tricks on me, but the game seems a bit easier if you always power cycle after a run. I see this is a common practice in game centers in Japan with some games, no idea if it actually makes any difference with this one...

Ajax

15 Year Member
The first 1 all appears!

Word, good insight. I'll be sure to, um, reload the rom after my runs 😭

Also, I remembered that I have a Saturn, and I've been playing that version a bit too.

The first time I ever played Batsugun Sp., I cleared the first loop. Fels like I've lost the mojo, somehow. Clear out a space in the cabana for me, @gusmoney

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
I'm really going to put some time in this weekend because so far I have no idea how I even got to 720k, I keep hitting 400k or so before exploding in deathfire.

Gremlin

Hi, I'm Gmegbln
10 Year Member
Sat down with it finally, wanted to post my first credit:

Gremlin - 1,601,590 - Stage 4 - MAME

1643936886964.png

Damn, I totally understand the hype now. This game fuckin' rules. Feels really great to play, everything flows really well, beautiful spritework, soundtrack goes perfectly with the visuals and just a really stylish, confident game. 100% feels like a proto-DonPachi. I really don't want to have to set up a groovymame PC again but god damn do I want to play this in a cab. It'd be a dream PCB to own for sure

Obviously I'm going to stick with Iceman, I don't care if there's a tier list
Everyone seems pretty balanced to me so far though

Couple questions:
  • What region is everyone using? The intro screen of my 100% legal copy that I dumped myself for personal use only says Europe
  • Button 3 seems to be mapped to autofire. Is that legit or some weird romhack? Are we OK with autofire?
  • I don't understand how the collisions work exactly, I haven't really come to a conclusion as to what does and doesn't kill you instantly (collisions with enemies kill you instantly?)

1643937678669.png

egg_sanwich

Windjammers Wonder
10 Year Member
  • What region is everyone using? The intro screen of my 100% legal copy that I dumped myself for personal use only says Europe
  • Button 3 seems to be mapped to autofire. Is that legit or some weird romhack? Are we OK with autofire?
  • I don't understand how the collisions work exactly, I haven't really come to a conclusion as to what does and doesn't kill you instantly (collisions with enemies kill you instantly?)
- I'm using Europe as well, that was the one I found onl... I mean in my legally owned pile of roms.
- Built in autofire is legit, go for it
- Whenever you level up you gain a shield (denoted by the white trailing effect on your ship). Even once you are maxed out at Level 3, filling the exp gauge again will grant you a shield

This is my first time playing this and yes, it is awesome. I think I like it more than Donpachi to be honest, the graphics are so bold and bright, the soundtrack kicks ass, and the whole experience gets the blood pumping. I found the Type B ship to be devestating, it really made short work of bosses and popcorn enemies and everything in between.

egg_sanwich - 2,777,220 - Stage 5 - MAME

UJStEIo.jpg

FredyFired

Fired up the fuck
Noob of the Year
FredyFired - 4,799,800 - Stage 8 - MAME

batsugun.png

Watch out @Ajax ! Tried the type-B ship, seems to be the easiest to score with? I'm undecided between type-B and C for now, type-A is for sure the hardest to play as tho. Also not exactly sure what I've done, but my ROM changed to the Korea version for some reason, even tho it was Europe before.

Last edited: