SOTM August: U.N SQUADRON / AREA 88

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
1181242184167.jpg

Thank you all for your votes!! I am proud to present the SOTM for August is UN Squardon. One of my all time favorites as I'm sure it is several other of your favorites as well based on the poll results!!

There will be 2 score boards, one for the jamma/arcade/mame version, and one for the snes version.

Dips settings are default for U.N. Squad, based on manual. Dip Sw B: 1,2,3 = ON, ON, OFF, respectively for "Normal" setting.

As always, no continue on any format.
Auto A-OK, just notate if you used pls..

Enjoy the game, I will be updating this more once I get home today. Sorry myscoreboard isnt super fancy style like the BOTM competition, so, make sure you go over there and check it out, and contribute to it as well!!

Arcade/pcb/mame

Name/player used/level/score

1.andsuchisdeath - Shin - ALL - 1,340,860 - mame
2.jepjepjep - Shin - ALL - 1,207,430 - CPS1 (autofire)
3.Mendel - Shin - 9 - 466,300 - CPS1
4.FOMOCO - Shin - 7 - 456,600 - cps1
5.Tyranix95 - Mickey - 6 - 232,620 - CPS1
6.BerryTogart - MAME - 81,030 - mame

Snes

Name/player used/level/Score

1. andsuchisdeath - Shin- ALL -1,749,500
2. joecommando-Shin-all 1,454,000
3. SNKorSWM - Greg - ALL - 894100
4. FOMOCO - Mickey - 8 or 9 - 527,600

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
thCAXMCKTR.jpg

pulled from the operator manual...
Capture.PNG

Last edited:

Tw3ek

69Vapelord420
10 Year Member
Count me in for Area 88! Love that game :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
unsquadronsnes.jpg

SNES

andsuchisdeath - Shin- ALL -1,179,200

unsquadac.jpg

Arcade

andsuchisdeath - Shin - ALL - 1,340,860 (Auto on)

Yeah, autofire certainly doesn't break the game. Most of the UN Squadron scores on the shmups forum have auto on.
If they're ok with it, it has to be acceptable. RIGHT?

Last edited:

opt2not

Fu'un-Ken Master
10 Year Member
What are the major differences between the Arcade version vs. the SNES port?
I'm too lazy to google it.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
What are the major differences between the Arcade version vs. the SNES port?
I'm too lazy to google it.

One's not an RPG and one is.

No seriously, they only share some similarities really.

The arcade original is a very straightforward hori.

The SNES game has some levels omitted, many added and almost all preexisting ones altered. The snes game has a huge emphasis on money management and rpg style "grinding" I guess.

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
Based on my (not so scientific) research, mashing doesn't seem to increase my rate of fire at all regardless of how fast I do it. Should be fine.

3 shots per press on pcb, keeping a timed, consistent on and off press, vs..... with auto fire, of course, just holding the button, that's the biggest diff, that really just plays a factor in the longer games etc...

That being said, Ill include both on the scoreboard, but please advise of what method you used!

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
I found myself playing this different since I was plying for score, I deff spammed cluster and other specials more that I would normally try to hold onto... that being said, I was dying on stuff I shouldnlt have been..

On another note, I think the music on the 'Minks' stage is the knees, I was hummin' along like I was in high school again haha..

Also, by the time I died, I still had the 2 levels before the last one left, I was in the cave and forced to waste my money on the YF23, tho, I also bought the F14D early on out of habit...

I think the next go I would hold out until I can just grab the F200....suggestions here?? Maybe a better step ship anyone would recommended with some good overall weapon availabilities etc..

I'll be working on my pcb score today while drinking some coffeeee as well, so watch the eff outttt...!!

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'll be working on my pcb score today while drinking some coffeeee as well, so watch the eff outttt...!!

Although I drink my coffee black, I suggest drinking coffee with plenty of MILK in it for the SNES port.

IMO the way to go is to:

Play the first 4 stages with your default ship.
Milk the hell out of the trucks.
Buy the Efreet.

milktruck.jpg

Last edited:

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
Joecommando Greg-All- 589,900 No money trucks :)

will try another run today, this time with trucks

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
So only was able to do a run or two today, of course...

So you deff get about 8 to 12 shots a press, but when it comes down to bosses, timing that and smashing away on specials gets tricky unless you just start smashin both... anyways, thought I would do better than I did.. got to level 7, in the air with the bombers etc..

Side note, I used Shin (Mickey I used first, hes my normal I would say), I never really used Shin, but was surprised, I did better than using Mickey today...

Another side note, I mostly used Greg when younger, always thought the extra gun angle was the no brainer, advantage.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
So only was able to do a run or two today, of course...
got to level 7, in the air with the bombers etc..

The bombers in level 7 gave me more grief than anything in the game.

Wait for the 4 cylinders to drop from a bomber first. Then position yourself either slightly below (or in one case) above them as well as behind them.

Just shoot the southern or northernmost part of their tail. The hitbox of an appropriately powered up shot is large enough where you'll never have to be lined up with them. Because dodging the red lines they shoot out the back? No thanks. Especially when two bombers are on screen.

I'll also suggest to stay high the whole time during the first half (the ground portion) of stage 7.

The napalm that the greenish(?) planes drop can hit you easily if you're not high up. Stay high, try to point blank the napalm planes, and don't be stingy using the falcon missiles for all the ground enemies present. You'll end up getting weapon restocks by the time you're soaring in the sky.

Last edited:

FOMOCO&CO

Belnar Institute Student
20 Year Member
The napalm that the greenish(?) planes drop can hit you easily if you're not high up. Stay high, try to point blank the napalm planes, and don't be stingy using the falcon missiles for all the ground enemies present. You'll end up getting weapon restocks by the time you're soaring in the sky.

The were messing me up on the boss right before this level... So I started to try to take them out as soon as they hit the screen... I will definitely have to work on those red super shell firing middle types...

cdamm

Trust the French?
10 Year Member
shit.

first run i was rusty. not a score to submit .

second run. broke my snes controller. now i need to dig as most of my stuff is packed away in bins due to the flood.

fuck.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
shit.

first run i was rusty. not a score to submit .

second run. broke my snes controller. now i need to dig as most of my stuff is packed away in bins due to the flood.

fuck.

Haha, rage controller break? or just a failure?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
SNKorSWM-Greg-ALL-894100
DSC00380-1.jpg

Grinded on the trucks for Efreet and enough ammo to go with it.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
where do you pull those shmups out? lol - UN Squadron - never heard of that but the name is a winner. I'll try to find the time to do a run on this

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
It's pretty damn mainstream.

Yeah but I'm not much of a shmup expert so most of the stuff is rather new to me.
btw: can someone with more experience or non-emulation tell me about the "auto-fire" stuff? It seems on mame the Basic shot auto-fires itself (no auto-fire button), but it stops after a couple of shots - if you press the button again there's auto fire for a limited time again. (it's pretty annoying tbh)

Last edited:

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Yeah but I'm not much of a shmup expert so most of the stuff is rather new to me.

It's all good. Part of these game of the months (IMO) should be to open peoples eyes to titles they're unfamiliar with.

It's just that UN Squadron has always kind of been a SNES household name, whether you're a shooter enthusiast or not.

BerryTogart

Bolt Thrower.,
I'll get myself on the board at least with my first tries - I really like this game except for the auto-fire issue.
I was a bit disappointed that the extra weapons don't carry over - so what you basically do is collect enough cash in each round to buy the "better" option in the next round? (well I guess the excess cash stays)
So far I've only been able to make some progress with the 2nd plane as this gives me a "round my ship" clearer - any tips welcome.

BerryTogart - MAME - 46630 PTS - No Auto Fire (see my post above - I guess "Auto fire" means a stick that has the option as a "limited autofire" seems to be built in)

uns.png

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
I'll get myself on the board at least with my first tries - I really like this game except for the auto-fire issue.
I was a bit disappointed that the extra weapons don't carry over - so what you basically do is collect enough cash in each round to buy the "better" option in the next round? (well I guess the excess cash stays)
So far I've only been able to make some progress with the 2nd plane as this gives me a "round my ship" clearer - any tips welcome.

BerryTogart - MAME - 46630 PTS - No Auto Fire (see my post above - I guess "Auto fire" means a stick that has the option as a "limited autofire" seems to be built in)

View attachment 17246

I'm not sure that I understand you. If your playing the arcade version, cash shouldn't be in issue. As long as you're killing a normal amount of enemies on screen you'll have enough cash to buy the proper weapons for the next stage (assuming you're not trying to buy a shield in every stage. That should only really be for stage 10 I think).

The second ship? Mickey? I didn't know if you were talking snes for a minute.

If you're using MAME there should be an option for autofire.

joecommando

Amusaka's Lacky
10 Year Member
BTW I havent heard this mentioned yet, but Mickey is actually bugged in the SNES version because his ability to fire multiple special weapons doesnt work and therefore is a gimped pilot. Greg is easiest pilot to beat the game with IMO cause he can take extra damage.