sooo yeah...it's an exciting life

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I've wiped out quite a few times mountain biking

the last time though, I injured my shoulder and it caused some muscle wasting (atrophy)

it was a bitch to rehabilitate

that's my story I guess

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Never fell off my bike or wiped out bad. Only time I had a bad accident when I was walking with my Dad around the age of 9. Fell and scratched up my face real bad.

I'm just boring and overly cautious.

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
melchia said:
cannondale? any idea what model?

He bought it sometime in the late '90s, but I believe it was a Rush model, painted bright yellow.

I couldn't believe how fast you could go on it. It blew absolutely everything I've ever ridden out of the water. If I had some nice bike trails around my area, I'd love to get one.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Zenimus said:
He bought it sometime in the late '90s, but I believe it was a Rush model, painted bright yellow.

I couldn't believe how fast you could go on it. It blew absolutely everything I've ever ridden out of the water. If I had some nice bike trails around my area, I'd love to get one.
from what i can tell there are four pretty lengthy trails with moderate to very respectable altitude gains:

Wood Canyon, Cholla, and Rock-it (this is actually three different trails at the same park)
San Juan Trail
Sycamore Run

for more trails: http://trails.mtbr.com/

BryLmoo

AES Contact Cleaner, Extraordinaire!!!,
20 Year Member
i'm glad to hear that you're okay!
:)

Zenimus

Zantetsu's Blade Sharpener
melchia said:
from what i can tell there are four pretty lengthy trails with moderate to very respectable altitude gains:

Wood Canyon, Cholla, and Rock-it (this is actually three different trails at the same park)
San Juan Trail
Sycamore Run

for more trails: http://trails.mtbr.com/

Ah, I guess there are a few trails around here in the southern area.

As weird as it sounds, even though Orange County is smaller than Rhode Island, I've actually only rarely been to the southern part the county. All the fun stuff is in the north; the south is mostly just quiet neighborhoods in the hills.

Thanks for pointing out that website. I think I might try a few of those trails this summer.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
Glad to hear you're alright.

Me? Well, I've had way too many accidents really, some pretty severe ones too. Biking related tho? Just one really (and not too severe).

I was like 13 years old, pedaling down a street as fast as I could on the sidewalk. There was a thin tree branch barely sticking out into the sidewalk which I saw at the last moment and tried to avoid it. I almost did, the branch barely reached me and cut my left arm starting from my wrist all the way to my shoulder as I passed by on my bike. When I stopped to see my injury, my entire arm had blood oozing out of the long ass cut. Left a nasty scar for a while but thankfully it's healed up by now. Can't even see it anymore.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Arthas said:
Glad to hear you're alright.

Me? Well, I've had way too many accidents really, some pretty severe ones too. Biking related tho? Just one really (and not too severe).

I was like 13 years old, pedaling down a street as fast as I could on the sidewalk. There was a thin tree branch barely sticking out into the sidewalk which I saw at the last moment and tried to avoid it. I almost did, the branch barely reached me and cut my left arm starting from my wrist all the way to my shoulder as I passed by on my bike. When I stopped to see my injury, my entire arm had blood oozing out of the long ass cut. Left a nasty scar for a while but thankfully it's healed up by now. Can't even see it anymore.
heh, you know...el paso actually has a trail (on mt franklin) that i'm thinking about trying in early july. it'll make for a nice break from visiting with relatives. :glee:

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
I took a tumble down a dozen concrete stairs when I was a tike. Walked away needing only a half-dozen stitches on my chin and a small scar to show for it. It could've ended worse than that.

Then there's time I discovered, the hard way, that I'm severely allergic to hazelnuts. Of course, when I found out I was in the hospital after I had blacked out (on account of my throat swelling to a close) as I was being hauled into the ambulance. After they pumped me full of IVs, my stomach for contents, and did a subsequent "scratch" test the nurse told me what I had eaten that caused it all.

Good times.

Lastblade

Friend me on Facebook!,
20 Year Member
Glad you will recover fully, it would suck if you need more medical attention.

GregN

aka The Grinch
20 Year Member
Magician said:
I took a tumble down a dozen concrete stairs when I was a tike. Walked away needing only a half-dozen stitches on my chin and a small scar to show for it. It could've ended worse than that.

Then there's time I discovered, the hard way, that I'm severely allergic to hazelnuts. Of course, when I found out I was in the hospital after I had blacked out (on account of my throat swelling to a close) as I was being hauled into the ambulance. After they pumped me full of IVs, my stomach for contents, and did a subsequent "scratch" test the nurse told me what I had eaten that caused it all.

Good times.

May contain peanuts LoL

Magician

A simple man who simply loves gaming.
20 Year Member
GregN. said:
May contain peanuts LoL

That'd be hellish if I were allergic to peanuts; I love peanuts.

My great grandmother was allergic to strawberries, that'd suck too; strawberries, so good.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
The other night when I was jerking off, I was getting a little too "into it" and nearly fell backwards in my chair and hit my head on the floor.

Now that's what I call "Extreme Whacking".

melchia

Franco's Trainer
galfordo said:
The other night when I was jerking off, I was getting a little too "into it" and nearly fell backwards in my chair and hit my head on the floor.

Now that's what I call "Extreme Whacking".
well, anything to liven things up a bit, i suppose.

aria

Former Moderator
Shoulder... yikes. If you're doctor said don't do anything with your shoulder until it is 100% recovered, or anything similar, follow his recommendations. Shoulders are not to be messed with, at all.

Arthas

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
15 Year Member
melchia said:
heh, you know...el paso actually has a trail (on mt franklin) that i'm thinking about trying in early july. it'll make for a nice break from visiting with relatives. :glee:
Oh yea, of course I know :p , not that I've ever actually been on the trail myself tho (well, I have on my car). But I used to see cyclists going up there all the time. Hope it's fun if you do go.

hanafuda

Dr. Brown's Time Machine Mechanic
Had quite a few painful falls while snowboarding.

Thankfully nothing more serious than hurt pride and a few days of aching.

melchia

Franco's Trainer
Bobak said:
Shoulder... yikes. If you're doctor said don't do anything with your shoulder until it is 100% recovered, or anything similar, follow his recommendations. Shoulders are not to be messed with, at all.
yeah, i've been following the recommendations so far...i really don't like that i haven't been able to do much upper body weight training, but otherwise not too much has changed. i've got a check-up in two days, and it already feel MUCH better (not 100% but it's getting there :glee: ).

ki_atsushi

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
melchia said:
yeah, i've been following the recommendations so far...i really don't like that i haven't been able to do much upper body weight training, but otherwise not too much has changed. i've got a check-up in two days, and it already feel MUCH better (not 100% but it's getting there :glee: ).

Glad to hear it's feeling better. I think you injured your shoulder in the best way ppossible (if there is a best way :p ). If you haven't injured the rotator cuff you're in good shape.