Sega Master System Appreciation thread

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
One of the best games on the MS is Golden Axe Warrior. A stunning Zelda-like game, like Neutopia on the PCE, it has better audio-visuals than the original and equal gameplay quality. The first Zillion is a great Metroid alternative, most of the Disney games are top notch - Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, Deep Duck Trouble, Lucky Dime Caper etc. - and differ from their Mega Drive counterparts, sometimes they're even better. From the same team are both Asterix games, which are excellent. Some lesser known good games are Psychic World, Quartet and Danan: The Jungle Fighter. All in all it's a very specific console, which makes it a bit tricky to appreciate. It's definitely worth a try though.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Nice to see someone doing their research and playing the right games first.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
most of the Disney games are top notch - Castle of Illusion, World of Illusion, Deep Duck Trouble, Lucky Dime Caper etc. - and differ from their Mega Drive counterparts, sometimes they're even better.

These games really blew me away when I first started getting into Master System stuff. The animation and graphics are fantastic. The games have a high level of polish. It really shows what the system is capable of.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
Master of Darkness is a neat castlevania clone. Also has a GG port.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
Master of Darkness is a neat castlevania clone. Also has a GG port.

Much like with the 8-bit Sonics, the expanded resolution of the Master System really makes it a much better option than the Game Gear version. More screen real estate makes it much easier to pick up on enemy patterns and such.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
These games really blew me away when I first started getting into Master System stuff. The animation and graphics are fantastic. The games have a high level of polish. It really shows what the system is capable of.

I think you might be exaggerating just a little

tangemo

New Challenger
Much like with the 8-bit Sonics, the expanded resolution of the Master System really makes it a much better option than the Game Gear version. More screen real estate makes it much easier to pick up on enemy patterns and such.

Thought the same thing about the Dynamite Headdy port.

I really enjoyed Miracle Warriors and Captain Silver as well back in the day.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
I have set up my MD with the SMS convertor and have been playing all the way through my small SMS games library.

As a rabid Wonder Boy fan the first two WB games were the first to get played (too bad that WB 2 does not work with the MD arcade stick when played with a convertor), followed by two hours of Black Belt, the Western release of Hokuto no Ken with quite a lot of differences compared to the Japanese version. Gameplay is there, tho, so I don't really mind that much.

Next in line was Alien Syndrome, it's not really an arcade-exact port but I always liked it for some reason. It defo has the difficulty level of the original, that's for sure, and that quick enemy respawning...

Power Strike II came next, it's one of the best vert shmups on the system. Compile quality, eh.

...and then there's Shinobi, the Alex Kidd games, The Ninja, Master of Darkness, etc., etc...

Z-80-based 8bit machines rule, plain and simple. There's something in them that I find very attractive, be it the SMS, Speccy, MSX, etc. Great chip, great stuff.

I also had a model 1 SMS back in the day but gave it to my nephews when they were old enough and got interested in video games. Not planning to buy the console again but if I did, I'd make sure to get a model 1 for the RGB port which the model 2 doesn't have. It's possible to mod the model 2 to output RGB but it takes some soldering and I'm not very good at that.

McColbo

Overtop Pathfinder
Fantasy Zone 1 and 2 are favorites of mine on the Master System.

Montezuma's Revenge is great too, as is Scramble Spirits.

I generally go back to Alex Kidd in Shinobi World and Psycho Fox though.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
I think you might be exaggerating just a little

The games are certainly not masterpieces, but in terms of graphics and animation they show off what the system can do. I was very surprised when I first saw them because the only experience I previously had with the system was with a small amount of early titles. So in comparison to what I was familiar with it did really surprised me. Was there a bit of exaggeration in my original post? Yes. Forgive a bit of my SMS hype :D. I'm just glad to see it getting some love.

famicommander

Tak enabled this rank change
15 Year Member
I've been playing The Flash, based on the TV show starring John Wesley Shipp and Mark Hamill.

It's pretty difficult but it's not bad. Nice graphics. Flash can be a bit hard to control but he has a cool power set.

3rdStrikeMike

Dodgeball Yakuza
10 Year Member
This was uploaded today and seems to fit the graphics discussion on this thread pretty well. I really like Sega Lord X's content and thought I would share it.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
The games are certainly not masterpieces, but in terms of graphics and animation they show off what the system can do. I was very surprised when I first saw them because the only experience I previously had with the system was with a small amount of early titles. So in comparison to what I was familiar with it did really surprised me. Was there a bit of exaggeration in my original post? Yes. Forgive a bit of my SMS hype :D. I'm just glad to see it getting some love.

All good bruv. I get hyped all the time.
Can't stand Sega x lord much. His content is ok. But what the fuck is he putting on that weird voice for, and some of the stuff he sais is just weird

Hattori Hanzo

AEShole
1 Year Member
Video was ok. He is right NewZealand Story is a great port but sadly it doesn't run properly on 60Hz.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I like Sega Lord X

He's not the best retro gaming host on the block, but he is genuinely passionate about games and stays on subject. He's at least on par with the guy who does Turbo Views, IMO.

c0nn0r

If I could have, My time back, I'd keep it in ma'
10 Year Member
I like Sega Lord X

He's not the best retro gaming host on the block, but he is genuinely passionate about games and stays on subject. He's at least on par with the guy who does Turbo Views, IMO.

Chris Bucci has no peers.

SEGA Lord X is ok, but he's a hypocrite. Anyone remember when he deleted his first channel because he.... spoke.... like.... this.... for.... some..... weird..... reason....

I remember a video SLX did where he called out other channels that had advertising... Guess what happened next on his channel?

I like that he's around, and I waych about 1 out of every 20 of his videos. They are fin if you like watching emulation, shitty gameplay, and inaccurate commentary. I do love the subject matter though, so that's what keeps me coming back - albeit reluctantly.

Chris Bucci on the other hand.... He's an OG that has stayed true to the NEC stuff for over 10 years.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Not planning to buy the console again but if I did, I'd make sure to get a model 1 for the RGB port which the model 2 doesn't have. It's possible to mod the model 2 to output RGB but it takes some soldering and I'm not very good at that.

Just in case you didn't knew, an official RGB Master System 2 exists. I had more than one. Obviously, it's a french model.

You just have to cut one chip leg to make it fully 60Hz and it's good to go!

SMS2 FRA.jpg

It doesn't even come with an RF modulator, which is top in my book 8)

Last edited:

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
I don't know who any of these guys are.
Lord Karnage was pretty brilliant, maybe some others from back then I don't remember who they where.
Lord X is just very rustic, slightly deluded.
Amongst the ones that do this stuff these days, so many are comedians, some pull it off, Woz the Scott is one of these. It's different to what Sega Lord X represents, but at least he's pretty intelligent and stuff.

DevilRedeemed

teh
20 Year Member
There used to be this English guy who'd do vids on saturn shooters. Can't remember his name but he was pretty great, he'd have some other guy (or himself) playing the part of a dude with the voice distorted making silly comments.

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Just in case you didn't knew, an official RGB Master System 2 exists. I had more than one. Obviously, it's a french model.

You just have to cut one chip leg to make it fully 60Hz and it's good to go!

View attachment 55928

It doesn't even come with an RF modulator, which is top in my book 8)

Nice, didn't know that, thanks. I'm good with my SMS adaptor, tho, and I've promised myself not to buy another console again... :)

Inspired by this thread, I've been playing lots of SMS stuff in the past two weeks. Currently I'm struggling with R-Type, which is a rather nice version of the arcade game. It has slow-downs and sprite flicker but it's not too bad, looks and plays great overall.

I've also been wrestling with Sagaia (Gradius II) and Rambo - First Blood Pt. II, both balls-hard games. So good.

Atro

Who?,
20 Year Member
Nice, didn't know that, thanks. I'm good with my SMS adaptor, tho, and I've promised myself not to buy another console again... :)

Inspired by this thread, I've been playing lots of SMS stuff in the past two weeks. Currently I'm struggling with R-Type, which is a rather nice version of the arcade game. It has slow-downs and sprite flicker but it's not too bad, looks and plays great overall.

I've also been wrestling with Sagaia (Gradius II) and Rambo - First Blood Pt. II, both balls-hard games. So good.

Sagaia would be more of a Darius II tho :)

I like that version of R-Type a lot. The exclusive hidden extra stage is gorgeous visually and sound wise.

I remember the first time I played R-Type in the arcades, I tried to go to that stage and obviously died.There was no Internet to tell me not to. :tickled:

Takumaji

Master Enabler
Staff member
Sagaia would be more of a Darius II tho :)

I like that version of R-Type a lot. The exclusive hidden extra stage is gorgeous visually and sound wise.

I remember the first time I played R-Type in the arcades, I tried to go to that stage and obviously died.There was no Internet to tell me not to. :tickled:

Yeah, Darius II it is, I always mix up the two.

R-Type on the Master System is my fave port. I've played the Amiga version (Katakis) and other ports on various computers but I always come back to the SMS one, it looks good and is very playable.

Apparently there are a lot of things missing in the SMS port of Darius II but I don't really mind, I also have the game on Taito Memories for PS2 so I could always play the original but as with R-Type, the SMS version is very accessible and a blast to play, specially with my MD arcade stick, makes dodging those bullets so much easier.