Screw the Wii

JHendrix

Jello Pudding Pop, Y'know? Like that whole Bill C
I just wanted to relay my own personal story with the Wii this holiday season.

I didn't want to get the Wii, I played my friends unit on multiple occasions, trying Wii Sports and Zelda, and I didn't think it was worth it. I wanted to play Zelda, but with enough games to keep me occupied for the immediate future (Gears of War, FFXII) I didn't see a need to rush out and get a Wii.

My wife on the other hand, did. And so I had to try and get a Wii. On one hand, I was sort of happy about it. I did want to play Zelda and Wii sports was somewhat fun, just not fun enough to make ME personally go out and say "WOW I NEED THIS".

I tried my damnedest to nail one. Last Sunday was the straw that broke the camels back. My friend (who works at Gamestop) told me about the store holding Wii's to sell till Sunday. Get there early, no one knows, and get a Wii.

Every Gamestop, EB, and Circuit City within about 20 miles had people lined up. I hit every non-mall EB and Gamestop that I could early sunday morning, almost all of them had people lined up outside to get the Wii (most of whom slept there overnight to get their spot in line). At least the stores were nice enough to put up signs that said "We only have Six Systems, don't bother camping if you're #7 in line".

Broken and disheartened (and seriously pissed off that we couldn't find a system that should be easy as hell to manufacture, unlike a PS3) we continued throughout the day hanging out with our friends like any other Sunday. A friend brought his copy of Zelda for GC. I played some of it and I can say this with 100% honesty: I liked the controls better on the GameCube version. And I've played the Wii Zelda more times than I have the GC version.

After some discussion my wife and I decided that we're getting the GC version of Zelda because of the controls.

That left a really big question of why we'd be getting the Wii. Wii Sports was the only other thing remotely interesting to us, and we both didn't think it was worth the $250 + $60 for more controllers.

So now I'm not buying a Wii till they put something out on it that I think makes the system worth owning (possibly Mario or Smash Bros, but I'm trying before I buy). Problem is with the release list being the way it is, it doesn't look like I'll be getting one any time soon.

On the plus side, I managed to snag a copy of GC Zelda:TP yesterday in an incredible find as every normal store you'd go to for the game has been sold out. Seems like another hearty middle finger from Nintendo. When stuff like Halo 2 or Madden comes out it's not impossible to find copies of the game. Big Sellers like that generally get a lot of games produced. But what do I see in stores? No Wii's, but plenty of Wii Zelda's and no GC Zeldas. In fact from every friend and employee I've talked to from Gamestop and EB tells me that they didn't even get enough GC Zeldas to fill their pre-orders.

I'm not one to attribute to malice what can adequately be explained by stupidity, but I'll be damned if it doesn't look like Nintendo purposefully made the GC Zelda a little scarce around XMas in order to help ensure that the Wii gets sold.

So in the end, screw the Wii. I'll be having a Merry XMas with my 360 and a GC copy of Twilight Princess. The saddest part in my opinion was that if I could have found a Wii between Launch and Last Sunday, I'd have bought one. As it is now, I'm not going to be getting one for a good long time.

And that's assuming that Nintendo manages to make Mario and Smash Brothers worth playing with the Wii controller, which IMO they didn't do with Zelda.

Last edited:

themisterfalcon

Buriki-One Fight Promoter
15 Year Member
That's exactly how I feel.

Gave up on the "hunt" - it's bullshit to have to fight, rape and pillage for a video game system.

Zelda was the selling point for me. After I got it for GCN I said "wow is bowling (for me and my girl) worth $250+$60??!?". Absolutely not.

I too hope Mario Galaxy and some other really really really great titles come out. We most likely won't be picking a Wii up until late Jan./Feb., until you can go into a store on normal circumstances and buy one.

Average Joe

Be water, my friend.
20 Year Member
Did I already make a post saying that the Wii kicks ass?

Because it does.

Kick ass that is.

galfordo

Analinguist of the Year
15 Year Member
Jesus, Hendrix - just relax, man.

Broken and disheartened??? It's just a video game system - it'll be there waiting for you after Christmas.

Personally, even though getting a Wii is a giant pain in the ass (or so I'm told), I'm glad to see Nintendo doing so well this round. I think it's good for gaming.

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
Bummer that you couldnt get one. I had no clue it was gonna be so popular. I am glad I got mine and I love it.

"It should be easy to manufacture" - It IS easy to manufacture. This time it isn't a supply issue- it's a demand issue.

Ghost-Dog

Presented by the Florida Department of Economic Op
20 Year Member
I foresaw this, which is why I slept on Target's sidewalk on November 18th. At the time I felt stupid, but I was there with a friend, and all the Nintendo fans in line were hella cool. I got somewhat sick from sleeping outdoors in a camping chair with nothing but a sleeping bag and a towel wrapped around my head in 40 degree weather, but I got my system.

I knew that once the system launched in November, people were going to play it and the word of mouth would spread, and now a shitload of people want one. Nintendo has made plenty of systems, the demand is just higher right now. Hell the demand for Wii's is higher than the demand for PS3 from what I've been hearing.

So you're pissed that you couldn't just go out and buy one the week before Christmas? Lol.. Hendrix, be realistic please. Hell, DS systems are sold out in 90% of stores and they've had millions of them manufactured this year. Because it's the week before Christmas. Lots of shit is sold out this time of year.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
I've been trying to find a reason to want one, but so far the only reason for me is Bomberman '93. I'm not a Zelda fan, and have to interest in playing games by waving my arms about.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Average Joe said:

Because it does.

Kick ass that is.

This is true.

If I wouldn't have found a Wii, I would have probably tried to tell myself that there was nothing worth playing on it as well.

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
Yeah, don't blame Nintendo, they're new to the business and haven't figured out how to guage demand for new hardware yet. ;)

My first "Wii experience" was pretty positive, but it's not worth the money right now. A lot of potential, but at this point it's a bunch of (fun) minigames and a Gamecube port. As usual, I think I'll wait to see how Mario turns out (unless there's a great, great baseball game on the way)

Nick Goracke

I'm still around!?,
GD said:
Hell, DS systems are sold out in 90% of stores and they've had millions of them manufactured this year. Because it's the week before Christmas. Lots of shit is sold out this time of year.

This is actually a pretty fair point. I picked up a DS Lite for a friend back in Japan a few weeks ago for a Christmas present... and I'm glad I didn't wait. I haven't checked anywhere else, but the store I bought it from is out of DS Lite systems

JHendrix

galfordo said:
Jesus, Hendrix - just relax, man.

Broken and disheartened??? It's just a video game system - it'll be there waiting for you after Christmas.

Personally, even though getting a Wii is a giant pain in the ass (or so I'm told), I'm glad to see Nintendo doing so well this round. I think it's good for gaming.

I felt that way because my wife wanted it. Mainly because we wanted Zelda, badly. And at the time getting the Wii version of Zelda looked like it was going to be a lot easier than getting the GC version, which we had no idea that we'd like that version more at that point in time.

It's really because the whole feeling of "Hey my wife really wants this for XMas, and I can't get it for her when I was supposed to be able to snag one".

This isn't a case of rationalizing not buying a Wii because I can't get one. I have the GC Zelda now and I like that version better because of the controls. You could offer to sell me a Wii at retail price right now and I'd say no.

It's just not worth it since I already have a better version of Zelda.

@Jet - Demand-shemand. There is no supply issue, they saw that things were going through the roof they should be building tons of these things.

Baseley09

Hair Group,
jethrek said:
"It should be easy to manufacture" - It IS easy to manufacture. This time it isn't a supply issue- it's a demand issue.

Its a good sign that there are loads of Wiis in circulation and every one of them are being bought........tru its a shame for those who miss out.

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
Average Joe said:

Because it does.

Kick ass that is.

AJ FTW.

I love mine, slow progress of the VC be damned. The Sports and Zelda are just a hell of a lot of fun. Two-player boxing is fun for everyone in the room (playing or watching.)

Galfordo is also right (that's some shit I don't type often) when he says Nintendo doing well is good for the industry. I still sincerely hope developers actually take advantage of the Wii controller and come up with some freaky new ways of using it that are fun. Guess we'll see.

Bishamon

Azu Bla, ,
Gameoz said:
If I wouldn't have found a Wii, I would have probably tried to tell myself that there was nothing worth playing on it as well.

I know the manager at the local EB, and he actually offered me one that had come in, but I had to turn it down. I really want to want it, if that makes sense. I enjoy technology, and new consoles in particular; it doesn't usually take much for me to buy one. Unfortunately, the whole Wii controller thing really turns me off; I would prefer to just use the clasic controller for everything, but someone told me you can't play games like Wii Sports and others using the normal controller (is that true?). I'm also not really of fan of Nintendo games since they went 3D (don't ask me why, but I just don't enjoy them).

I might still end up buying one if/when the entire SNES Bomberman collection is available for the virtual console, since I LOVE bomberman, and those will be playable without arm-waving. :)

JHendrix

Loopz said:
AJ FTW.

I love mine, slow progress of the VC be damned. The Sports and Zelda are just a hell of a lot of fun. Two-player boxing is fun for everyone in the room (playing or watching.)

Galfordo is also right (that's some shit I don't type often) when he says Nintendo doing well is good for the industry. I still sincerely hope developers actually take advantage of the Wii controller and come up with some freaky new ways of using it that are fun. Guess we'll see.

I still think Nintendo will come in dead last again, but they don't really compete anymore so it's a moot point. Honestly though that's a theory and not a wish. I love my DS, and I love Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc). But with what I've seen so far I'm not 100% sold. The driving force behind me getting a Wii was to play Zelda since that was "the way it was supposed to be played". Once I played the GC version with normal controls, I realized immediately how much more I preferred it. I'm sorry but Zelda with normal controls is just way way more fun for me. And I put at least two hours into the Wii version trying my damnedest to like the new scheme.

Boxing was fun, Bowling was fun, so was tennis. Baseball was good. Not $250+$60 good, but decent.

Red Steel (and I think any FPS game using that scheme) blew ass. I want to play a FPS, not a light gun game.

I almost feel bad saying it because the Wii is supposed to be innovative, and it is in some ways, but a lot of games just don't work well this way. With the 360 as popular as it is now and with the assumed dominance of Sony (I don't want it to happen, but at least I can see why it might), I just see a repeat of last generation with 3rd party devs making great games for Sony and MS's machines that use normal controls and the Wii staying in "gimmick land" with a few games that really work the way Nintendo envisions.

We'll see if Zelda is a fluke and Nintendo can make Mario Galaxy work on the Wii. Lord knows I could go for a serious new Mario game.

NeoSneth

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
20 Year Member
everyone in the back of their mind knows the Wii may have issues with longevity. After the dust settles, will the wii still be fun?

I dont know...

you dont know...

i have one, and i am not sorry about it.....
I still want an HD system tho.....

MilkManX

I Love Frames!,
JHendrix said:
I still think Nintendo will come in dead last again, but they don't really compete anymore so it's a moot point. Honestly though that's a theory and not a wish. I love my DS, and I love Nintendo games (Zelda, Mario, Smash Bros, etc). But with what I've seen so far I'm not 100% sold. The driving force behind me getting a Wii was to play Zelda since that was "the way it was supposed to be played". Once I played the GC version with normal controls, I realized immediately how much more I preferred it. I'm sorry but Zelda with normal controls is just way way more fun for me. And I put at least two hours into the Wii version trying my damnedest to like the new scheme.

Boxing was fun, Bowling was fun, so was tennis. Baseball was good. Not $250+$60 good, but decent.

Red Steel (and I think any FPS game using that scheme) blew ass. I want to play a FPS, not a light gun game.

I almost feel bad saying it because the Wii is supposed to be innovative, and it is in some ways, but a lot of games just don't work well this way. With the 360 as popular as it is now and with the assumed dominance of Sony (I don't want it to happen, but at least I can see why it might), I just see a repeat of last generation with 3rd party devs making great games for Sony and MS's machines that use normal controls and the Wii staying in "gimmick land" with a few games that really work the way Nintendo envisions.

We'll see if Zelda is a fluke and Nintendo can make Mario Galaxy work on the Wii. Lord knows I could go for a serious new Mario game.

Man not me. After Wii Zelda its hard for me to play Windwaker on the GCN. The AIming with the Wiimote for the Bow/Slingshot/other items far surpasses the old method.

Gameoz

Crossed Swords Knight
15 Year Member
Bishamon said:
I know the manager at the local EB, and he actually offered me one that had come in, but I had to turn it down. I really want to want it, if that makes sense. I enjoy technology, and new consoles in particular; it doesn't usually take much for me to buy one. Unfortunately, the whole Wii controller thing really turns me off; I would prefer to just use the clasic controller for everything, but someone told me you can't play games like Wii Sports and others using the normal controller (is that true?). I'm also not really of fan of Nintendo games since they went 3D (don't ask me why, but I just don't enjoy them).

I might still end up buying one if/when the entire SNES Bomberman collection is available for the virtual console, since I LOVE bomberman, and those will be playable without arm-waving. :)

Well Wii Sports is a game to show off the Wii/wiimote IMO.

However, Super Swing Golf allows you to use the wiimote like a golf club (such as in Wii Golf) or use buttons as you would like in Hot Shots Golf. I only use the buttons when playing Super Swing Golf and I have really enjoyed it.

Some of the other games are driving games, so they use the wiimote as a steering wheel, which again, works really well.

So, the Wii will not be for everyone but there are enough games out right now to easily justify a purchase. (If you can find one)

JHendrix

MilkManX said:
Man not me. After Wii Zelda its hard for me to play Windwaker on the GCN. The AIming with the Wiimote for the Bow/Slingshot/other items far surpasses the old method.

I know you are, but it's near impossible for me to think you're serious.

When I was playing with it, I had problems where I wasn't so much pointing where I wanted the shot to go on screen, it was more like I saw where the pointer was and I moved the Wiimote in relation to where I wanted the shot to go. There was very little of "point here, shoot here" which I just kind of found disorienting.

And I did move the sensor bar from on top of the TV to the bottom, had no effect.

As far as general controls for the sword and everything (which there is far more of) I find the GC version to be immensely better.

I'm honestly trying to be objective as possible. Once I played the GC version after spending some time with the Wii one, I was immediately like "Oh this is the version I'm getting".

Loopz

Formerly Punjab,
JHendrix said:

I think you're ignoring the fiscal end of things.
Wii is really cheap to develop for. The 360 and PS3 aren't. This is why you see more and more titles that would have been exclusives last generation coming to both, ala VF5.
The Wii has also generated more consumer heat this Christmas than the GameCube ever, ever did. Even right when it was released, I can't ever remember a time when you couldn't find a Cube in a store. Not only that, but you have a lot of people interested in it who never cared much about consoles at all.
Did anyone here imagine that Wiis would be harder to get than PS3s a month ago? Fuck no. There's some definite change in the wind as far as this industry is concerned. The third parties are seriously doubting both the high price of Sony's console and their ability to crank them out consistently. It seems to me like both the VF5 and DQIX announcements are somehwat in response to the badly botched launch of PS3.

You have one machine that offers a genuinely new experience for a lot of people, one that has sharp graphics and unrivaled online service, and another that costs the most and plays really expensive movies.

JHendrix

Loopz said:
I think you're ignoring the fiscal end of things.
Wii is really cheap to develop for. The 360 and PS3 aren't. This is why you see more and more titles that would have been exclusives last generation coming to both, ala VF5.
The Wii has also generated more consumer heat this Christmas than the GameCube ever, ever did. Even right when it was released, I can't ever remember a time when you couldn't find a Cube in a store. Not only that, but you have a lot of people interested in it who never cared much about consoles at all.
Did anyone here imagine that Wiis would be harder to get than PS3s a month ago? Fuck no. There's some definite change in the wind as far as this industry is concerned. The third parties are seriously doubting both the high price of Sony's console and their ability to crank them out consistently. It seems to me like both the VF5 and DQIX announcements are somehwat in response to the badly botched launch of PS3.

You have one machine that offers a genuinely new experience for a lot of people, one that has sharp graphics and unrivaled online service, and another that costs the most and plays really expensive movies.

Hey if it were up to me I'd wish the order for this gen was MS, Nintendo, and Sony dead last.

We'll see how things go after XMas. Right now there seem to be less Wii's in production than there were GC's when it launched. The Nintendo Fanboi's are not being serviced fast enough is the reason I see for the Wii being so scarce.

From what I can see most of the time from talking to kids (I do a lot of work at my church with the youth) they're all interested in the 360 or PS3. No one really is keen on the Wii.

You guys can go on and on about innovation but games like Madden & Halo are what rule the market these days in the US.

EDIT:
I don't deny the fiscal end of things. I think it's great that there is parity between the PS3 and 360. It makes sense when games are developed for those systems, since it takes so much to get them to look that good.

The Wii is very unimpressive Graphics Wise, even on a SDTV compared to the 360 or PS3, let alone an HDTV. Graphics drive the industry.

How well is Madden doing on the Wii. How well does it control? That right there will be your indicator of how things will shape up in the next gen. Some traditional games do not work well on the Wii (and that includes FPS games). These games are not going away by the sheer virtue of the 360 and PS3 being "traditional" consoles.

Last edited:
JHendrix said:
I felt that way because my wife wanted it. Mainly because we wanted Zelda, badly. And at the time getting the Wii version of Zelda looked like it was going to be a lot easier than getting the GC version, which we had no idea that we'd like that version more at that point in time.

It's really because the whole feeling of "Hey my wife really wants this for XMas, and I can't get it for her when I was supposed to be able to snag one".

This isn't a case of rationalizing not buying a Wii because I can't get one. I have the GC Zelda now and I like that version better because of the controls. You could offer to sell me a Wii at retail price right now and I'd say no.

It's just not worth it since I already have a better version of Zelda.

I'm pretty sure there are a ton more Wiis out thnan there were GC's. Let's fae it, the GC launch was quiet.

@Jet - Demand-shemand. There is no supply issue, they saw that things were going through the roof they should be building tons of these things.
There are more consoles available within a month of the Wii launch than for any console ever. Sure, all these launches should be easier to get a console, but it can't be said Nintendo didn't put in a good showing.

Last edited:

Magnaflux

Onigami Isle Castaway
20 Year Member
Just out of curiousity, did Hendrix pay $700+ for a PS3? :p