SCREW ATTACK does GAROU:MoTW

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
Deuce, Street Fighter III Third Strike also came out on the Playstation 2 and Xbox as part of the Street Fighter Anniversary Collection (which also had Hyper Street Fighter II). The Xbox version even had online play.

the Ps2 version didn´t have Third Strike. i have that version.i own the Pal version tough...

and you are right when you say that there were few Metal Slug 4,5 and 6 cabs. Here in Portugal there were none. But those games came out on the Ps2 and xbox. also has part of the Anthology (again on) Ps2,Xbox, Wii and PSP.

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
the Ps2 version didn´t have Third Strike. i have that version.i own the Pal version tough...

LOL, Europe.
:lol:

J/K. Capcom shorted you guys for whatever reason. The American version has 3rd Strike. I wasn't even aware that SFAC was even released in Europe; I thought it was just Hyper Street Fighter II (under that name), same as Japan; Hyper came out there first at the end of 2003, 3rd Strike came out in summer 2004, and then in 2005 the U.S. got SFAC with both games on one disc.

and you are right when you say that there were few Metal Slug 4,5 and 6 cabs. Here in Portugal there were none. But those games came out on the Ps2 and xbox. also has part of the Anthology (again on) Ps2,Xbox, Wii and PSP.

I am quite aware they did. But did any of those collections sell that well? Drawing from my own experiences working at a game store from 1996-2005, I can tell you without a doubt that Street Fighter III was a far more popular title (Double Impact, 3rd Strike, and SFAC) than any of the Metal Slug games. They always sold better (or sold out) and were always in demand. The name "Street Fighter" is far more recognizable than "Metal Slug" ever will be.

Last edited:

bcfczulu

Over Top Auto Mechanic
yep,we aways get fucked over in europe!!!

i realy wanted blaze blue but it wasnt released.:very_ang:

Professor Denim

Atro Ego
LOL, Europe.
:lol:

J/K. Capcom shorted you guys for whatever reason. The American version has 3rd Strike. I wasn't even aware that SFAC was even released in Europe; I thought it was just Hyper Street Fighter II (under that name), same as Japan; Hyper came out there first at the end of 2003, 3rd Strike came out in summer 2004, and then in 2005 the U.S. got SFAC with both games on one disc.

sorry man,my mistake.just checked my games... what i do have is Hyper Street fighter 2 - The anniversary edition. it comes with Anime etc..
i think SFAC never got released in Europe.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
Street Fighter AC (with 3s) came out for xbox in europe but not the PS2.

perl2000

n00b
The developer of BlazBlu has got a pan-European publisher deal now I think. It's getting released in Germany as well.

However, I think most ppl have already bought the import version.

OrochiEddie

Kobaïa Is De Hündïn
20 Year Member
Third Strike wasn't popular until the Japanese came over and trounced EVO some years back. No one got into originally because
1) There were only 4 classic characters (not that I mind)
2) No one was playing 2d fighters anymore, it was all Soul Cal and DAT TEKKEN
3) Sprites weren't popular, no matter how pretty (and SF3 was gorgeous)
4) Arcades weren't popular in the states anymore

MOTW had it worse because SNK fighters were already niche in the U.S. and to do a reboot of a niche series going with the Japanese title was a bit of a shot in the foot. If it was "Fatal Fury: Mark of the Wolves" I bet it would have helped a bit, but then people would only see Terry and not even classic Terry and be further bummed out.

The funny thing about people who complain how the new titles didn't have their beloved characters is that both TS and MOTW had spritual succesors to all the beloved classics, especially MOTW, Kim, Ryo, Big Bear (not as much), and I think some others were essentially in the game in one form or the other.

SMMM

Not so MEGA, eh?
The funny thing about people who complain how the new titles didn't have their beloved characters is that both TS and MOTW had spritual succesors to all the beloved classics, especially MOTW, Kim, Ryo, Big Bear (not as much), and I think some others were essentially in the game in one form or the other.

A couple were hybrids - which was cool because it usually made sense. Rock is a Terry/Geese mix. Hoku was a Andy/Mai mix.

ECZangief

The Real Al Bundy
Here's a question-- if the Angry VG Nerd did a SNK game, what would it be? What are the notorious SNKP stinkers?

I always thought the 1st person shooter/punching game was a little slow and clumsy/

Burnsro

Rugal's Thug
Here's a question-- if the Angry VG Nerd did a SNK game, what would it be? What are the notorious SNKP stinkers?

I always thought the 1st person shooter/punching game was a little slow and clumsy/

Legend of Success Joe

Now I have a question. How is the XBLA version of Garou:MoTW?

alec

Hardcore Neoholic
15 Year Member
SNK really did crap to promote their games. No arcades around me had MOTW, there were a handfull of 3rd Strike cabinets though. They didn't get much play.

I'm embarrassed to say I'd actually never heard about Mark of the Wolves til 2001 when Capcom SNK 2 hit the arcades and I said, "Hey, who the hell is Rock Howard?" Nobody knew, I had to look that shit up online. I was super tempted to import the Dreamcast game, but $70 seemed kinda steep for a game I never played. Eventually the USA version came out for $30 and I picked it up right away.

Bitchin' game! Cool video.

complexz

Rosa's Tag-Tea,
I've actually never seen mark of the wolves in a arcade in my life. it's one reason i have no real attachment to the game despite being a huge fatal fury fan. Don't get me wrong its a amazing game. But the lack of nostalgia and complete lack of competition puts it low on my MVS games to buy list.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
I had no idea about Garou until a few years ago.

There were seriously like no ads for the games.

Neo Games were NOT promoted at ALL.

Third strike, my friends and I played that all the time.

Europe DID get 3S on XBox and PS2 - but it was sold seperate from the Hyper SF2 colleciton.

Japan got the same deal as Europe on that. Seperate games.

America got a badass combo package for budget price :D

Neo Games, especially after the mid 90s, weren't really talked about in the gaming press. And I've never seen Garou in arcades. All I seen in the Neo's are Blazing Star, Metal Slug, SVC, Puzzle Bobble, and various KOF.

Setherial

Metal Slug Mechanic
10 Year Member
Glad to see I wasn't the only one who didn't know there even was Garou untill a few years back.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
I think the first time I'd see MOTW on a printed VG mag in the US was from an ad of a used game store, listing the amount they would purchase the used game for.

FormlessOne

Chin's Drinking Partner
I remember scooping up the Dreamcast port for $50 because it was the only one I could find. I don't regret it. Fighting games are my favorite genre, even though I've never been one to learn all the moves. So to have a game like that was awesome. But no one ever wanted to play it with me.

Although the video was short, I'm surprised it didn't make any mention of the Dreamcast version. Until the Xbox Live release I'm sure that would have been the most accessible version for most people, at least thats how I know of the game, through Dreamcast collecting.

Lee Gray

Better Than Krauser
20 Year Member
I only ever played 3RD strike once in the arcades in Trocodero london when it was sega world but looking at some clips on youtube it looks pretty decent, i enjoyed this mini review of Garou though

LordG_9

Marked Wolf
Legend of Success Joe

Now I have a question. How is the XBLA version of Garou:MoTW?

It'z str8.i don't care for the 4:3 A/R but it has pretty cool art work to make up for it.I would like to one day own the mvs cart for my cmvs.