Samsho 2 MVS not working

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
So like the title says, my copy of Samurai Shodown 2 MVS is not working, I tried popping the cart open and cleaning the contacts, nothing I just get the crosshatch screen on my 4 slot with it as the only game, one odd occurrence was that when I had Samsho 3 in slot 2 samsho 2 in slot 3 and metal slug in slot 4 the system only picked up samsho 3, when pressing the switch game button metal slug wouldn't come up, I removed the samsho 2 cart and then it picked up metal slug, which makes it seem like the samsho 2 cart could be deffective or something, any ideas guys?

wyo

King of Spammers
10 Year Member
Clean thoroughly with something a little abrasive if the cart doesn't insert smoothly. Test the cart in another MVS. It's more likely to be your 4-slot than the cart. They tend to be more picky with less than pristine carts. Check your PSU voltage as well.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
my only other MVS is faulty, every other game I throw at this MVS has worked flawlessly, granted thats only about 13 games but still, and it inserts fine, theres also no visible gunk or anything on the contacts, I'm at a complete loss

I'll try tweaking the PSU what should it ideally be set at?

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
I'll try tweaking the PSU what should it ideally be set at?

For an MVS, the voltage should read about 5.08V with the MVS working normally. Also if your cart only shows crosshatch, the likely culprit (assuming you have cleaned it throughly) is the P chip, or maybe a broken trace. If the P chip, try replacing it with an EPROM.

Regards.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
For an MVS, the voltage should read about 5.08V with the MVS working normally. Also if your cart only shows crosshatch, the likely culprit (assuming you have cleaned it throughly) is the P chip, or maybe a broken trace. If the P chip, try replacing it with an EPROM.

Regards.

The traces look clean, I'd like to give replacing the P chip a try, where should I start?

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member
Did it ever work?
I know it's a small chance but are the boards in wrong? Can you try the game without the shell and only insert the 2 game boards into the mobo?

Liquid Snake

I am untouchable
20 Year Member
When was your last time playing SS2?

I always get crosshatch when i bought mvs games from ebay; even i clean them thoroughly.
You have to insert cart few times and then it works like charm!!!

Check voltage and also your 4-slot.......like others said

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
The traces look clean, I'd like to give replacing the P chip a try, where should I start?

You would need to desolder the existing P1 chip, then either burn a new one or get someone here to do so if you don't own an EPROM programmer. Although of course there's still the possibility something else is wrong and you'd be wasting your time/money. Given the fact it's a relatively common cart it might be easier to just post a WTB ad here and then selling the cart off to someone.

aha2940

AH, A, COLUMBIAN!,
IIRC I have an SS2 P rom chip somewhere on my scrap pile. If so, I can test it and send it your way if you want it, just pay shipping. And yes, I am in Colombia for real.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
Neuroticmouse,

I cleaned your contacts, they were still dirty (there are three pins that are slightly what I'll call cracking, as if corrosion is kicking in), however I was able to play the game without any issues after cleaning it. I have a MV-1F and an Omega CMVS. I played through three rounds just now (just got it about an hour ago from the mailbox). Do you want me to keep your boards and send you my boards in return (no eproms, all mask roms). From your posts, it looks like it could be your MVS 4-slot as well.

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
Sometimes on a 4 slotter you need to change the order of the games...

I usually arrange in order of meg count.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
Neuroticmouse,

I cleaned your contacts, they were still dirty (there are three pins that are slightly what I'll call cracking, as if corrosion is kicking in), however I was able to play the game without any issues after cleaning it. I have a MV-1F and an Omega CMVS. I played through three rounds just now (just got it about an hour ago from the mailbox). Do you want me to keep your boards and send you my boards in return (no eproms, all mask roms). From your posts, it looks like it could be your MVS 4-slot as well.

I feel like an idiot because the most recent game I got also needed a thorough cleaning g and I feel like I didn't clean the samsho cart enough, you can send the board I sent back, just pm me what the shipping cost is, thanks, I'll chock this up to a learning experience :)

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
If you only used alcohol (which this sounds like) you should try a good contact cleaner next time (like DeoxIT D5), they help a lot with corrosion and stuff.

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
I use a metal cleaner which was suggested for use on NES pins. I'll have to look up the name, but it cleans AES and MVS boards really well. I use alcohol to remove any potential residue that might be left over. I'll mail your stuff back to you Friday.

NeuroticMoose

Super Spy Agent
If you only used alcohol (which this sounds like) you should try a good contact cleaner next time (like DeoxIT D5), they help a lot with corrosion and stuff.

I'll be sure to look into that, thanks for the tip

I use a metal cleaner which was suggested for use on NES pins. I'll have to look up the name, but it cleans AES and MVS boards really well. I use alcohol to remove any potential residue that might be left over. I'll mail your stuff back to you Friday.

sounds good, remember to pm me how much shipping ends up costing and I'll send the funds via paypal

Last edited:

wyndcrosser

Baseball Star Hitter
10 Year Member
It cost the same as you spent. I'll PM the details soon.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

Brasso? I use that on my Famicom carts and it cleans them up great.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
Whenever I clean carts, I usually take the case apart, use a white eraser, then finish with contact cleaner/rubbing alcohol.

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Doesn't Brasso strip/wear down the material of the connectors? If so, using it would not be the best idea...

daithidownunder

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
It sounds simple but at times by not pushing the cart all the way down this can work on the 4 slots if it's having trouble reading the cart.

Sent from my HTC_0PJA10 using Tapatalk