Rumor: Ignition Entertainment Giving Up On SNKP? Atlus USA To Take Over?

Lyte Edge

Quartermaster,
A lot of people hate this company, but I genuinely love the job they did with KOF 98UM.

Not sure if you mean SNK or Ignition (on their localization), but if it's the former, it's just been KOF XII and Sen that have been the huge disappointments (And pure shit in Sen's case). The first few "Playmore" titles had their ups and downs, but I found plenty of fun in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Tenka, KOF XI, Maximum Impact 2, Metsal Slug 6, Regulation A, KOF '98 UM, and KOF 2002 UM. Prior to Sen, the worst game from them was Metal Slug 3D. Two complete turds and one huge disappointment sucks, but it's still not too bad a track record, IMO. What I want them to improve on more than anything is the online play in their games.

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Not sure if you mean SNK or Ignition (on their localization), but if it's the former, it's just been KOF XII and Sen that have been the huge disappointments (And pure shit in Sen's case). The first few "Playmore" titles had their ups and downs, but I found plenty of fun in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Tenka, KOF XI, Maximum Impact 2, Metsal Slug 6, Regulation A, KOF '98 UM, and KOF 2002 UM. Prior to Sen, the worst game from them was Metal Slug 3D. Two complete turds and one huge disappointment sucks, but it's still not too bad a track record, IMO. What I want them to improve on more than anything is the online play in their games.

A good chunk of releases were solid. I actually loved the compilations, especially since I own most of those games via neo formats. It was nice to have arcade true ports I could transport locally. Sad what happened with KOF XII and the more recent 'we give up' releases.

Why are some people talking about this as if Atlus would own SNKP or have any control over SNKP IPs? This is only about distribution.

That is just speculation on my part (mixed with a little wishful thinking). Atlus would be a better, if not the best, U.S. distributor that SNKP's ever had (even better than SNKP USA, which, quite frankly, isn't really saying much). Atlus USA may ONLY be handling Metal Slug XX, but until KOF XIII debuts or KOF '02 UM lands stateside for the PS2, it's still a toss-up as to who holds SNKP's rights in America.

Not sure if you mean SNK or Ignition (on their localization), but if it's the former, it's just been KOF XII and Sen that have been the huge disappointments (And pure shit in Sen's case). The first few "Playmore" titles had their ups and downs, but I found plenty of fun in NeoGeo Battle Coliseum, Tenka, KOF XI, Maximum Impact 2, Metal Slug 6, Regulation A, KOF '98 UM, and KOF 2002 UM. Prior to Sen, the worst game from them was Metal Slug 3D. Two complete turds and one huge disappointment sucks, but it's still not too bad a track record, IMO. What I want them to improve on more than anything is the online play in their games.

If there's one pattern I've noticed about SNKP, it's that they tend to screw up royally on the first go-round, but manage to get it right on the second go-round. Examples include KOF '01-KOF '02, Metal Slug 4-MS5, Samurai Shodown V-SSV Special, KOF: Maximum Impact 1-MI2, and even (arguably) SVC Chaos-Neo Geo Battle Coliseum (I also would've said ROTD-Matrimelee, but that falls under Noise Factory's dominion). The sad thing is that SNKP usually doesn't get a second chance to make a first impression in the U.S. (I'm not sure what the sales of SNKP's titles are, but I'd imagine that none of them were ever huge sellers.)

Right now, the fact that SNKP has usually bounced back from bad first impression sales is the only glimmer of hope I have for KOF XIII. And yet, after the KOF XII kerfuffle, I also have to wonder if it's too late to turn things around. With nothing major coming down the pipes, I have a feeling it's going to be a long stretch of time before we see or hear anything decent from SNKP. (Unless it's "KOF XIII guaranteed to be a complete game this time".)

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Also another note, because Atlus is more recognized, SNKP would need to shape up its practices, and we could very well see a climb in quality that completely defeats recent attempts.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
That is just speculation on my part (mixed with a little wishful thinking). Atlus would be a better, if not the best, U.S. distributor that SNKP's ever had (even better than SNKP USA, which, quite frankly, isn't really saying much). Atlus USA may ONLY be handling Metal Slug XX, but until KOF XIII debuts or KOF '02 UM lands stateside for the PS2, it's still a toss-up as to who holds SNKP's rights in America.

But what I'm saying is that a new distribution deal in the US doesn't have any effect on the quality of the games (which aren't even made here). Some people are talking as if the games would improve, as if distribution has anything to do with that, and this Atlus thing only affects distribution in the US anyway.

Plisken

Snaaaaaaake!,
I genuinelly really like KoF XII, it's really fun to play and looks amazing, it's so goddamn bare bones though and as stated the netcode is terrible, out of 100 matches i've had about 15 really good games. I used the excuse 'it needed releasing or SNKP would be bankrupt' to justofy the 70% complete game we ended up with, and i wonder how much of that lie on my part is actually true. So many compilations and shovelware coming out lately are they hanging on for dear life? Also, KoF98UM is fantastic but at the end of the day it is still a 12 year old game with a bit of polish.

Outkast99

Banned
I know it is said many times, but part of me wishes Capcom would buy SNK. I would like to see what their dev teams could do with their properties.

Korigama

Ghost of Captain Kidd
I know it is said many times, but part of me wishes Capcom would buy SNK. I would like to see what their dev teams could do with their properties.

Absolutely nothing. If anything, I don't even trust Capcom with their own properties at this point, so I'd see them buying out SNKP as being one of the worst things that could happen.

But what I'm saying is that a new distribution deal in the US doesn't have any effect on the quality of the games (which aren't even made here). Some people are talking as if the games would improve, as if distribution has anything to do with that, and this Atlus thing only affects distribution in the US anyway.

After the KOF XII debacle, it would seem like any other company taking the reins would be a good idea. However, like you said, if the games themselves are terrible, no amount of PR spin (or hardcore fan delusion) will make it any better than it actually is (short of an entertaining localization). Who knows what SNKP's financial status is at this point? On one hand, they've canceled the MI series for the foreseeable future. On the other hand, their pachi-slot and cell phone game divisions are probably rolling in the green. Until word comes down that SNKP has gone belly-up, this two-trick pony is still running as far as I know. Besides, if KOF XIII knocks everyone's socks off, they'll be plenty of crow for KOF XII's critics to eat.

Absolutely nothing. If anything, I don't even trust Capcom with their own properties at this point, so I'd see them buying out SNKP as being one of the worst things that could happen.

After the "No Rival Schools" debacle, you might have a point. And yet, way back in 2000 and 2001, Capcom gave SNK something that hadn't been seen until last year: new, original sprites. I bet if KOF XII had used those models, thrown in a bunch of characters and followed KOF XI's system, it would've been a sure-fire seller. I think what SNKP needs most of all is an infusion of talent; a sheer lack of it is probably what killed KOF XII. They could outsource their work to a third-party team, but after the "Eolith/Mega Enterprise" debacle of 2001/02, maybe they should stay close to the pond.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
After the "No Rival Schools" debacle, you might have a point. And yet, way back in 2000 and 2001, Capcom gave SNK something that hadn't been seen until last year: new, original sprites. I bet if KOF XII had used those models, thrown in a bunch of characters and followed KOF XI's system, it would've been a sure-fire seller. I think what SNKP needs most of all is an infusion of talent; a sheer lack of it is probably what killed KOF XII. They could outsource their work to a third-party team, but after the "Eolith/Mega Enterprise" debacle of 2001/02, maybe they should stay close to the pond.
Screw all of this talk. SNKP gave Capcom new sprites in SVC Chaos. There's no reason to stick with that outdated stuff.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Screw all of this talk. SNKP gave Capcom new sprites in SVC Chaos. There's no reason to stick with that outdated stuff.

yeah... but SNK characters looked so fresh in CVS. Think about how cool Kyo looked in CVS compared to any KoF.

On the flipside, none of the SF characters were improved by SNK in SVCC. I'll give respect for what they did to Dmitri and Arremer, but nothing else really mattered.

Outkast99

Banned
yeah... but SNK characters looked so fresh in CVS. Think about how cool Kyo looked in CVS compared to any KoF.

On the flipside, none of the SF characters were improved by SNK in SVCC. I'll give respect for what they did to Dmitri and Arremer, but nothing else really mattered.

I liked what they did with Sim's limbs and how they looked and flapped around. Animation wasn't up to par for me though.

Why doesn't SNK hire DIMPS to bring KOF into 3D like they did with SFIV.

genjiglove

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
Besides, if KOF XIII knocks everyone's socks off, they'll be plenty of crow for KOF XII's critics to eat.

Why would they be eating crow for KOF XII? Would XIII being a good game erase the fact that XII sucks?

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
Why would they be eating crow for KOF XII? Would XIII being a good game erase the fact that XII sucks?

Couldn't have said it better. I've been eating some delicious chicken of truth speaking about that nonsense before.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I hate the CVS versions of SNK characters. They look like fucking super-heroes with huge shoulders and upper-bodies disproportionate to their lower bodies. Kyo is one of the worst. Garbage.

The sprites from KOF '94 & '95 are a million times better. The normal characters have proportions to look like normal people. Terry doesn't look like every seam in his jeans is about to split.

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member

I thought they never looked better, personally.
Violent Ken, come the fuck on wasabi. Come on now. Come on man.

NeoTheranthrope

Basara's Blade Keeper

Bah! Fuck Kim and his magical over-animated pants.

...but more importantly, what about DOKI DOKI MAJO SHINPAN 3?!

oni2382

New Challenger
I thought they never looked better, personally.
Violent Ken, come the fuck on wasabi. Come on now. Come on man.

I know I'm new but I agree with LoneSage...Violent Ken was a sick design and a good take on the Evil/Shin line of Capcom characters....The CVS was fun the characters all moved too slow and it was weird playing SNK characters using 6 buttons (referring to CVS2)