Retro Game Bubble - Will it grow, decline, or finally pop?

Mega

Cheng's Errand Boy
I'll say what I say every time this gets posted.

Not happening anytime soon. Prices will go down when the games, or more likely the consoles are non-functional. People will get scared as their games begin to break, or frustrated their consoles keep breaking, and sell them.

When games and consoles begin to get to the point where a functional console/game is a rare find, then prices will drop. But they will drop just like they rose. Atari, NES, SNES, etc from that gen will go down first as they begin to break. But when that happens PS3 collecting will probably be all the rage, so you will be fucked there.

Like many people here, I've began to realize collecting is stupid AF. It took a cleaning and testing of my MVS library earlier this year to finally figure this out. I take great care of my games, but still they were filthy, leaking, and some had exposed traces. That was my ticket to GTFO the hobby. So this Winter I'm selling all my stuff I can everdrive, and completely dropping out of Saturn because it's ridiculous. My stuff will be long gone before it breaks, and I will be way ahead, many many thousands ahead of my investment since 1997 when I started buying NES games with my lunch money at the flea market on the weekends.

Do yourself a favor. Quit researching game prices, and use that time to play games. The collecting of game consumes more time than the playing of game when you get too deep. I've been there. Lots of us have. Life to short to collect. Just play while you still can.

Consoles becoming non-functional may not be a big issue with the appearance of new FPGA consoles. The Retro AVS is pretty affordable and has been well received. Not saying one way or the other what effect they will have on game prices, but it's nice to know options will continue to exist to play on industinguishable-from-real hardware.

Agree on that last point. At some point you gotta stop buying shit and obsessing about your setup, and just sit down and play what you have.

Sikleflaming

Quiz Detective
When games and consoles begin to get to the point where a functional console/game is a rare find, then prices will drop.

I am super confused by this logic, wouldn't a game/console in working condition being rare make it more expensive? Like if there are only a few working NESs (god forbid), wouldn't the few ones that work be super expensive?

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide
Prices of video games will drop, as soon as we, their owners, become non-functional. The rest is just hype...

FilthyRear

Neo-Geo.com's, Top Rated Bully.,
15 Year Member
Like you're one to talk most your posts to people is trolling. Don't like me block me. Like you're going to be.

Stop crying like a bitch because someone is telling you the truth.

unofficialitguy

Hardened Shock Trooper
It sucks that the prices are going up but that's the way that most things go.

Just focus on playing games. If you have an arcade cab without the budget that'll keep up with the inflation, get a Pandora's Box 4 setup or a Multicart. I emulate most of the console games that I like to play (except my N64 games) and save up and buy the games I really liked on the Neo Geo to play it on my cabs. Buying games for Neo Geo is not like buying for the NES or SNES. There are not brick and mortar stores like Game Over Video Games in the U.S. that you can walk into an pick up a copy of Metal Slug X. There is a 0% chance of finding games at a yard sale and nowadays, that shit gets posted on eBay instead of being setup next to the craft table come Yard Sale Day.

Cousin_Itt

Galford's Armourer
10 Year Member
http://kotaku.com/36-years-of-console-prices-adjusted-for-inflation-1485353267

A few years old, but still interesting to see the trend of original msrp inflated to today's dollars. IMO, games are only really expensive once you start trying to get complete in box/sealed stuff. cart/disc only can be had for relatively cheaper most times. As far as Neo Geo MVS is considered (AES another beasts altogether due to original high price/limited runs) It's dirt cheap compared to when originally sold to arcade vendors.

fucked_king

New Challenger
I am super confused by this logic, wouldn't a game/console in working condition being rare make it more expensive? Like if there are only a few working NESs (god forbid), wouldn't the few ones that work be super expensive?

As I understand it, the idea is that people may be less willing to purchase something if it's seen as likely to break, high maintenance and more trouble than it's worth.

As emulation gets better and better and FPGA clones of consoles become available, how many people will still want to stick to original hardware?

beigemore

Camel Slug
10 Year Member
I'm starting to clear out my games. I used to see my "game library" as someone would view their library of hand picked books, but now I just don't give a shit about the physical copy of the software. It takes up too much space and collects dust. I don't ever play the stuff, and if I do, it's usually in an emulator because it's quicker and easier. I used to be very adamant about owning physical copies of games, but they're going to way of the CD.

I do still own a shit ton of old PC games. Those are actually pretty cool because of all of the extras they used to throw in like maps, tokens, mini-novels, VHS tapes, etc. I'm sure I'll get rid of those within the next few years, too, along with all of my old 486/Pentium components. It's just easier playing that stuff in DOSBox. I do plan on keeping my MIDI synths, though, like Roland SC-55 and Yamaha MU80. At least those can still be used with modern PCs and other hardware.

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Yup. Pretty much everyone with a brain is dumping all the space and time wasting hardware and physical media. Emulation is better than the real thing. Fuck swapping boards/cartridges/CDs. I don't have the time or patience for that crap anymore. What surprises me is that people even still buy stupid consoles like the PS4 knowing their eventual fate (dust collectors). It's such a scam. It's actually cheaper in the long run to just maintain a decent gaming PC. Beats re-buying the same games repeatedly every generation of consoles.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm starting to clear out my games. I used to see my "game library" as someone would view their library of hand picked books, but now I just don't give a shit about the physical copy of the software. It takes up too much space and collects dust. I don't ever play the stuff, and if I do, it's usually in an emulator because it's quicker and easier. I used to be very adamant about owning physical copies of games, but they're going to way of the CD.

I do still own a shit ton of old PC games. Those are actually pretty cool because of all of the extras they used to throw in like maps, tokens, mini-novels, VHS tapes, etc. I'm sure I'll get rid of those within the next few years, too, along with all of my old 486/Pentium components. It's just easier playing that stuff in DOSBox. I do plan on keeping my MIDI synths, though, like Roland SC-55 and Yamaha MU80. At least those can still be used with modern PCs and other hardware.

Same here. I'm gradually starting do get rid of some stuff and will eventually get rid of most. Maybe keep one format and flash cart the rest, keep a few handhelds for when I go on vacation, and just do the rest of my gaming on the pc.

Being a collectard just isn't cool any more.

Last edited:

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
Yup. Pretty much everyone with a brain is dumping all the space and time wasting hardware and physical media. Emulation is better than the real thing. Fuck swapping boards/cartridges/CDs. I don't have the time or patience for that crap anymore. What surprises me is that people even still buy stupid consoles like the PS4 knowing their eventual fate (dust collectors). It's such a scam. It's actually cheaper in the long run to just maintain a decent gaming PC. Beats re-buying the same games repeatedly every generation of consoles.

I've been saying this forever. The only reason you should ever buy old video games is for collecting them, not for playing them as it's completely unneccesary. Emulation is almost always easier/better than the real thing now (especially for arcade stuff), and certain cheaper.

That's why I always laugh when someone says the same old stupid crap about rare games being overpriced. Rarity is literally the only thing that should even matter for physical media these days. Playing and collecting are 2 different hobbies, and the sooner people figure this out the better.

ballzdeepx

Rugal's Secretary
20 Year Member

I've been saying this forever. The only reason you should ever buy old video games is for collecting them, not for playing them as it's completely unneccesary. Emulation is almost always easier/better than the real thing now (especially for arcade stuff), and certain cheaper.

That's why I always laugh when someone says the same old stupid crap about rare games being overpriced. Rarity is literally the only thing that should even matter for physical media these days. Playing and collecting are 2 different hobbies, and the sooner people figure this out the better.

Did you guys both go to lenscrafters on BOGO day to get your warped lenses?

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
So playing on an emulator makes you autistic now? Unlike you I'm not living in some fantasy land like it's 1992 where better alternatives don't exist. Only amongst your little bubble on Neo-Geo.com does this type of mental retardation still prevail. You are the dinosaurs. Everyone else moved on a long time ago.

And fuck no I don't own any VGA bullshit or sealed games.

bloodycelt

Chin's Bartender
I'll say what I say every time this gets posted.

Not happening anytime soon. Prices will go down when the games, or more likely the consoles are non-functional. People will get scared as their games begin to break, or frustrated their consoles keep breaking, and sell them.

When games and consoles begin to get to the point where a functional console/game is a rare find, then prices will drop. But they will drop just like they rose. Atari, NES, SNES, etc from that gen will go down first as they begin to break. But when that happens PS3 collecting will probably be all the rage, so you will be fucked there.

Like many people here, I've began to realize collecting is stupid AF. It took a cleaning and testing of my MVS library earlier this year to finally figure this out. I take great care of my games, but still they were filthy, leaking, and some had exposed traces. That was my ticket to GTFO the hobby. So this Winter I'm selling all my stuff I can everdrive, and completely dropping out of Saturn because it's ridiculous. My stuff will be long gone before it breaks, and I will be way ahead, many many thousands ahead of my investment since 1997 when I started buying NES games with my lunch money at the flea market on the weekends.

Do yourself a favor. Quit researching game prices, and use that time to play games. The collecting of game consumes more time than the playing of game when you get too deep. I've been there. Lots of us have. Life to short to collect. Just play while you still can.

By the time PS3 games become collectable, actual working systems with the downloaded patches will be more rare than working NES systems.

JoeAwesome

I survived Secret Santa, It wasn't Easy.,
Sikleflaming said:
I think it's true that if price is gonna be a big barrier than yeah it's probably only worth it to emulate, but the point I was trying to make was that one can be affected by this crazy price rise even if they are just trying to play the games and not collect. I can think of quite a few titles, especially on MAME, that run but are emulated pretty poorly...

Comparing arcade games to console games is apples and oranges.

Sikleflaming said:
Also, speaking of emulation, wtf did people do back before MAME and other neo emulators were out?

They went to their local arcade/washateria/grocery store/movie theater.

Sikleflaming said:
I'm sure the prices were much lower then but I'm sure people were much more voracious in trying to get their hands on games if there was literally no other way to play them.

Again, apples and oranges. Arcade games were probably valued differently before superguns and consolized arcade motherboards became more popular and easier to use.

Sikleflaming said:
Also also, is it just me, or do prices rise every year near Christmas and then never really go back down?

It's because people spend money at Christmas time, and the market doesn't reset.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
And fuck no I don't own any VGA bullshit or sealed games.

Cool.

I can't wait until people start opening VGA graded crap and find no game, manual, etc. Just packaging and a rock. It's going to be awesome.

Hindsight being 20/20, people will be like what did you think was going to happen? You only cared about the box/case for displaying anyways and never playing it.

At least I hope this happens.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
Or how about eventually finding some cartridge in the future where the battery due to the environment causes it to blow. The acid slowly erodes through the board and then out of the cart itself chewing up the cardboard. That coffin VGS uses isn't sealed in the least bit, it's not a time capsule. Eventually it'll be a time eaten corpse in a box.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
Or how about eventually finding some cartridge in the future where the battery due to the environment causes it to blow. The acid slowly erodes through the board and then out of the cart itself chewing up the cardboard. That coffin VGS uses isn't sealed in the least bit, it's not a time capsule. Eventually it'll be a time eaten corpse in a box.

Exactly, I install battery holder in all my stuff. People who claim to "preserve" games by getting them graded are a bunch of fucking posers. That's what ROM dumpers are for. All they care about is collecting, and looking at a shelf, not actually gaming. They might as well collect stamps or garbage pail kids. It's like buying a car and never driving it, not a single time. Not even getting in the seat, or opening the door. Just leaving it in a locked garage to die a horrible, lame death, when it should have been enjoyed and broken in.

There are 3 types of collectors/gamers that I see.

Hoarders that rarely/never play (collectors, spend more time researching games/prices than playing games)

Gamers (those who enjoy playing more than collecting, will game any way possible but normally prefer real hardware)

Tinkerers (those who collect normally hardware to tinker and mod them, bring them back to life)

When all these consoles are pretty much done there will be some tinkerers left who bring these back to life and cater to people, like many probably on this forum, who desire a real hardware experience. Those are the consoles that will be desirable, and probably super expensive.

A lot of collectors have no idea what they are doing. I see people all the time looking for "OEM" power supplies, when they will likely die any day. They should be looking for new power supplies that work correctly like the Sega Trio. Those people, and there are a lot of them, will be out of collecting and dump all their shit just because they can't get OEM. Because they are that anal about collecting, opposed to enjoying. They will get tired of dicking around with their Famicom Disk Systems, and deleted FDS games, and say "Fuck it, I'm out", just like I already have.

There will probably always be a market, but the market will probably shift to mainly real collectors who don't even play games and might even collect them with no intention to care for them. Then there will be the people that still desire the real experience legitimate hardware provides, and be willing to shell out some serious cash for working/refurbished stuff. That will be the transitional phase before everything is completely broken for good with no hope to be fixed. Then it will be worth next to nothing except to collectors in a few hundred years that want to actually hold the games they enjoy via emulation.

I think it's important to understand that there will be a transitional period. It's not going to crash all at once. It will crash for good when all systems and games are beyond repair. Until that point it's going to get worse before it gets better. But eventually there will be so many people dumping games right before everything is truly broken that the market will be flooded.

When you have to scour eBay for a working SNES console like you do a Metal Slug 1 AES now, the used game market will be flooded for those respective consoles and their games. No one is going to buy those games when they can't afford/find a/another working console.

Last edited:

bulbousbeard

Iconic Romhacker Analinguist
Hey Greedo, which PCE game does your signature come from? I've been trying to collect all the game graphics of video games.

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
No idea. I found randomly online a very long time ago. I always thought it was a custom made graphic.