Retro Game Bubble - Will it grow, decline, or finally pop?

greedostick

Obsessed Neo-Fan
15 Year Member
I'll say what I say every time this gets posted.

Not happening anytime soon. Prices will go down when the games, or more likely the consoles are non-functional. People will get scared as their games begin to break, or frustrated their consoles keep breaking, and sell them.

When games and consoles begin to get to the point where a functional console/game is a rare find, then prices will drop. But they will drop just like they rose. Atari, NES, SNES, etc from that gen will go down first as they begin to break. But when that happens PS3 collecting will probably be all the rage, so you will be fucked there.

Like many people here, I've began to realize collecting is stupid AF. It took a cleaning and testing of my MVS library earlier this year to finally figure this out. I take great care of my games, but still they were filthy, leaking, and some had exposed traces. That was my ticket to GTFO the hobby. So this Winter I'm selling all my stuff I can everdrive, and completely dropping out of Saturn because it's ridiculous. My stuff will be long gone before it breaks, and I will be way ahead, many many thousands ahead of my investment since 1997 when I started buying NES games with my lunch money at the flea market on the weekends.

Do yourself a favor. Quit researching game prices, and use that time to play games. The collecting of game consumes more time than the playing of game when you get too deep. I've been there. Lots of us have. Life to short to collect. Just play while you still can.

Kid Panda

The Chinese Kid
As a matter of fact, I'm playing games right now, not giving a shit what a game is worth. Which it what it seems a lot of collectors seem to do lately, talk about how game A has gone up in price in the past year. If you own it, why do you care?

fucked_king

New Challenger
Not happening anytime soon. Prices will go down when the games, or more likely the consoles are non-functional. People will get scared as their games begin to break, or frustrated their consoles keep breaking, and sell them.

Spot on.

This is why I don't collect any kind of electronics, they have a limited lifespan and when they break repairs will be expensive if possible at all.

I'm impressed how long the older consoles and games have lasted though, I have to wonder if the people who designed them ever imagined they would still be in use decades later....

Thierry Henry

Tung's Hair Stylist
^^
Most cartridge based systems will outlive you and me. Less moving parts, less shit to go wrong.

fucked_king

New Challenger
^^
Most cartridge based systems will outlive you and me. Less moving parts, less shit to go wrong.

I guess under the right conditions that's probably true. But I think eventually most of them will die from leaking capacitors, a power surge frying a chip no longer in production, or metal oxidizing.

oliverclaude

General Morden's Aide

For that to happen, people would have to play them. They don't -- consequently, validity of the entity is not relevant & teh shelf doesn't care anyway.

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Which it what it seems a lot of collectors seem to do lately, talk about how game A has gone up in price in the past year. If you own it, why do you care?

The rarer the game, the more fun it is to play.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Ninja Spirit is my favorite game, ever. Do I cringe every time I see the PCB price? Yes I do, I don't own it yet, not even the Hue Card but I'm happy with emulation and an ED so far. I've prolly said it a bunch of times already but I 1cced PCE mode, working on the arcade mode but even then it is not near as difficult as the PCB/ROM.

Tanooki

War Room Troll
I know. I'm just bored of it at the moment. I read this site for years off and on before signing up.

Sapphire

World Soccer '96
most of the People buy (collect) the games they played when they were kids because now they have the $$ to buy it (again)
in my Company most of the "young" guys have no idea what a SNES, Genesis, etc is...and they have absolute NO interest in this Retro stuff because they grew up with max PS1+
I have the same Feeling about anything below 16bit (Little exception PCE ;) ) i have absolute no ambitions to buy a NES or Master System game etc.

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
most of the People buy (collect) the games they played when they were kids because now they have the $$ to buy it (again)
in my Company most of the "young" guys have no idea what a SNES, Genesis, etc is...and they have absolute NO interest in this Retro stuff because they grew up with max PS1+
I have the same Feeling about anything below 16bit (Little exception PCE ;) ) i have absolute no ambitions to buy a NES or Master System game etc.

I'm a 16 Bit kid as well but I still love the Nes. It was the first console I enjoyed playing. Never got into the Master System so can't say that I really care for it.
16-Bit 4LiFe

cat

It's Time Us Welsh, Stood on our own 2 feet, WEL_S
I got to agree that age has a lot to do with your preferences.
But i'm 50 and have been around since the first gen pong clones and would never want to own anything 1st or 2nd gen TBH.
I'd also say that 16bit console graphics have a classic pixel art style that has a very broad appeal, even to gamers who are in they're mid/late 20's.
And of course the games are really fucking good lol.

Syn

There can be only one.
10 Year Member
As long as there's LiquidSnake there's no chance of bubble bursting.