Religion ugh...not again

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
have you thought about writing your posts in MS word first, and then pasting them here?

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Spoiler: the bible (and all the other religious books) was written by humans and we all know that humans like to make bullshit stories up (see AF3), it proves nothing.

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
The more recent ones like Branch Davidian or Heaven's Gate say a lot about how the old religions could have established at the start. Powerful brainwashing techniques proven to work thousands of years ago just as well as this day and age.

Wachenroder

Galford's Poppy Trainer
You kind of have to love him because your sister does. At least you get along with him. I would ask my sister not to marry that kind of person. I don't think she would anyways. Inlaws you can love are a luxury.

Yeah I do realize this and i'm trying my best. Fortunately, I'm usually pretty tolerant to other peoples beliefs or even outright ignorance/stupidity as long its not directly harmful to someone or something I care about. He does tend to poke at me and the mere concept of NOT believing in at least SOME sort of deity. So far I've been able to change the subject or deflect. He hasn't done it in a few weeks though but I can tell it still bothers him.

Sucks because other then some of the stupid shit he believes he's a really smart, decent and responsible dude. That's the biggest problem I have with religion. It can take a good person and bend them into this intolerant and immoral mess on very specific yet arbitrary issues.

PleaseKillMeNow

Aerobics Instructor,
I find myself agreeing with Trey Parker's views on religion. In essence: religions are silly, but the idea we're here for no reason is sillier.

AlecRob

Banned
Looks like everybody completely ignored my wall of text on the last page...

Marek

Banned
Looks like everybody completely ignored my wall of text on the last page...

Yeah because its full of words that further prove you have no concept of what the word "evidence" means.

'Would have'

'most likely'

etc.

As I said before in my posts, you AlecRob could very well be right about Jesus, The Bible, and your faith in them both. I'll say this and I mean it : I hope you are right about Jesus, because the world needs saving. But to say that there is PROOF of Jesus' divinity and that the Bible is true based on EVIDENCE, is insane.

It shows that you yourself have had doubts (totally understandable, as famously devout people seem to have all had doubt at one time or another) and have reinforced your own beliefs with conjecture that you call "evidence".

Evidence is something that would hold up in court. Something you can actually prove tangibly. Absolutely nothing you mentioned can be considered proof or evidence.

Why not just go back to saying you have faith? There is nothing wrong with that dude. Nothing at all. Just dont try to tell me you have proof of something that is, at its core, unprovable! It makes you sound desperate and unsure of yourself.

edit : Anyway kid. Charlie said your birthday is listed at some time in 95' which makes you 17 or 18. You are also from Kentucky, home of the Bible Science Creation Museum which purports that carbon dating is a lie an that humans and dinosaurs lived together on Earth 5000 years ago. I'm not here to tell you you are wrong about God or Jesus because I have no way to PROVE that you are wrong. I'm here to tell you that using words like EVIDENCE and PROOF in the way you keep doing, is insulting to rational thinking people. Those are holy words to a person of reason. You confuse suggestion with proof at your own detriment kid.

I'll say it again ! Frankly I hope you are right about Jesus. Because the world needs saving. But until he shows back up again and explains himself. YOU WILL NOT HAVE PROOF OF ANYTHING. Got it?

Last edited:

Asmoday

Baseball Star Hitter
I guess what interests me most is what people believe and how they came to believe what they do. If I had the money and time, I would take a bunch of theology and philosophy courses.

You don't have to have the money to take theology and philosophy courses to pick up books and read them for yourself. I have had my share of courses in both subjects as well as more history courses than most people take in college, but most of the books I have read and articles I have looked up on those subject matters were done outside of class for reasons of personal interest. Some philosophers are hard reads due to rough translations, their desperate desire to over complicate what they are saying to make the message sound much more profound than it is, or simply needing a decent understanding of the philosophies of previous ages as context to read their work, but many of them are fairly straight forward. Given your original post you might be interested in Plato, Kant, Marcus Aurelius and Nietzsche (though he is one who suffers from a required depth of background in philosophy to truly understand as he frequently makes veiled nods to or scoffs at previous lines of thought and those who proposed them without fully referencing them). I know that one of those things is not like the others, but the difference in ideology will likely speak to your conflict with the system of religion.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
the idea we're here for no reason is sillier.

This has always bugged me, why do humans think there is a purpose behind everything?

We're here because we evolved, the same reason everything else on earth is here. Shit just happens and keeps happening. Even within chaos, constant change and the passage of time things will evolve and build. There is no ultimate goal, things just are and we should just be happy we exist at all let alone now.

I think that is the root, the grand narcissistic flaw of humans. To fool ourselves that we are not just the most evolved meat sacks walking this space pebble. That there has to be some higher purpose, you know because...

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
I think that is the root, the grand narcissistic flaw of humans. To fool ourselves that we are not just the most evolved meat sacks walking this space pebble. That there has to be some higher purpose, you know because...
Not as narcissistic as making the leap that just because no purpose is discernible to YOU, it is somehow proof-positive that none exists anywhere in the universe.

That is as narcissistic and dumb a leap as a man 150 years ago saying absolutely that there are no such things as the UV spectrum, subatomic particles, and radio waves, just because he couldn't see them. You want to talk about narcissism, take a look at humankind's unstated belief that we won't find a ton more things that are completely invisible and undetectable to us now in the next 150 years.

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Not as narcissistic as making the leap that just because no purpose is discernible to YOU, it is somehow proof-positive that none exists anywhere in the universe.

That is as narcissistic and dumb a leap as a man 150 years ago saying absolutely that there are no such things as the UV spectrum, subatomic particles, and radio waves, just because he couldn't see them. You want to talk about narcissism, take a look at humankind's unstated belief that we won't find a ton more things that are completely invisible and undetectable to us now in the next 150 years.

I love you but I can't understand you. Maybe it's just the Cinco de Mayo.

Marek

Banned
This has always bugged me, why do humans think there is a purpose behind everything?

Because of synchronicity.

STK nailed it two posts up.

Dogmatic insistence of evolved, purposeless, cosmic pebble walking meatsacks is every bit as short sighted and, dare I say - condescending, as someone like AlecRob's belief system.

My only objection to AlecRob and you Terry is that you both have absolutely jack shit for proof to back up your very authoritative claims.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Because of synchronicity.

STK nailed it two posts up.

Dogmatic insistence of evolved, purposeless, cosmic pebble walking meatsacks is every bit as short sighted and, dare I say - condescending, as someone like AlecRob's belief system.

My only objection to AlecRob and you Terry is that you both have absolutely jack shit for proof to back up your very authoritative claims.

My objection is that anyone cares about the stupidity of arguing either way. It's like trying to argue that in a parallel universe, we're all cats. We can't prove it either way, and it's kind of dumb. I'm happy with either outcome.

No, the world does not need saving. It's self regulating. Eventually it will probably kill off the humans, and everything else, because fuck all of you.

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member

Well sure there are and hopefully will always be things in this universe that we are discovering, if there is a "purpose" for us as humans that's definately part of it. I meant more as a short sided need to justify our existence as if it needs justification so we can sleep at night. Aliens putting us here until we reach a certain level of evolution just so they can monitor us and harness our organs is equally plausible as god creating us in his image or whatever. Either way we have no control over it.

We're just here eating, killing each other, pooping, loving and creating things. So far that's our purpose and I'm fine with it.

Marek

Banned
No, the world does not need saving. It's self regulating. Eventually it will probably kill off the humans, and everything else, because fuck all of you.

Pffftt

You just want to be one of the wasteland survivors. You cant fool me.

Marek

Banned
I know its retarded to argue with a teenage theist. I really know.

All I want is for AlecRob to understand the meaning of the words Proof and Evidence.

Thats all. I dont give a damn what he believes or why. I just want to pound into his head that he should call those beliefs something other than 'proof and evidence of Jesus'.

Beliefs? How about beliefs. Thats what they are. He believes those things to be fact. But trying to prove things out of the Bible with "would have" and "should have" and "could have" is antithetical to the meaning of the word proof. Proof is indisputable. What some bible guy "would have done" is pure conjecture.

SouthtownKid

There are four lights
20 Year Member
Aliens putting us here until we reach a certain level of evolution just so they can monitor us and harness our organs is equally plausible as god creating us in his image or whatever.
Absolutely. Although you'd then need to ask where the aliens came from.

Marek

Banned
Aliens putting us here until we reach a certain level of evolution just so they can monitor us and harness our organs is equally plausible as god creating us in his image or whatever.

I'd say its more plausible!

lithy

Most Prominent Member of Chat
20 Year Member
Spoiler: the bible (and all the other religious books) was written by humans and we all know that humans like to make bullshit stories up (see AF3), it proves nothing.

The continually progressive change to which the meaning of words is subject, the want of a universal language which renders translation necessary, the errors to which translations are again subject, the mistakes of copyists and printers, together with the possibility of willful alteration, are of themselves evidences that the human language, whether in speech or in print, cannot be the vehicle of the Word of God. The Word of God exists in something else.

-Thomas Paine

Marek

Banned
The continually progressive change to which the meaning of words is subject, the want of a universal language which renders translation necessary, the errors to which translations are again subject, the mistakes of copyists and printers, together with the possibility of willful alteration, are of themselves evidences that the human language, whether in speech or in print, cannot be the vehicle of the Word of God. The Word of God exists in something else.

-Thomas Paine

:buttrock:

terry.330

Time? Astonishing!
20 Year Member
I bow to the reptilian elite at least they would have a sensible plan.

RondoX

n00b
I hardly ever post, but I had to chime in here.

I never truly believed the assertion that, "The world would be a better place if religion never existed."

In my opinion being destructive and in MANY cases, self destructive is part of the human condition. It is who we are. While I am not justifying or validating anything, if no atrocities ever occurred throughout human history, what you'd have, wouldn't be human.

If you took out world religion from human history, we would simply have found something else to take its place, to argue, fight, and kill each other over.

Has anyone seen the South Park episode where religion never existed, and everyone fights and kills each other over which scientific theory is correct? That was absolutely brilliant!