Record collecting

Kiel

All About Shooters Mod., If you fuck with me, I'll
20 Year Member
I will buy everything Data Discs releases, they are amazing.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
Last Wave is legitimately one of my favorite pieces of music, video game or otherwise.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
According to one of Data Discs tweets, they're working on releasing Outrun too. That should be some good chill music.

If it includes the Magical Sound Shower Euro Remix I'm down big time, otherwise I'll just pass...

Risky Ride and Shiny World are both really good as well.

Outrun 2, SP, 2006 Coast to Coast, Online Ed. Are all awesome games and I personally prefer them over the original but I still enjoy the original nonetheless.

Last edited:

prof

A Great Place to Store Your Dildo Collection
If it includes the Magical Sound Shower Euro Remix I'm down big time, otherwise I'll just pass...

Risky Ride and Shiny World are both really good as well.

Outrun 2, SP, 2006 Coast to Coast, Online Ed. Are all awesome games and I personally prefer them over the original but I still enjoy the original nonetheless.

That song makes me want to take a magical golden shower.

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
Finally got the AT120 and some speakers, this soundtrack is incredible!

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
That looks great Gallegos, how much did it set you back? I have a Sony Truntable, it's nice but I could use a second Table...

ggallegos1

Cholecystectomy Required.,
10 Year Member
That looks great Gallegos, how much did it set you back? I have a Sony Truntable, it's nice but I could use a second Table...

Thanks brother. It's currently at $229 on Amazon, it fluctuates between $219 and $249. I'm liking it so far, it's a good get for a starter table.

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Sounds like right up my alley, I'm not looking to go full on deep for anything more expensive than that, thanks!

I was asking DJDelly about a decent turntable and he's actually in the music business, his suggestions were a bit more than what I wanted to spend, maybe some day but for now this table looks the part and it's like mid-tier...my sony turntable is more like an entry level, it was only 150 or so...lol. I also have one of them Crosby setups for the lulz, it's cute...

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
My review of the at120 from a few pages back. The only thing I can add to it is that I still don't feel the urge to upgrade any time soon.

The first thing you see when you look at the AT-LP120 is that it looks like a Technics 1200, even upon closer inspection there's no doubting that it's a copycat AND a good one at that. So much so, a bunch of millennials thought the re-release of the 1200 was "copying" the LP120. The one thing that sticks out is that the 120 is more plasticky than the 1200. The top of the 1200 had a metal brushed top over plastic (evidenced by old tables that have chipped.) There are other little things to gloss over, such as the 1200's dustover with the bubble to protect the tonearm or the rubber feet with the metal cylinders on the 1200 (the 120 is plastic on the outside), but otherwise the 120 is just as solid and heavy as the 1200. I'm not sure how I feel about copying popular products, but if there was turntable you were going to copy or take design cues from, it'd be the 1200.

Now onto the table, the motor performs flawlessly and is ultra-responsive. It is incredibly stable, starts and stops on a dime and the table itself does a good job absorbing vibrations. There's been times when I'm going through my vinyls which is on a shelf directly below my table and I accidentally let a section of records slip causing the entertainment center to rumble and it does not affect playback. Not a skip, nothing. I don't scratch, but have played around with the platter while it's rotating and found it quickly gets back to speed when you interfere with the rotation.

The included cartridge is the much revered AT 95E, originally out of the box I felt the sound was a bit dark. I believe the cart is one of those all around, even sounding performers; more on the neutral side of things. However, I paired it up with a Schiit Mani preamp and the sound came alive. Now whether or not this is attributed to the Mani, is a different matter. For my ears the built in preamp and the external one I had before were of lesser quality. One thing is for sure, it sounds like a beast and you can really push this table to bring the best out of your collection with a good preamp and proper care of your vinyls.

Overall, I believe the 1200 is a better built device but the 120 ain't no ho. It is solid in construction, has stable speed (thanks to the strobe read out to help me confirm), minimal motor sound, and is a joy to use. I don't think admitting that it's not the 1200 is a bad thing. It costs $250, a fraction of the price of the 1200. Soundwise they're nearly the same. It's what I would come to expect from a direct drive turntable, which if you read my posts, you'd know I prefer them over belt-drive, even from an audiophile point of view.

Added bonuses, like the 1200, it's easy to swap headshells in the event you want to switch up the sound. I bought a Shure M447 for my hiphop stuff, but the headshell I ordered was buzzing too much. I'll mess with that later when my replacement headshell comes in. It's nice to have the option to take it from audiophile to dance table. Good for hosting get togethers and such. The USB feature, while being something I will probably not use often, came in handy already. I digitized a horrible song by Emmanuel Lewis for a friend. If I find music that never got a proper digital use, it is useful to know I can convert it easily to digital form so I can listen to it on the go.

I hear you can get even more sound improvement by removing the internal preamp. I really doubt I'll be doing this, but it is one of those "good to know" things. I'm really happy with this table and at $250, it not only gave me wiggle room to buy a proper Record Cleaning Machine, but also a proper preamp and a secondary cartridge. I really doubt I'll sell this, even if I buy a more expensive table in the future.

Positives: Price; proven direct drive motor used by many Hanpin tables (the company responsible for most of the direct tables on the market); easy setup; easy to swap in Technics 1200 accessories; reliable included cartridge.

Negatives: Lacks iconic status of the table it copied; short attached RCA wires; construction while good, still has some imperfections (the top should be more seamless in connecting to the bottom, I noticed a 1/4 of a 1/4 inch space, nothing that affects sound quality).

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
It seems like a really fine table...wanna pull that trigger so bad but I also want a couple other things about the same price...a WiiU...a new set of wheels for my Mountain Bike...geez...so many things...this table is super rad though...

Vidfreaky

New Challenger
It sounds pretty good, but the stock tube sucked, had to upgrade it with a higher quality one.

Day_Man

Hardened Shock Trooper
Ill have to get on that kickstarter I have the Vinyl for Hotline Miami 2 might as well get it for the first one too.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Not going to start posting cassette tapes in this thread but I picked this up the other day. I only have this tape. I think I'll pick up the occasional tape here and there but no plans to seek them out ... Maybe Megadeth's Peace Sells ... But who's buying? That's it though. I swear ...

fb8bcda4323902c55c3b76bc59366dc1.jpg

Last edited: