Record collecting

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
A lot of the old vertical turntables were linear tracking setups. So from what I can tell it pretty much depended on the brand what kind of quality you got. There was a Technics that you could vertical mount that was considered to be a very good system.

However, I don't see that technology making a comeback, due to the issues the optical sensors have reading anything other than black vinyl. Colors, clear and picture discs don't seem to work near as well with those systems.

At least that is from what little experience I've had and from what I've been told about such things.

max 330 mega

The Almighty Bunghole
15 Year Member
For anyone interested the only 100 copies of the new VHS glitch album are for sale through Juno records grab it quick if u wanna be super koll like me.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
For anyone interested the only 100 copies of the new VHS glitch album are for sale through Juno records grab it quick if u wanna be super koll like me.

Thanks for the heads-up, just ordered myself a copy.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
Very happy with adding this one to my tiny collection.

DSCF1328.jpg

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
That is a very good album.

I'd like to get both American Psycho and Famous monsters on LP.

All I have is a 7" promo of Dig up her Bones that I bought at a CD shop in the late 90's. They were suckers to put it out for a few bucks.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm springing for a 120. I can't wait anymore.

I think I'm going to shoot a short youtube video to review the 120, but here's my write up:

The first thing you see when you look at the AT-LP120 is that it looks like a Technics 1200, even upon closer inspection there's no doubting that it's a copycat AND a good one at that. So much so, a bunch of millennials thought the re-release of the 1200 was "copying" the LP120. The one thing that sticks out is that the 120 is more plasticky than the 1200. The top of the 1200 had a metal brushed top over plastic (evidenced by old tables that have chipped.) There are other little things to gloss over, such as the 1200's dustover with the bubble to protect the tonearm or the rubber feet with the metal cylinders on the 1200 (the 120 is plastic on the outside), but otherwise the 120 is just as solid and heavy as the 1200. I'm not sure how I feel about copying popular products, but if there was turntable you were going to copy or take design cues from, it'd be the 1200.

Now onto the table, the motor performs flawlessly and is ultra-responsive. It is incredibly stable, starts and stops on a dime and the table itself does a good job absorbing vibrations. There's been times when I'm going through my vinyls which is on a shelf directly below my table and I accidentally let a section of records slip causing the entertainment center to rumble and it does not affect playback. Not a skip, nothing. I don't scratch, but have played around with the platter while it's rotating and found it quickly gets back to speed when you interfere with the rotation.

The included cartridge is the much revered AT 95E, originally out of the box I felt the sound was a bit dark. I believe the cart is one of those all around, even sounding performers; more on the neutral side of things. However, I paired it up with a Schiit Mani preamp and the sound came alive. Now whether or not this is attributed to the Mani, is a different matter. For my ears the built in preamp and the external one I had before were of lesser quality. One thing is for sure, it sounds like a beast and you can really push this table to bring the best out of your collection with a good preamp and proper care of your vinyls.

Overall, I believe the 1200 is a better built device but the 120 ain't no ho. It is solid in construction, has stable speed (thanks to the strobe read out to help me confirm), minimal motor sound, and is a joy to use. I don't think admitting that it's not the 1200 is a bad thing. It costs $250, a fraction of the price of the 1200. Soundwise they're nearly the same. It's what I would come to expect from a direct drive turntable, which if you read my posts, you'd know I prefer them over belt-drive, even from an audiophile point of view.

Added bonuses, like the 1200, it's easy to swap headshells in the event you want to switch up the sound. I bought a Shure M447 for my hiphop stuff, but the headshell I ordered was buzzing too much. I'll mess with that later when my replacement headshell comes in. It's nice to have the option to take it from audiophile to dance table. Good for hosting get togethers and such. The USB feature, while being something I will probably not use often, came in handy already. I digitized a horrible song by Emmanuel Lewis for a friend. If I find music that never got a proper digital use, it is useful to know I can convert it easily to digital form so I can listen to it on the go.

I hear you can get even more sound improvement by removing the internal preamp. I really doubt I'll be doing this, but it is one of those "good to know" things. I'm really happy with this table and at $250, it not only gave me wiggle room to buy a proper Record Cleaning Machine, but also a proper preamp and a secondary cartridge. I really doubt I'll sell this, even if I buy a more expensive table in the future.

Positives: Price; proven direct drive motor used by many Hanpin tables (the company responsible for most of the direct tables on the market); easy setup; easy to swap in Technics 1200 accessories; reliable included cartridge.

Negatives: Lacks iconic status of the table it copied; short attached RCA wires; construction while good, still has some imperfections (the top should be more seamless in connecting to the bottom, I noticed a 1/4 of a 1/4 inch space, nothing that affects sound quality).

Last edited:

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

need to fix formatting.

I had to belly up an unexpected $1000 for daycare down payment, so I have to wait a week or so to snag the 120. I'm gonna grab the same amp too. Good to see you're digging it and it's a decent option for those of us who can't swing a 1200.

Last edited:

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I had to belly up an unexpected $1000 for daycare down payment, so I have to wait a week or so to snag the 120. I'm gonna grab the same amp too. Good to see you're digging it and it's a decent option for those of us who can't swing a 1200.

Yeah, I tend to think a lot of the 1200 craze is based on nostalgia and it's iconic status. I'm guilty of being one of those crazy about them for those reasons as well. But even if they weren't highly sought after and out of production, they were always an expensive item. Sound quality on them is good, not perfect, but damn good (the 120 is nearly the same to my ears).

I think some audiophile snobs tried to convince the world you need some super expensive setup to get good sound quality. That's not true. Make sure the platter speed it consistent, minimize noise, have clean records, a decent cartridge (many good ones are cheap!), then play a frickin' record. It's not rocket science really. My gains from upgrading to better tables will most likely be small moving forward.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
As someone who used to DJ vinyl heavily (and I still play out a bit), IMO the main reason to have a 1200 is for playing gigs. There are better options for home listening. There are many reasons I will only use 1200s in clubs; mainly, reliability, their ability to track on a shitty bouncing booth, and their ability to be near a subwoofer without catching and creating crazy bass feedback.

CORY

a.k.a. Mother Teresa
Staff member
Why would you guys buy a SL-1200 if you aren't into scratching/mixing anyway? I mean, why would you need a direct drive turntable if you never touch the vinyl? Doesn't it create some kind of vibration or something? I don't get it.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
As someone who used to DJ vinyl heavily (and I still play out a bit), IMO the main reason to have a 1200 is for playing gigs. There are better options for home listening. There are many reasons I will only use 1200s in clubs; mainly, reliability, their ability to track on a shitty bouncing booth, and their ability to be near a subwoofer without catching and creating crazy bass feedback.

The 1200 wasn't really known as an audiophile table. It never was until recently. It can sound great (as most mid-priced, starter tables do) with the right tweaks such as a good preamp or cartridge. However, I think it's perfectly fine for home use (as is the 120). Reliable, sound great, and can over perform well past it's potential with the right tweaks.

That's my opinion, different strokes for different folks.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Why would you guys buy a SL-1200 if you aren't into scratching/mixing anyway? I mean, why would you need a direct drive turntable if you never touch the vinyl? Doesn't it create some kind of vibration or something? I don't get it.

I prefer direct drive for speed accuracy, ease-of-use, and price point.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member

To be honest, I was told that's the preferred turntable since day one of buying records. It's probably a case of the blind leading the blind, but from record stores to friends in the hobby it's all you'll hear. I was under the impression that direct drive offered less vibration, but maybe I'm mistaken?

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I was under the impression that direct drive offered less vibration, but maybe I'm mistaken?

Motor rumble, but fuck if I ever hear it. I think it's a bit of an overstated drawback.

Record stores love 1200s because it's probably the same table they've been using since the 70s. Those things would survive a nuclear fallout. I really doubt in a double blind test, most people would able to tell the difference between a direct drive and a belt drive at similar price points. I'll admit, that I haven't listened to too many $2000+ turntables in my lifetime, but then again, I would rather dump money into better speakers/amps, before burning that much on a table.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

This. The 1200 isn't a bad table at all, but I think you're sacrificing sound quality for features an average home listener just isn't going to use. The 1200s can take a beating and are workhorses, but there are plenty of better sounding tables in the price range IMO. I think there's a very steep curve of diminishing returns when it comes to this stuff. Get yourself a nice TT, a decent pre and a good cart and you're set. If you're using a MM setup the Ortofon 2M Black will even best some MC carts out there. There are plenty of great options in all price ranges.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
The 1200 wasn't really known as an audiophile table. It never was until recently. It can sound great (as most mid-priced, starter tables do) with the right tweaks such as a good preamp or cartridge. However, I think it's perfectly fine for home use (as is the 120). Reliable, sound great, and can over perform well past it's potential with the right tweaks.

That's my opinion, different strokes for different folks.

By all means they're fine for home use, I use mine at home too. I'm just saying that if I didn't DJ I would probably look at other tables. I do miss the days when pairs of 1200mk2 decks went for 500 bucks around here.

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
but then again, I would rather dump money into better speakers/amps, before burning that much on a table.

Or better yet, dump that money on better sounding records.

A good clean flat pressing will sound great on a $90 sony table.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
almost missed this. Thank you!

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Those retards still haven't shipped my Mother vinyl.

If you're talking about the Mother 1 vinyl, that should've shipped out already, I got mine a couple weeks ago or so. I'd shoot them an email if that's the case. As for the Mother 2 vinyl, they're supposedly still waiting on the manufacturer. From what I've garnered from their Facebook page, those are suppose to arrive early February. The Axiom Verge vinyl is not a pre-order though, and will be shipping out next week from what they say.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
If you're talking about the Mother 1 vinyl, that should've shipped out already, I got mine a couple weeks ago or so. I'd shoot them an email if that's the case. As for the Mother 2 vinyl, they're supposedly still waiting on the manufacturer. From what I've garnered from their Facebook page, those are suppose to arrive early February. The Axiom Verge vinyl is not a pre-order though, and will be shipping out next week from what they say.
Mother will begin to ship this Friday and Mother 2 is still on track for January/February!

Best,

Cassie Baralis
Ship to Shore PhonoCo.
www.shiptoshoremedia.com

That was on december 8th.

Beelzebub

Frenzy Football Player
10 Year Member
Shit, that's pretty ridiculous then, regardless of it being international shipping. There's no excuse for it taking that long. Mondo has been screwing me around like that with a couple records recently as well. They've just taken forever to ship out, and now that they have finally, it's being delayed. I swear these little record label upstarts need to get some extra shipping labor.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
I just mailed them again. If they keep fucking around I'll ask for a refund. Funny thing is: a friend who lives in the same city already recieved it a while ago.