Record collecting

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
So a friend bought this for me from discogs. Both sleeve and media were listed as "very good"
Spoiler:
ccIaZkD.jpg

sXKX1Do.jpg

Z5bhKJ7.jpg

3IryVD5.jpg

ZzlomlB.jpg

So "very good" means water damage, dirt-caked records and moldy sleeves nowadays.

Spoiler:
u88ohjR.png

"damage control" and lies about the whole payment process.

Last edited:

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
If you pay through discogs it marks it payment pending for you... Having both bought and sold on there for a long time, I don't think buyers can even do this type of status update manually; fairly certain the seller is the only one who can change an order status.

And yeah a VG record should have some scuffs / scratches but not fucking mold, that shit's unacceptable.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
If you pay through discogs it marks it payment pending for you... Having both bought and sold on there for a long time, I don't think buyers can even do this type of status update manually; fairly certain the seller is the only one who can change an order status.

And yeah a VG record should have some scuffs / scratches but not fucking mold, that shit's unacceptable.

Just for the record: I didn't buy that one, those are whatsapp messages from a friend who bought it for me. Of course he's just talking shit, I know very well how the payment process works on that site.
http://www.discogs.com/user/tommyseddon just look at his feedback.

skate323k137

Professional College Dropout
10 Year Member
How the hell do you manage to fuck up your buyer feedback like that... forget his seller feedback, if you don't have the money don't order the fucking record :/

Neo Ash

NG.com Audiophile, Club Member,
Very Good (VG)
Vinyl

Generally worth 25% of Near Mint value. Many of the defects found in a VG+ record will be more pronounced in a VG disc. Surface noise will be evident upon playing, especially in soft passages and during a song's intro and fade, but will not overpower the music otherwise. Groove wear will start to be noticeable, as with light scratches (deep enough to feel with a fingernail) that will affect the sound. Labels may be marred by writing, or have tape or stickers (or their residue) attached. The same will be true of picture sleeves or LP covers. However, it will not have all of these problems at the same time, only two or three of them. Goldmine price guides with more than one price will list Very Good as the lowest price. This, not the Near Mint price, should be your guide when determining how much a record is worth, as that is the price a dealer will normally pay you for a Near Mint record.

Poor (P), Fair (F)
Vinyl

Generally worth 0-5% of the Near Mint price. The record is cracked, badly warped, and won't play through without skipping or repeating. The picture sleeve is water damaged, split on all three seams and heavily marred by wear and writing. The LP cover barely keeps the LP inside it. Inner sleeves are fully seam split, crinkled, and written upon. Except for impossibly rare records otherwise unattainable, records in this condition should be bought or sold for no more than a few cents each.

Dr Shroom

made it in japan
15 Year Member
Doesn't even explain why he felt like shipping records caked in dirt, by far the dirtiest records I've seen so far, too much trouble to wipe them off before putting them back in their modly sleeve? Pretty obvious they were stored in a very damp cellar.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
That record cleaning machine I talked about buying finally came in. Now I wasn't expecting miracles but it's damn handy and works like a charm.

b4966f64f1e26d92389d7040401a6774.jpg

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
so it looks like Technics 1200's are coming back this year..

http://gizmodo.com/the-technics-1200-turntable-is-back-1751157898

Not surprised at all. Read a few articles hinting at it. It's the reason I went budget. Baring a price tag exceeding 1000, I'll be buying one when it's available. The non special edition.

Also, I'm super happy with my at lp120, reminds me a ton of my old 1200, but seems to be more like my sl d2 sound wise. Super awesome news though.

BanishingFlatsAC

formerly DZ
15 Year Member
Not surprised at all. Read a few articles hinting at it. It's the reason I went budget. Baring a price tag exceeding 1000, I'll be buying one when it's available. The non special edition.

Also, I'm super happy with my at lp120, reminds me a ton of my old 1200, but seems to be more like my sl d2 sound wise. Super awesome news though.

I'm springing for a 120. I can't wait anymore.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I'm springing for a 120. I can't wait anymore.

I think you'll be happy. Even in the 1200 announcement above people bring up the 120. It's a good table. Make sure you pair it with a good preamp, the built in one is ass.

ebinsugewa

Rosa's Tag-Team Partner
10 Year Member
There's a lot of wack graders on discogs unfortunately. Luckily if you pay with Paypal you're almost always going to be fine.

FAT$TACKS

Not Average Joe., Not Average Homeowner., Not Aver
15 Year Member
That record cleaning machine I talked about buying finally came in. Now I wasn't expecting miracles but it's damn handy and works like a charm.

I'm really glad to hear about the cleaner. I ordered one and am waiting on it.

Last edited:

norton9478

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
20 Year Member
Sigh at the noobs saying it looks like the LP120. Hilarious. Hopefully the build quality on this is at least decent and not some made in China cutting corners cheapo deck. Pretty cool that 78 speed is on there too.

The only speed missing is 16.

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Anyone know anything about the audio reflex mr-140? My player shit the bed and I want to replace it with something decent, this guy is selling it for $100.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Anyone know anything about the audio reflex mr-140? My player shit the bed and I want to replace it with something decent, this guy is selling it for $100.

You might be better off asking people at audiokarma.

I did a quick search, I've never heard of it, but some have suggested that it was a house brand by Sears, maybe have been developed by a Japanese company (which is a good thing).

The thing I'd watch out for is, can you replace the belt? Is the speed consistent? Sound come out of both speakers?

Can you sample it?

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
You might be better off asking people at audiokarma.

I did a quick search, I've never heard of it, but some have suggested that it was a house brand by Sears, maybe have been developed by a Japanese company (which is a good thing).

The thing I'd watch out for is, can you replace the belt? Is the speed consistent? Sound come out of both speakers?

Can you sample it?

I know the belt is replaceable, a Google search got some contradicting responses. I'll check there.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,

Seems like a run of the mill vintage table that should get the job done, I'd ask about any servicing performed and basic stuff like roker's questions above. Is a cart included?

Last edited:

SudoShinji

Zero's Tailor
Seems like a run of the mill vintage table that should get the job done, I'd ask about any servicing performed and basic stuff like roker's questions above. Is a cart included?

Yeh its included, I found some info suggesting its as you put it a run of the mill Canadian model. I might just hold off and use my shitty vestax handy trax until I can find something worthwhile.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
Sigh at the noobs saying it looks like the LP120. Hilarious. Hopefully the build quality on this is at least decent and not some made in China cutting corners cheapo deck. Pretty cool that 78 speed is on there too.

Yea, I saw that. Noobs will be noobs. I wonder what they will sell for.

madman

Blame madman, You Know You Want To.,
Yeh its included, I found some info suggesting its as you put it a run of the mill Canadian model. I might just hold off and use my shitty vestax handy trax until I can find something worthwhile.

Yeah, if you've got a backup TT I'd go w/that and wait for a deal on a more highly regarded table to come along.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I wonder what they will sell for.

I'm scared with the vinyl resurgence it'll be expensive. Also, I have a feeling this will be made in China. I'd like to be wrong on this, but I can't see it being produced in Japan. Chinese products are fine if they're made with good quality control.

Plenty of our electronics, car parts, and appliances that we depend on day to day are made in China. Ps4, wii, apple products, etc are all made in China and of high quality.

I think most likely we'll see that motor with a made in China sticker on it. Especially if they plan to make and sell a bunch of these this year.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm scared with the vinyl resurgence it'll be expensive. Also, I have a feeling this will be made in China. I'd like to be wrong on this, but I can't see it being produced in Japan. Chinese products are fine if they're made with good quality control.

Plenty of our electronics, car parts, and appliances that we depend on day to day are made in China. Ps4, wii, apple products, etc are all made in China and of high quality.

I think most likely we'll see that motor with a made in China sticker on it. Especially if they plan to make and sell a bunch of these this year.

Yea, I think your right. I believe quality control will be tight. Most people who are familiar with the Technics brand expect nothing but quality. That being said, I still wouldn't sell my original 1200/1210's and I'm going to wait for reviews for the first limited edition runs. You think it's going to be in the $500-700 range?