PS3/PSP/Vita stores shutting down

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
IIRC, the costume of a boss character named "Stallion" in the localized version had the same color scheme & design motifs as the first iconic Ultraman from eponymous 1966 JP tv show.
I thought they changed it in the PSP re-release to all brown. Why didn't they just release the EU PSP port to NA PSN....

PS: Hi Stefan !

Burning Fight!!

NIS America fan & Rent Free tenant
10 Year Member
I wonder if you will still be able to download patches and updates after the stores close? That is one thing I did not see any mention of.

I wish they would have a big fire sale, but I doubt that will happen
You'll probably will alongside trophy sync, but honestly you have to be pretty optimistic to believe Sony will actually keep other online functionality such as downloads working past 2021. If they didn't turn any profits on PSN now, imagine with the only place to actually give Sony money for PS3 stuff unavailable.

Hopefully piracy and muh preservashun nerds will snatch up the .pkgs from Sony's servers and fund an alternative one, but imagine the petabytes of misc packages in total on all region PSNs.

BTW if anyone cares I got my fat PS3, but it overheated like a motherfucker and basically killed itself on demanding games. I followed ChuChu Flamingo's tip (a real mvp) and I have the thermals working properly again on the console, it's seriously amazing that this is now running cooler than the Slim I killed. Definitely look up the "PS3 eraser fix/trick" if you have an overheating unit you'd like to use again, but don't want to potentially ruin it by attempting a delid.

Last edited:

sylvie

NG.COM TEMPTRESS
20 Year Member
I thought they changed it in the PSP re-release to all brown. Why didn't they just release the EU PSP port to NA PSN....

PS: Hi Stefan !
Welp, I just turned on my Vita for the first time in like 2 years and apparently I have BoFIII on there. So maybe I am getting my frustration confused with when I wanted to download BoFIII onto a PS3.

Mr. Karate II

Edo Express Delivery Guy
PlayStation Store for PS3, PS Vita will not shut down, Sony announces.

YyVb7ya.gif

Last edited:

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
I'm glad they changed their minds for now. I don't understand why they can't do something like steam. You have the same store interface for legacy (Ps3) and more current consoles (PS4/PS5) and just download games that are compatible for that console. Maybe dumb down the interface for older consoles so it runs better.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Well it sure worked to make them some extra money what with everyone downloading old games off their store due to fear.

Should have held out longer.

Vectorman0

SouthTown StreetSweeper
20 Year Member
I'm glad they changed their minds for now. I don't understand why they can't do something like steam. You have the same store interface for legacy (Ps3) and more current consoles (PS4/PS5) and just download games that are compatible for that console. Maybe dumb down the interface for older consoles so it runs better.
It's awkward to sell games, yet not support the hardware. They are selling games to people who they can't help when the hardware fails.

Because of this, I don't blame them for shutting it down. I would have made the same decision in their place. What they should have done better was be more transparent and announce the dates year(s) in advance. I suspect that's what they will do soon. They ripped off the band aid when they announced it a month ago, but effectively just superglued it back on.

RAZO

Mayor of Southtown
15 Year Member
It's awkward to sell games, yet not support the hardware. They are selling games to people who they can't help when the hardware fails.

Because of this, I don't blame them for shutting it down. I would have made the same decision in their place. What they should have done better was be more transparent and announce the dates year(s) in advance. I suspect that's what they will do soon. They ripped off the band aid when they announced it a month ago, but effectively just superglued it back on.
I understand what you're saying but I don't see why newer much more powerful consoles can't play ps3 store games. So even if ps3 hardware one day no longer is supported the games could still be played. I've been using Steam for the longest and have used a number of different pc's from old to new with different operating systems and everything just works.

I understand that pc's are much more flexible but still. If the game is available for download on the ps3 store, why can't you download it on the ps4 or ps5?

Instead they tell you to sign up for psnow service and pay extra a month to play these games on a browser instead of being able to download and play games you already own.

Fuck Sony.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
I understand what you're saying but I don't see why newer much more powerful consoles can't play ps3 store games. So even if ps3 hardware one day no longer is supported the games could still be played. I've been using Steam for the longest and have used a number of different pc's from old to new with different operating systems and everything just works.

I understand that pc's are much more flexible but still. If the game is available for download on the ps3 store, why can't you download it on the ps4 or ps5?

Instead they tell you to sign up for psnow service and pay extra a month to play these games on a browser instead of being able to download and play games you already own.

Fuck Sony.

Microsoft does a better job of this. You can still buy Panzer Dragoon Otra among other Xbox OG games on their marketplace.

Ralfakick

J. Max's Chauffeur,
20 Year Member
I started buying some games I wanted on Japanese PS3 I hadn’t purchased yet, just got La Petite Princess yesterday, glad I can slow down buying what I want for now and focus on other things money wise without FOMA

fake

Ned's Ninja Academy Dropout
15 Year Member

Fuck Sony.
It could have something to do with the Cell CPU and RSX being so difficult to emulate. I think rather than just say "fuck you, it's gone," they should say it's at end-of-life – it's not supported, so go crazy and try to buy games, but if it doesn't work, we'll refund you but won't go out of our way to fix the actual problem.

ShaolinAce

Ninja Combat Warrior
Is this game on the playstation vita store? Does anyone know? I guess I could fire up my vita and look myself. If nobody knows ill check tomorrow. I have the 360 kof version but this seems a bit different. I want it.

GhostSeed

Angel's Love Slave
10 Year Member
Is this game on the playstation vita store? Does anyone know? I guess I could fire up my vita and look myself. If nobody knows ill check tomorrow. I have the 360 kof version but this seems a bit different. I want it.

Yes, it's $20 on Vita.

roker

DOOM
20 Year Member
Since this all popped up I looked into it and yes, my PS3 is softmod-able

I'll be going that route.

Gentlegamer

Sakura's Bank Manager
10 Year Member
It could have something to do with the Cell CPU and RSX being so difficult to emulate. I think rather than just say "fuck you, it's gone," they should say it's at end-of-life – it's not supported, so go crazy and try to buy games, but if it doesn't work, we'll refund you but won't go out of our way to fix the actual problem.

PS3 emulation on PC is actually in a pretty good state, in fact better than PS2 emulation.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Since this all popped up I looked into it and yes, my PS3 is softmod-able

I'll be going that route.
Best thing you could do after all when the store does go down, and it will at some point, once your cmos battery dies that's it for your digital games unless you move over to CFW.