Post Your Recent Purchases!

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Nights is a terrible, overly repetitive game. So overrated.

It comforts me to know I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. NiGHTS has got to be the most overrated Saturn game I've played. How is it fun going around in circles over and over again with almost no room to see in front of yourself, requiring you to just remember where everything is? Burning Rangers is a million times better yet nobody talks about it.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
It comforts me to know I'm not the only one who holds this opinion. NiGHTS has got to be the most overrated Saturn game I've played. How is it fun going around in circles over and over again with almost no room to see in front of yourself, requiring you to just remember where everything is? Burning Rangers is a million times better yet nobody talks about it.

It's totally one of those games that is just detestable without any nostalgia attached to it. I loved it when it came out and figured my 5 year old would be super into it since it's all bright colors and obnoxious sounds, but nope. She screamed at me to go back to Saturn Bomberman.

I will however, defend the soundtrack to NiGHTS to the death.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
20200716_120052.jpg

So I picked up a copy of The Last Blade. Not sure what to make of this. Gallery. It's an English cover insert but Japanese cartridge, Japanese manual, and English warning label sticker. The obvious answer with the warning label is that it's one of the ones from the Neo Store. Is there a way to tell? And I wonder how a JP cart and manual ended up with an English cover.

KingOfSLUGS

New Challenger
View attachment 57147

So I picked up a copy of The Last Blade. Not sure what to make of this. Gallery. It's an English cover insert but Japanese cartridge, Japanese manual, and English warning label sticker. The obvious answer with the warning label is that it's one of the ones from the Neo Store. Is there a way to tell? And I wonder how a JP cart and manual ended up with an English cover.

The real question is about the authenticity of the cart itself....I would open that up to be sure. My first instinct is reproduced all around.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Picked that up off of Facebook huh Dr. Meat... I saw that one on there and thought it was a total oddball. I’m curious to see if anyone has info on it. I don’t think you could have gotten a more interesting AES pickup for the price though.

Dr. Meat

NEST Puppet
10 Year Member
Picked that up off of Facebook huh Dr. Meat... I saw that one on there and thought it was a total oddball. I’m curious to see if anyone has info on it. I don’t think you could have gotten a more interesting AES pickup for the price though.

Yeah, I did. From Johnny Rogue. Shipping took forever, too, which was really frustrating. But, yeah, for what he was asking I couldn't really pass it up. I have a JP LB missing the manual so to complete a copy and get an English is a win-win.

yagamikun

Maxima's Barber
20 Year Member
The real question is about the authenticity of the cart itself....I would open that up to be sure. My first instinct is reproduced all around.

I doubt it's a repro. An easy way to tell without opening would be to compare the weight of it against another cart around the same era - say, KOF 97. Repro boards are very light comparatively.

That said, there isn't a lot of reason to make a repro of LB. If it were, the components would also match. :)

Probably just from a collector who wanted to pay less and get the JPN version but had a fetish for the US spine and sourced a US insert. The insert may be a high-quality repro, but I doubt it. It looks like an authentic offset print - including the tell-tale indents around the edges from the hollow parts of the snaplock case that shows its age.

Last edited:

Neodogg

Dogg-Father,
20 Year Member
I doubt it's a repro. An easy way to tell without opening would be to compare the weight of it against another cart around the same era - say, KOF 97. Repro boards are very light comparatively.

That said, there isn't a lot of reason to make a repro of LB. If it were, the components would also match. :)

Probably just from a collector who wanted to pay less and get the JPN version but had a fetish for the US spine and sourced a US insert. The insert may be a high-quality repro, but I doubt it. It looks like an authentic offset print - including the tell-tale indents around the edges from the hollow parts of the snaplock case that shows its age.

...you mean he could compare it to the weight of...his JP one!?!?

redfield0009

Sieger's Squire

I know of an english copy that just sold. Thought this was it but I was wrong.

Last edited:

Naika

Street Hoop Star
It's totally one of those games that is just detestable without any nostalgia attached to it. I loved it when it came out and figured my 5 year old would be super into it since it's all bright colors and obnoxious sounds, but nope. She screamed at me to go back to Saturn Bomberman.

I will however, defend the soundtrack to NiGHTS to the death.

I've played some of it and it seems okay, but I'm not far into it, so we'll see. BTW, what is everyone's take on Saturn Bomberman? It looks great, but I'm wondering how it stacks up to PCE Bomerman 94?

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
I've played some of it and it seems okay, but I'm not far into it, so we'll see. BTW, what is everyone's take on Saturn Bomberman? It looks great, but I'm wondering how it stacks up to PCE Bomerman 94?

It's almost like a true sequel to Bomberman 94. Pretty much everything Bomberman 94 has, Saturn Bomberman has even better. I might be alone in loving the 1UP Bomberman experience, but I'd say it's definitely as good if not better than 94. AMAZING theme song and soundtrack too, you hear streamers and retro game folks use it all the time as BG in their videos.

Naika

Street Hoop Star
It's almost like a true sequel to Bomberman 94. Pretty much everything Bomberman 94 has, Saturn Bomberman has even better. I might be alone in loving the 1UP Bomberman experience, but I'd say it's definitely as good if not better than 94. AMAZING theme song and soundtrack too, you hear streamers and retro game folks use it all the time as BG in their videos.

Fucking A! Now that's awesome!

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member
20200711_123428_HDR.jpg
20200711_122115.jpg
20200711_101812_HDR.jpg
20200711_115359_HDR.jpg

Not necessarily a "new" pickup, but I finally jammed some Seimitsu buttons into the bean controllers I've had kicking around for a while. Ended up being more case cutting than I had initially hoped.

Annoying to cut through the PCBs internally, but the result has been worth it, and those original buttons really weren't doing the nice Matsushita switched sticks any justice before. Anyone considering this mod, do it. And feel free to use my color wire guide in the photo, it's accurate to the classic Neo Geo colored buttons.

Last edited:

Massive Urethra Chode

Disciple Of Orochi
cbLLp74.png

A mexican seller had this very nice and legit copy of Strikers 1945 Plus kicking around on ebay for quite awhile.... i’d been eyeing it and debating on picking it up for quite awhile. I kinda forgot about it and then checked around for a copy of the game and saw it again.. i figured, somehow nobody else has bought it despite having 13 watchers.. tiz fate.. so i pulled the trigger... just shipped yesterday. I’m pretty stoked, i’ve been slowly building a Psikyo collection of arcade items.

I’ve been comparing 1945 plus with the other strikers games and i notice something interesting: the NEO•GEO version has insanely SMOOTH looking explosions with excessive amounts of animation frames. None of the console ports of the era or even the ones made for Psikyo’s own arcade hardware can boast such a level of smoothness.

Another interesting thing about Strikers 1945 Plus on MVS.. from what i can tell, it is the LARGEST size shooter on the platform in terms of meg count (Excluding indie/homebrew).. 684 MEGA POWER! That is a VERY impressive size for a shmup, considering Blazing Star is only 346 megs! Sure strikers 1945 plus has ultra snooth explosions and a small FMV intro, but how the hell did it end up with 684 megs?? That type of meg count is more in line with a KOF game than a shooter!

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Not necessarily a "new" pickup, but I finally jammed some Seimitsu buttons into the bean controllers I've had kicking around for a while. Ended up being more case cutting than I had initially hoped.

Annoying to cut through the PCBs internally, but the result has been worth it, and those original buttons really weren't doing the nice Matsushita switched sticks any justice before. Anyone considering this mod, do it. And feel free to use my color wire guide in the photo, it's accurate to the classic Neo Geo colored buttons.

You didn’t have to cut the PCB at all. You can just cut the wiring harness from the PCB and directly wire the buttons. The bean doesn’t need a PCB with microswitch buttons. There’s nothing needing 5V anymore. It doesn’t really effect the weight of the stick either, so it’s just more work for nothing in a way.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
Yeah now you can't return it to original spec. I recently replaced the buttons on my old style and kept everything intact. Will never go back but you can include it if you ever sell it and transfer the choice to the next owner.

Digmac

Leona's Therapist
Yeah now you can't return it to original spec. I recently replaced the buttons on my old style and kept everything intact. Will never go back but you can include it if you ever sell it and transfer the choice to the next owner.

The bean sticks can’t be changed back due to case modding to get things to fit. You have to cut away what supports the PCB. I don’t know why someone would go back with the bean, but it isn’t doable once it’s modded anyway.

Heinz

Parteizeit
15 Year Member
The bean sticks can’t be changed back due to case modding to get things to fit. You have to cut away what supports the PCB. I don’t know why someone would go back with the bean, but it isn’t doable once it’s modded anyway.

Ahh righto then. Pity it's not like the old styles.

Mercuttio

Edo Express Delivery Guy
10 Year Member

Yeah, the shafts of the buttons aren't like the OG sticks. You can see in one of my pictures how I had to cut them down. The stick I think is identical to the OG though, at least internal switch-wise. Shorter shaft and it really doesn't work with a conventional ball top since it's such a short shaft.

I cut the PCB so I could retain the original start / select buttons- I like the way they sit in there. And totally- I know I could just do direct wiring for all the buttons, but I wasn't sure how to provide the support to the PCB for said start / select without it being screwed in all the normal spots.

Neogeo2012

n00b
Hi everyone.

There was a post back in 2004 in regards to" Vektorlogiks" MVS game Super Bubble Pop. I have recently acquired one of the carts with a serial number of 115. I have no idea what its value is if any, and wondered if any other members have a copy. It seems the company got itself into a great deal of problems. I am also aware that the game is now being offered on Aliexpress for £180 including shockbox and manual.

XxHennersXx

Why So Many X's?,
15 Year Member
c87ee2f6336edf3294c21f958b6e255a.jpg

c83b22364470c81fc40e16c7962467f2.jpg

8de6d2a0a768eb5503c2f51cce564a81.jpg

d208feae0876c0ff151855cf59f64c33.jpg

Got my new Retro-Access SCART cable and RGB upgrade board from RetroRGB hooked up and into my brand new Retrotink 2X SCART last night. I thought the component output on the Omega was okay (pretty crisp but still had some noise and wasn’t compatible with my Retrotink 2X).

Very pleased with the output! Super sharp and the scan lines from the RT2X look great. Played some Neo Turf Masters to check it out.

If you have an Omega and use SCART I highly recommend it (you’ll need a Genesis 2 SCART cable though since it ditches the proprietary one from ArcadeWorks).