Portable "All-in-one" Devices: Any Recommendations?

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Anyone have any experience with these (good or bad)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221160153465

Or is there something (in a similar size) you can recommend?

The listed "multimedia functions" (especially games, audio & video) sound great. Web browsing is a plus (as would be bluetooth --which this one lacks).

I've also considered an actual PSP, but having to downsample video & watch SNES run at 50% speed doesn't sound too appealing.

Thanks for any input, ideas, suggestions.

scrubsy

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
I say go with a PSP rather than a cheap knock off coming from china. It was my all in one until I got a smartphone and not sure where you heard snes runs at half speed, but my games never ran smoother.

alphagamer

Aero Fighters Flyboy
The PSP really is a good bang for the buck, though you have to convert your videos, UMD video flopped so big you can't even find ISOs online...

Craig

Stupid Bitch.,
15 Year Member
if you set snes to mono its very playable. Plus you can play all them cave games tated!!!

NeoGeoNinja

Athena's Wardrobe Manager
Personally, I use an Xperia PLAY on a day to day basis - as my console and mobile phone.

I only have MD, SNES & MAME emu on there at present, but it runs them very well.

Only downside is, I'm really not a fan of touchscreen phones...

StealthLurker

Naomi Yamazaki's Wingman
JXD is actually good. These fools don't know what they talkin' 'bout j/p :lolz:

But seriously, the PSP is lame unless you already have one laying around (free). The new stuff blows it out of the water.

The new hotness with good reviews is the JXD S7300.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
Personally, I use an Xperia PLAY on a day to day basis - as my console and mobile phone.

I only have MD, SNES & MAME emu on there at present, but it runs them very well.

Only downside is, I'm really not a fan of touchscreen phones...

I'll second this, I love my Xperia Play. It's revolutionised my shit breaks at work.

NeoGeoNinja

I'll second this, I love my Xperia Play. It's revolutionised my shit breaks at work.
I've gotten to the point though Steven whereby I'm going to have to 'root' this handset to create onboard space.

Have you had to do the same?

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
You're gonna have to downsample video on this thing too
Screen Resolution 480*272 pixels
Can't imagine browsing on this thing would be much fun, unless you liked it on the PSP.

StevenK

ng.com SFII tournament winner 2002-2023
10 Year Member
I've gotten to the point though Steven whereby I'm going to have to 'root' this handset to create onboard space.

Have you had to do the same?

I'm pretty lame with technology so haven't tried anything like that. Having said that I don't feel like I've needed to really, I've got a good percentage of the entire libraries of my favourite old systems on there with space to spare, what size micro sd are you using?

I've been waiting for a new release xperia play for my new handset for a while now, doesn't look like it's going to happen which is a real shame, it's the best phone I've ever had, I ditched my galaxy s3 for it without a second thought.

DanAdamKOF

Iori's Flame
20 Year Member
If you have an Android phone already, you could connect a gamepad to it, there's some accessories that let you clip a PS3 controller to your phone, and there's clip-on gamepads like the Moga, or you can use those without the clip, you could even cheap out and get a USB OTG cable and an old wired gamepad, admittedly you're getting a lot less portable at that point.

NeoGeoNinja

I'm pretty lame with technology so haven't tried anything like that. Having said that I don't feel like I've needed to really, I've got a good percentage of the entire libraries of my favourite old systems on there with space to spare, what size micro sd are you using?

I've been waiting for a new release xperia play for my new handset for a while now, doesn't look like it's going to happen which is a real shame, it's the best phone I've ever had, I ditched my galaxy s3 for it without a second thought.
The problem is, the PLAY has a lot of software installed to the phones memory in such a way that average mobile end users (i.e. you and I) can't simply delete it. Bullshit like Facebook, Twitter, other Google crap and whatnot. Loads of pointless consumerist gash tbh.

However, it is possible to create access to the phone whereby you can remove all that shite (including FIFA, SIMS etc) which will make the phone run better and give you space to install stuff on the phone you actually want. It's called 'rooting' apparently. But I don't have a PC to do this right now.

Also, I use a 64gb XC MicroSD card (SanDisk) and don't expect to need to upgrade it. Ever.

Have you tried a PS1 emulator on it yet? I bought some of the ones on the Xperia Store and they run great (DDerby, SFilter & WOut) but wondered how it handled the emulator separately?

I also bought Blazing Star from the Android store. Very nice indeed!

hyper

fresh out of fucks
10 Year Member
the original psp1000 is hands down the best all around handheld, neo and cps2 emulation is excellent and movie playback is sharp

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
Much appreciated all!
PSP almost seems worth it just for Dracula X Chronicles. I've been putting off getting the PCE version which is now about the same as a PSP + DXC.
Smooth-handling of 80's/90's era console emulation would be a huge plus (I wouldn't expect N64). Having to downconvert video is about the only (small) negative I suppose.

I'm intrigued by the Xperia. I'll check that out too. Thanks Ninja.

I say go with a PSP rather than a cheap knock off coming from china.

Definitely, I only brought up the JXD because of it's specs. 1GHz vs. the PSP's 333Mhz is pretty substantial. :)

SML

NEANDERTHAL FUCKER,
20 Year Member
I like my play as a handheld. Not so much as a phone. I have not managed to root mine. I don't think mine can be rooted. It has issues with call-forwarding and email syncing, and far too little free space for the user. I have to run everything possible off of SD. I can't remove Facebook or ATT maps, and I can't move them to SD. A second generation play with the issues ironed out would be great.

NeoGeoNinja

I like my play as a handheld. Not so much as a phone. I have not managed to root mine. I don't think mine can be rooted. It has issues with call-forwarding and email syncing, and far too little free space for the user. I have to run everything possible off of SD. I can't remove Facebook or ATT maps, and I can't move them to SD. A second generation play with the issues ironed out would be great.
It most probably can be rooted, if you feel inclined.

I wasn't at all bothered, but just recently, I started having lots of symbols appear in the info bar telling me I had insufficient storage space. Of course, if I didn't have all that bloatware crap, I'd have plenty of space, which is when I looked into a remedy - and 'rooting' the phone is it, apparently.

Then you'll be able to get shut of Facebook, Maps and whatever other crap is on there you don't want, like FIFA...

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
90 bucks with free shipping from China says it all.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
So... found a couple deals (I hope) and ended up getting one of each (PSP & Xperia Play). I probably would have just skipped the PSP if I'd found the Xperia first, but it'll be interesting to try 'em both.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

LoneSage

A Broken Man
20 Year Member
Anyone have any experience with these (good or bad)?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/221160153465

Or is there something (in a similar size) you can recommend?

The listed "multimedia functions" (especially games, audio & video) sound great. Web browsing is a plus (as would be bluetooth --which this one lacks).

I've also considered an actual PSP, but having to downsample video & watch SNES run at 50% speed doesn't sound too appealing.

Thanks for any input, ideas, suggestions.

don't.

mainman

CPS2 Person.,
20 Year Member
So... found a couple deals (I hope) and ended up getting one of each (PSP & Xperia Play). I probably would have just skipped the PSP if I'd found the Xperia first, but it'll be interesting to try 'em both.

Thanks again everyone for the input!

The PSP unjustly gets no love. It still is the most versatile hand held available despite it having a successor. Love my psp, I still pack my custom firmware psp in my travel bag when I head off to work. Two 32 meg cards, one for psp iso and the other for emulation and media. I am never at a lost for entertainment. I have stocked up on OEM parts such as batteries, joysticks, face covers, LCD screen to keep it going for years. BTW I actually buy my games as I prefer to own hard copies. I play them from ISO predominately for mobility.

I am only considering a vita because I want to play dragon crown on the go (not the psp go, you know what I mean) But will definitely buy one second hand since it would be only to play that one game.

the original psp1000 is hands down the best all around handheld, neo and cps2 emulation is excellent and movie playback is sharp

Actually the original 1000 model has a shit directional pad for fighters, had to mod my system to compensate. Recommend you get a 3000 model.

Joneo

Belnar Institute Student
The PSP unjustly gets no love... I am never at a lost for entertainment.

I'm wanting to love it too, but finding good (native PSP) games seems a bit difficult. Other than DXC (already bought) and some compilations (Gradius, Capcom Classics) there don't seem to be any real "must-owns" on the system.

The Xperia at least has the hardware & flexibility to keep up with emulators, droid apps and all that crap. :)

I'd definitely be up for some solid PSP game recommendations though.