Poll: Have you bought any Neo stuff from Japan in the last 3 years?

sat985

Quiz Detective
I was thinking about this recently while I was talking to a guy on the phone about selling him a big red cab. When he heard I had a candy, he wondered if I would part with it.

I got to thinking, I know my candy has been in the US for over 15 years and I picked it up pre-fukushima. While I don't play it very often, it's something I know I could never find another to replace it down the line that I would be absolutely certain that it was not 'contaminated'.

Will jp neo games/boards/systems/even other import games rise in value after Japan dies as a nation and the people fade into the history books? Could prices for US games someday be lower than JP counterparts? Putting production numbers aside, lets consider what is not from a contaminated area.

Now some of you may be thinking I bring this up to be negative against the people/country. I'd like to clearly state that's not the case. I speak the language. I use to like the country, hell I even had a vacation planned for the summer of 2011, then one fateful night a friend turned on his tv after returning from a bar only to see the beginning of their end.

Initially, I followed it very closely, for weeks I left NHK JP language feed playing on a computer, 24/7. After speaking with some qualified people about what was happening. Seeing the reactors blow one after another, it became apparent that I would never have that vacation. That a vast treasure trove of stuff i'd like to one day own would never be safe to store in my home. For quite awhile it rained here, constantly. The rain smelled 'metallic', I would never leave without a umbrella, even just to get into a car. Careful to change when arriving home. Hell for fun I would put a dosimeter down to the sidewalk while it was raining. Mind you it didn't read alpha, but still, seeing over 4x the maximum safe levels, and over 10x the typical average here in the midwest was not encouraging to say the least...

The food, water, and even the streets hundreds of miles away from the disaster are all littered with the nastiest stuff known to man. A literal guaranteed death sentence for those in that nation. Those with the means to, immediately left never to return. Some buried their collective heads in the sand because the truth is difficult to accept. Some knew their future was bleak yet had no viable means of escape. The Japanese government even began negotiations to purchase land from other countries to relocate citizens (albeit the top of the social ladder).

So the question I have is: Have you bought anything from Japan in the last 3 years, what are your thoughts on purchasing from there in the future, and what effect has it had on you since it began?

Last edited:

TikTekTak

Haomaru's Blade Shiner
10 Year Member
I really hope that thread is just a joke.

Otherwise *ROFL*

Oh my fucking god! How can anyone be so clueless?

I was thinking about this recently while I was talking to a guy on the phone about selling him a big red cab. When he heard I had a candy, he wondered if I would part with it.

I got to thinking, I know my candy has been in the US for over 15 years and I picked it up pre-fukushima. While I don't play it very often, it's something I know I could never find another to replace it down the line that I would be absolutely certain that it was not 'contaminated'.

Will jp neo games/boards/systems/even other import games rise in value after Japan dies as a nation and the people fade into the history books? Could prices for US games someday be lower than JP counterparts? Putting production numbers aside, lets consider what is not from a contaminated area.

Now some of you may be thinking I bring this up to be negative against the people/country. I'd like to clearly state that's not the case. I speak the language. I use to like the country, hell I even had a vacation planned for the summer of 2011, then one fateful night a friend turned on his tv after returning from a bar only to see the beginning of their end.

Initially, I followed it very closely, for weeks I left NHK JP language feed playing on a computer, 24/7. After speaking with some qualified people about what was happening. Seeing the reactors blow one after another, it became apparent that I would never have that vacation. That a vast treasure trove of stuff i'd like to one day own would never be safe to store in my home.

The food, water, and even the streets hundreds of miles away from the disaster are all littered with the nastiest stuff known to man. A literal guaranteed death sentence for those in that nation. Those with the means to, immediately left never to return. Some buried their collective heads in the sand because the truth is difficult to accept. Some knew their future was bleak yet had no viable means of escape. The Japanese government even began negotiations to purchase land from other countries to relocate citizens (albeit the top of the social ladder).

So the question I have is: Have you bought anything from Japan in the last 3 years, what are your thoughts on purchasing from there in the future, and what effect has it had on you since it began?

sat985

Quiz Detective
Could you explain exactly what is 'clueless' about my post? I'm talking about a very real thing, abeit invisible to the naked eye. This is not something that should be taken with a grain of salt. I even included my own readings here in the US, taken on a brand new meter with calibration documentation. I fail to see how any of this is a joke.

Last edited:

evil wasabi

The Jongmaster
20 Year Member
Great question and I think most of the neo valuables have been mined clean out of Japan.

Thanks to Whorespawns from planet frog, all the rare carts are fake there. It's sad.

ChuChu Flamingo

We have purposely, trained him wrong, ...as a joke
10 Year Member
If anything, price went up because people use it as an excuse to say "oh the games are more rare now due to the incident"

Also if there is any radiation, maybe I can become Hulk 2.0

incredible_hulk_.png

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
Sat, I'd like to see you spearhead a boots-on-the-ground effort to evacuate as much gaming stuff from Japan as you possibly can, while there's still time. Since you speak the language, just go explain the situation at every Super Potato you can find, while stuffing as much merchandise as you possibly can into burlap sacks (only use burlap). There are a few members here and at PCEngineFX that we can talk to in order to coordinate efforts, as obviously no one expects you to personally clear out the inventory of every shop in Japan on your own. Talk to cdamm or anyone who has coordinated group buys here to get the low-down on shipping via container. Ideally, we want to stage the containers in a port city that is as centrally located as possible, so that everyone who is helping out can make regular trips to drop off whatever they've been able to salvage. While you're getting that together, Mikey, BallzdeepX, KidPanda, Gohan, and I, along with perhaps some other of the SlashChat crew are going to form a blue ribbon committee to handle supervision and coordination at more of an executive level.

When we've gotten out what we can, I want you and any of our Japanese compatriots to load yourselves on the last container with enough provisions to last for 2 full weeks, plus a 5 gallon paint bucket (sans paint) for the obvious reason. If for some reason you run out of food, remember that you will have the contents of the bucket, and that the human digestive system doesn't run at 100% efficiency.

Good luck!

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Where's my vote? I don't see no poll! FWIW, yes I ordered some stuff from Japan in the last couple of months, also a NGPC console which I play a lot. Every shipment from Japan is controlled for radiation here in the EU (German customs even re-check again), no issue there.

I wouldn't worry about it too much, really. The leaked doses of isotopes where relatively small, the wind was blowing west, most stuff you will buy has been indoors and will have been quite far from the reactor and not be made out of materials that absorb radioactivity well. Smoking and flying are much more dangerous than having some "post-fukushima" articles in your home that you imported from south Japan IMHO.

Your theories about the demise of Japan and all that other endzeit angst in your post is amusing, but you're exaggerating things. Don't read too many of those conspiracy theories, you might start believing in them.

Last edited:

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
Poll fail... :(

And yes, I've bought MVS carts from Japan recently. SHuCards too...

sat985

Quiz Detective
hahahaha that's actually kind of funny. Albeit a bit too late for that. Hell I wouldn't step foot or even fly near that nation at this point though. On a more serious note, I was actually planning to send a container back on my planned vacation. Not all games, a car, some 'rice' parts and anything that fell off the shelf that looked tempting. I have to say now that they're fucked, who's going to make the shmups and old school rpg's for us now?!?! On the bright side, the majority probably have another 2 years or so before the really fucked cancer's set in. Look at the NCO's on the Reagan and it's CSG. I kind of feel bad for those guy's, they weren't told what they were sailing through. Imagine coming down with leukemia or having 1 ball, etc....A lot of those kids are in their early 20's and for all intents and purposes their lives are already over.

Oh and btw Tik, seeing as your from Austria, your either too young and uneducated to know of what effect ukraines meltdown's had on Europe or your just plain fucked in the head. Sometimes it's better to read, listen, and when you understand facts, then speak. That's a general statement on life aswell. Nothing against you personally, just consider what I have said, it may assist you in your future.

Last edited:

sat985

Quiz Detective
xsq, you do realize it never stopped emitting to the air. It's been offgassing for 3 years now. Some months have been better than others, but once it go's up, it has a tendency to travel around the planet, slowly raining/snowing down. Then the stuff that's dumped in the ocean daily, well rain comes from evaporation off the ocean. It's a vicious cycle of what go's up must come down. Ukraine was taken care of relatively quickly, contained. This, this is just insane with no end in sight. Technology to get in some of the buildings doesn't even exist.

On a side note, fuck the conspiracy angle of it. It's very real unfortunately. I watched the JMA wind patterns and no it didn't blow in any one direction. They've found that stuff everywhere. Hell they even send the debris down south to BURN! I'm sorry but that's just retarded. The nm of the stuff coming out of there is pretty small, it doesn't discriminate on what it deposits onto. The simple fact that the shit was on the ground in Minnesota, United States after it happened should say something. Mind you I verified this myself, with my own meter so put the conspiracy angle on the back burner.

Last edited:

Fritz

Annex Florida Coalition, Goodwill Ambassador,
15 Year Member
I find your revelations very disconcerning as i have purchased several mvs kits and homecarts post fukushima. It sounds like you have done plently of indepth research on this topic sat985 so what i want to know is do you recommend i sell these off asap before any additional exposure occures or is there some way i can contain them to keep any residual radiation from leaking out of the games? I have ziplock baggies think those would do the trick. I can double bag them.

Jibbajaba

Ralfredacc's Worst Nightmare
10 Year Member
I find your revelations very disconcerning as i have purchased several mvs kits and homecarts post fukushima. It sounds like you have done plently of indepth research on this topic sat985 so what i want to know is do you recommend i sell these off asap before any additional exposure occures or is there some way i can contain them to keep any residual radiation from leaking out of the games? I have ziplock baggies think those would do the trick. I can double bag them.

You should probably buy some lead blocks to help absorb the radiation. Also, wrap your head in foil any time you play Neo-Geo.

sat985

Quiz Detective
I'd get rid of them if I were you. Plastic will only block alpha. Things like gamma could beam a mile in the sky. Last year they had some significant problems at the site and it looked like someone was signaling batman in the sky!

One thing I do want to respectfully ask of participation in this thread: Don't make fun of what you don't fully comprehend or aren't educated in. That should avoid any flaming, etc... I'd like to keep things civil, this is meant to be a serious topic.

Also on a sidenote, OMFG, reliable and accurate alpha detectors start around $2k typically.

Last edited:

xsq

Thou Shalt Not, Question Rot.,
Also on a sidenote, OMFG, reliable and accurate alpha detectors start around $2k typically.
Do you have one of those? What data did you collect? Alpha, Gamma, Beta? Do you have a degree in physics?

So what you're saying is that I should throw out the NGPC I bought, should I also go to the doctor? What can he do? Will I die soon now?

moonwhistle

Tung's Hair Stylist
I think this is repeat of a very similar thread by the OP. Ignoring how stupid this is for a minute. Sat, do you not feel a little ghoulish that your main concern is the state of random old plastic junk and not the health of living things?

Anything you imported from Japan post meltdown should ideally be stored in a lead lined gaming bunker and only viewed through welding goggles.

sat985

Quiz Detective
I clearly stated it did not measure alpha. Most countries do not scan shipments through customs. There has actually been a effort to avoid this as to not hurt the already fragile world economy.

As to what you should do, well I wouldn't buy any more shit from there. Learn what types and how its spread. For example, if you did have particulate on the ngpc and after you played it decided to make dinner. Maybe it's in your kitchen or you ingested some. Maybe you decided to play a PAL sega and now it's on the controller. You never know. My point is this: When truth is scarier than fiction many people avoid the topic or directly argue in the face of facts to console themselves. To make them feel better. It's human psychology at it's finest.

I thought i'd revisit the topic after time passed, maybe it could be a more civil discussion. As for the living, well they're worth less than nothing to me for the simple fact their arrogance, stupidity, and complicity has led to food, electronics, cars, and other imports being shipped around the globe to innocent people so that they can cling to their usual lifestyle. I mean what kind of piece of shit sells fukushima produce across the country under the table where it go's into children's school lunches? Personally I have no moral objection to the ICC in hague dealing with them harshly.

Last edited:

Lemony Vengeance

Mitt Romney's Hairdresser,
question for you sat985.

Do you have a bunker in your back yard? how thick is the shielding? Also, how much radiation does your microwave output? Alpha or gamma?

have you stopped eating pacific seafood as well?

also, do you use a cell phone? you may not want to use it as it outputs radiation as well.

Last edited:

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Owns cab.

Sits 5 inches from the screen.

Worried about radiation half a planet away.

sat985

Quiz Detective
lol Well cell phones and crt's are quite a different thing. Anyway I started the thread to get a idea of what peoples thoughts were on this (and I was thinking of buying a couple aes carts from US members in the future, helps to know who's clueless and who's been buying shit from Japan:D)

In the end to each his own. It never hurts to share ideas and knowledge, it's how the world has advanced this far.

And no I don't eat anything out of the pacific. I use to love some Alaskan Salmon, but after hearing about the majority of them being deformed/mutated from hot particles I think i'll pass. The last time I had some salmon was in Europe, and it was caught in the Atlantic!

bubba966

Cinema Ninja!,
So, this is the box of a package I got today from Okazaki, Japan...

Movieon2014-02-21at1418_zps059232a0.gif

I tried licking it, and it didn't taste like radiation. Just tasted like cardboard. So I think I'm fine...

theMot

Reformed collector of junk
10 Year Member
Sat, I actually agree with you. I think people downplaying it being naive. The Japanese government needs to remove control of that power plant from the company running it and put it in the hands of an international team to handle it. Problem is the Japanese being japanese are too embarresed to do it.

We're an earthquake away from a major major major disaster that would wipe out billions of people across the planet.

sat985

Quiz Detective
Ya I think a ultimatum should be issued to the japanese government: Turn over control to a International team or else. Sure we are in many countries fucking them over, but the sad fact is Japan's leaders are the #1 threat to the security of the planet. We should wipe those fuckers out with a vengeance. If they try to run here when things collapse, they will not be....welcomed....