Over Horizon - NES/Famicom shoot-em-up!

Voultar

I give zero fucks about my customers
Has anyone here enjoyed this little jewel? It was developed/released by Hot-B in Japan and Europe and never made it to the States, unfortunately.

This game has an outstanding soundtrack and super responsive controls. It borrows a lot from the traditional 80's Konami shooters. But it's all done very nicely. It's certainly a looked over game. I recommend it to anyone and everyone.

Last edited:

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
That looks superb. I've never played it but will definitely check it out the next time I fire up my NES.

Voultar

The end-stage bosses are brilliantly done. This game really surprised me in just about every respect. It has enough of flavor to carry its own weight as more than just a Gradius clone.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Really solid game. I especially like the ability to customize your options/pods positions. Great for tweaking to your own personal shooting-style.
I also like the sprite-art, it's minimalist but still has a good amount of detail, but holds a clarity and cleanliness that most games of that era tend to muddle up.

Voultar

The fact that you can shoot behind your craft is another great little feature of the game.

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Holy shit, it takes 42 minutes to clear this game? I can barely play for 5 before Game Over.

pegboy

Armored Scrum Object
I've got it, and until now I've never heard anyone talk about it before. As far as NES/FC shmups go this is one of the better ones.

PunkicCyborg

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
It's a really sweet game. I love how you can go into the options menu and there's a grid where you can position your options wherever you want on the screen and test them out. Really neat feature

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
I converted Over Horizon to run on GBA using PocketNES. Is it within the rules to share a mega.co link to the rom here?

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
OK, here is my big PocketNES GBA collection: https://mega.co.nz/#!QU9XzaJL!s52vqgjKcjNwmO9D57_-xGYK8chOyRPUu4AMvsdBlLQ

Over Horizon is in "NES N-Q v2.gba" and "NES Shooters M-Z.gba" in the Game Series Collections folder. I think that the shooters A-Z packs have pretty much every NES shmup (along with some hacks like Recca Pure, etc). Tested w/EZ4. Over Horizon runs at 60FPS :D

Press L+R in-game to access the PocketNES menu for: restart (return to game-select menu), exit (reboot GBA), auto-fire, etc.

Last edited:

Electric Grave

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
15 Year Member
Thanks for sharing but the link immediately asks for a decryption key.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
If you like Over Horizon, try out Steel Empire. It was made by the same studio/publisher Hot-B. Came out originally on the Mega Drive, and has been ported to the GBA and 3DS (recently).

Solid game as well, backwards shooting ability like Over Horizon, but with a nice steam-punk look ala Progear stylings. Some of the stage intros is a total copy of the opening ship launching out of Progear. :)

andsuchisdeath

General Morden's Aide
20 Year Member
Some of the stage intros is a total copy of the opening ship launching out of Progear. :)

Yeah, those Hot-B guys traveled into the future to 2001 to copy Progear then went back to 1992 and put it in Steel Empire.

Anyways, Over Horizon is ok.

opt2not

Genam's Azami Sharpener
10 Year Member
Yeah, those Hot-B guys traveled into the future to 2001 to copy Progear then went back to 1992 and put it in Steel Empire.

Anyways, Over Horizon is ok.

Well, shit...it's the other way around then! ;)

SmokeMonster

Morden's Lackey
OK, here is my big PocketNES GBA collection: https://mega.co.nz/#!QU9XzaJL!s52vqgjKcjNwmO9D57_-xGYK8chOyRPUu4AMvsdBlLQ

Over Horizon is in "NES N-Q v2.gba" and "NES Shooters M-Z.gba" in the Game Series Collections folder. I think that the shooters A-Z packs have pretty much every NES shmup (along with some hacks like Recca Pure, etc). Tested w/EZ4. Over Horizon runs at 60FPS :D

Press L+R in-game to access the PocketNES menu for: restart (return to game-select menu), exit (reboot GBA), auto-fire, etc.
Someone took down my PocketNES pack, so here once again is a fixed link: https://mega.nz/#!MVtG3SjS!s52vqgjKcjNwmO9D57_-xGYK8chOyRPUu4AMvsdBlLQ
And here is a mirror if that goes down: https://firedrop.com/a07120e64761fcdc

Last edited: