Ong Bak

endgamer

Another Striker
Ong Bak. Saw this one back in August in Japan. Wanted to see it bad enough that I paid the two ticket price one normally pays on any night here in the US. Anyway Ong Bak has some good action especially since it's the "real" deal. Story is your usually but the action is where it's at. excited that Drunken Master 3 will be with Tony Jaa and Jackie Chan.

kobylka68

Basara's Blade Keeper
Yeah I saw it back in Japan as well and I really liked it. I wonder how it will be recieved here. Great movie with some cool action.

Dash no Chris

Jaguar Ninja,
My sister and I caught a matinee of Ong Bak -- fekking brilliant. Everyone should get out and see this flick right now.

Now I need to see if the local Japanese video rental shop has a copy of Mach!!!.

--Chris

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Decided to bump an old thread because I had a question about Ong Bak. Can anyone confirm that it was edited in the US release? I saw it in the theaters, thought it was fantastic. Then the other day I watched my friends chinese bootleg version, and it had a couple scenes which i didn't remember. Specifically all the scenes that I didnt remember seemed to have to do with an underlying (although very weak, which is probably why they cut it) storyline between the high pitched screaming biznitch and the drug od'ing prostitute. Was this really cut out of the US release, or am I just hallucinating?

Kirk Foiden

James Tiberius,
I wonder if there's any chance of this showing up near Maryland, any time soon. I really want to see the movie after hearing so many word-of-mouth praises of the action. The website puts the exact words I want to see on it.

No computer effects, no special effects, all real footage.

In a time where things blur between a good martial artist and a martial artist wannabe, because they both end up doing films with all those computer effects that can make (anybody) look good; it's about time I see the real deal again.

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Kirk Foiden said:
I wonder if there's any chance of this showing up near Maryland, any time soon. I really want to see the movie after hearing so many word-of-mouth praises of the action. The website puts the exact words I want to see on it.

In a time where things blur between a good martial artist and a martial artist wannabe, because they both end up doing films with all those computer effects that can make (anybody) look good; it's about time I see the real deal again.

Your best bet will probably to try to rent it or buy it when it is released on dvd. It's US theatrical run is pretty much over, although it may pop up at some obscure independent theater. I give it my highest recommendation, its up there with the best martial arts films I have ever seen. I have yet to talk to anyone that has not liked the film.

Mike Shagohod

Stray Dog Grunt
20 Year Member
Kirk Foiden said:

Buy ONG BAK on DVD here!

Freckin' movie is simply awesome. Saw it a few weeks ago on a droog's DVD he lent me, but it was evident the DVD must have been off of a Bit Torrent Download or something, because the final showdown had transfer distortions that I've only ever seen from downloadable content not from a scratched disc or anything. I honestly didn't know it was supposed to be in American Theatres... now I feel gipped. :( One of the most brutal no bullshit films I've seen in the martial arts genre, also packed with lots of comedy. I wonder if I'm the only one that thinks that the bald headed charcter "Dirty Balls" looks and even has the same mannerisms as the monk character CHERRY in Urusei Yatsura???

MERCENARY X99

Nakoruru

Zero's Tailor
Nakoruru said:
Decided to bump an old thread because I had a question about Ong Bak. Can anyone confirm that it was edited in the US release? I saw it in the theaters, thought it was fantastic. Then the other day I watched my friends chinese bootleg version, and it had a couple scenes which i didn't remember. Specifically all the scenes that I didnt remember seemed to have to do with an underlying (although very weak, which is probably why they cut it) storyline between the high pitched screaming biznitch and the drug od'ing prostitute. Was this really cut out of the US release, or am I just hallucinating?

So no one knows if this is true or not?

EDIT: Ok, I guess Luc Besson did a re-cut of the movie, does anyone know if this is what the U.S. version is?

Last edited:

dragonwillow

Ghost of Captain Kidd
Well, they're sisters, and the OD girl raised the younger girl. That's about it. I saw the Thai version.