Omega MVS Cartridge Shells: Kickstarter Now Live!

jeff bogard

Yamazaki's Wingman,
20 Year Member
we need to see this more on the twitterverse... ill feature it on my next stream

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
People tend to get overly carried away with rewards for pledges. That stuff costs a lot. It costs to purchase/produce and it costs to mail. Underestimating the costs associated with all that free chicken can end up jeopardizing the real project once Amazon and Kickstarter take their cut of the proceeds. He only priced the shells at $15 each. Realistically just how expensive a carrot can he afford to bait additional interest before he is going to need to sell even more shells just to cover all that extra pledge reward support?

Same goes for overly fancy pledge levels. At the end of the day the total for that pledge level needs to not only cover the cost of the fancy rewards at that pledge tier, it still needs to actually contribute meaningfully to the actual Kickstarter goal of paying for the mold production and setup costs.[/URL]

Well of course, but all of that is taken into account in each individual reward level. You're not giving away any free chicken, people are pledging and receiving goods that did not cost the full amount that they pledged. %50 of $8000 received for non-cartridge rewards will contribute a lot more to those production costs than %100 of the $0 that is being contributed in that way now.
But that's one reason why I said a Relaunch, because the campaign would have to be reworked with a slightly higher goal to account for pledges not going %100 towards set up fees.

Simpler things can be done too of course to give the campaign a push, there should at a bare minimum be options to acquire 2, 3, 5, or 8 cartridges for instance. Not everyone can spring for 10 but they may be able to raise their commitment to 5 for instance, or even 2, upgraded pledges make a huge difference. That and some big fat investment levels for those that really want to throw in for this with some significant, or at least fitting rewards, people do this stuff because it works, simple as that, and I just want to see this whole project work.

And any awesome homebrew projects for the Neo community really.

krautcroissant

Living it LARGE!,
Finally got my ass round to registering on kickstarter and pledged the 135.

I probably won't really need these as I like the og shells with a converter on my AES. But if I had a CMVS, I'd be all over those.... hence I am happy to give some support as this is a cool project! Good luck!

90s

This is the hand that launched a thousand batches.
Its too bad it didn't work out. I will be on board again if you give it another shot sometime.

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
Is there any way to get a cheaper mold while still maintaining the quality of the mold?

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
($15 x 1500 = $22,500) This is what was posted in the comments of the kickstarter, now assuming that this price includes shipping, kickstarter fees, man hours etc. let's look at a pricing structure like this instead. Brace Yourself.

$1 - High Five
-------------
A big thanks from all of us here at Arcade Works for helping us make this happen, and for supporting classic arcade gaming!

$10 - Radical High Five
-------------
A special signed and numbered thank you card from Arcade Works for showing your love for the Neo Geo and helping us make something great, and your name in the Contributor section on the website forever!

$25 - Shiny New Shell
-------------
One brand spankin new Arcade Shock neo shell with a custom printed vinyl label (Any game and art you like! Just send it to us.) a signed and numbered commemorative card from Arcade Works, and your name in the contributor section of the website forever.

$45 - Heavy Machine Gun
-------------
THREE brand new Arcade Shock neo shells, each with their own custom printed vinyl label! (With the artwork you provide!) As well as the signed and numbered thank you and your name enshrined as a contributor on the arcadeshock site.

$85 - Flame Shot
-------------
SIX brand new Arcade Shock shells! Shell up the whole Metal Slug series or all the GOOD KoF games in one fell swoop! (Whichever ones those are is up to you!) Each printed with there own custom high quality vinyl labels (your art) and ready to spiff up your shelf. You'll also receive the signed and numbered card and your name in the Contributor page!

$135 - Enemy Chaser
-------------
TEN brand spankin new Arcade Shock shells! Get a head start on retrofitting your collection and REALLY help us out on making this dream a reality! Not only will you beautifully custom printed labels for all TEN (your art) but everyone at this tier or higher will receive the lowest numbered thank you cards and a special thank you certificate for your contributions to the project, as well as have your name in the "Special Thanks" section of the contributors page.

$220 - Super Shot Gun
------------
TWENTY Brand new beautifully labeled shells for your, soon to be extra magnificent, collection as well as one of the lowest numbered thank you cards, the thank you certificate, and your name in the "Special Thanks"

$500 - Rocket Launcher
------------
FIFTY Brand new beautifully labeled shells, thank you, you magnificent bastard you. You'll also get the same spiffy thank you bits as the last two tiers of course.

$950 - Mobile Satellite
------------
ONE HUNDRED magnificent shells! ONE HUNDRED custom printed labels! Look at you! You're beautiful! You'll get the low numbered thank you cards, the certificate, and your name will be in the "Magnificent Beneficent" section of the contributor page.

$1600 - The New Challenger (Limited Edition Neo Geo Starter Kit!) only 3 available
------------
New to Neo Geo? Mind blown by all this awesome amazing and really want to get started collecting and experiencing these wonderful pieces of gaming history? At this level you will receive everything you need to get started on an awesome Neo collection and more! You will receive a hand assembled Limited Edition Commemorative Omega CMVS with TWO controllers and TWO classic Neo Geo MVS games in our brand new shells! Complete with custom printed labels and Shock Boxes with custom printed matching inserts! This is the full package, everything you need to play and fall in love with the Neo Geo. Join the scene and help introduce a great new way to collect it at the same time!

$6000 - The SNK Final Boss
-------------
SIX HUNDRED AND SIXTY SIX EVIL OMEGA SHELLS and your name forever enshrined with a special letter of thanks from the whole team in your own private "FINAL BOSS" section of the Contributors page. Hoard your evil shells or sell your evil shells, but either way there will never be any denying that you are completely overpowered and the only one worthy of being the truly final boss.
And thank you dark master, for all that you have done for us.

The price for only a single cart was raised dramatically because it doesn't contribute enough to the overall shell count and you'll need the extra money so those pledges still make a difference. This may all seem like a lot, but on kickstarter that isn't a lot at all, and it's not even getting into the REALLY money pulling options like partnering with NGDEV to make an extremely limited 5 copy print run of Gunlord OMEGA EDITION hand signed by NGDEV in your new shells and sold for $1500 each or something.

This is how kickstarter does it's beautiful beautiful thing. Take my ideas, they are free, and I will even contribute again to boot!

(Also arcade works, build a new web site bros, even just a simple one.)

Last edited:

Pope Sazae

Known Scammer, DO NOT DEAL WITH!, The Management.,
What in the world could be done with 666 shells? Get triples of all your games including bootlegs/hacks?

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
That's a pretty rockin' breakdown jonmkl. I'll definitely use that if I do another kickstarter.

I think 666 shells should go towards all independent/homebrew releases. Neo Geo games are the Devil's playthings.

Jonmkl

Rasputin's Rose Gardener
Glad you like, and glad to help! I love these sorts of projects, especially for the Neo.

Don't forget to appeal to non collectors and general backers that want to support arcade history, and if possible add an additional "Merch" level with posters or other SNK stuff for the SNK fans that don't own MVS games.

grips03

Krauser's Shoe Shiner
not sure if possible, but perhaps add top donors names / screen name to inside of cart shell.

Also did you ask NGDev and AI if they would sponsor? Did they have any asks?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
AI produces their own mvs cart shells and NG: DEV is their customer.

Dark Sakul

Marked Wolf
Its too bad, those Omega carts look awesome.

I hate to see them quit now, maybe they can try again in a few months?

SNKorSWM

So Many Posts
No Time
For Games.
10 Year Member
It wasn't just a few bucks shy of the goal. As it stands, he'd have to cut the cost of manufacture by 5/6 to make it work.

EvilMike

Guerilla Warrior
20 Year Member
Plastic injection molding needs to be done in Asia. U.S. just isn't practical. (I used to work for an action figure manufacturer)

Only problem is Shadow would have to make at least 3000 per run maybe more. (and that is per color)

Last edited:

ysselcneogeo

Fio's Quartermaster
10 Year Member
Just throwing this out here. Omega shells should be the only shells used for any future neogeo produced homebrew and indie games. I like them more than anything i've seen! Plus it saves old shells from getting saced.

NeoHomeBrew

Overtop Pathfinder
Why not selling the prototypes? How much are the costs of a prototype shell and how durable is the used material?

p413j316

Crazed MVS Addict
Shadow, do you have an update on any future plans for this project? Aside from 3000, do you have a number in mind that may convince you to proceed with the project? Finally, do you have a sign-up list of people who will commit to purchasing x units?

I would be interested in 10 if you decide to create a sign-up list.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
It's been shelved until I can get it populated with some original content rather than relying on enough people wanting to reshell their existing carts. If there is enough demand for empty shells, 1500 pieces @ $15 each is still the magic number. I can get a lower quantity but the price goes up accordingly. If I do a sign up again, it'll have to be prepaid. Too many people didn't follow through with the soft commitment the last time around. The free label printing service won't be available this time around unless enough people work together to put out artwork for at least 1 per neo-geo title available.