Nintendo Red Tent Owners - Questions For You

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
I've come across a good deal for a tent cab, and I wanted to know if anyone here has modded one of these for use with other NES titles that weren't originally offered in the VS library.

I thought about doing a Mame style project that would only play NES games, but to my knowledge this cabinet doesn't use the standard Jamma wiring(or does it?)

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone here has taken on this kind of project with their red tent cab.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Xavier

Orochi's Acolyte
20 Year Member
I've come across a good deal for a tent cab, and I wanted to know if anyone here has modded one of these for use with other NES titles that weren't originally offered in the VS library.

I thought about doing a Mame style project that would only play NES games, but to my knowledge this cabinet doesn't use the standard Jamma wiring(or does it?)

Anyway, I wanted to know if anyone here has taken on this kind of project with their red tent cab.

Any feedback or advice would be greatly appreciated!

Winthout looking it up on klov.com I think it only plays vs. games and I can only think of maybe four of them. Turn into into a players choice, there a ton of games on that system. One day I want a tabletop playerschoice machine.

Vs games excitebike, super mario brothers, duck hunt.hmm...

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
So there are people that have turned these red tents into players choice cabs??

I have a jamma-fied playchoice :buttrock:

never heard of someone putting one in a red tent though

Last edited:

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
You mean this?

VSTennis.jpg

I never knew they were called a Tent. That's the one at FunSpot with Tennis in it. I'm pretty sure you can put in other Vs. games into the machine. I was watching a subtitled episode of Game Center CX and one of the arcades had a tent with Ice Climbers in it, so it might just work on the same hardware the other Vs. games ran on. If you can make it into a Playchoice, that would be a good idea, unless you have Tennis for four players. The control takes getting used to, but it's a lot of fun with three friends.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Put Play Choice games in, but don't destroy anything to un-vs-ify it. Those Vs. machines are fairly rare and fucking awesome.

jsjesse

Marked Wolf
Well, I am gonna keep it stock and just try to track down games for this sucker.

A mame nes project can be done, but with all the work and hacking it would totally defile the cabinet.

I'll keep you guys updated.

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
screw stock, convert it to a playchoice-10 and you could have 10 games on each side:buttrock:
But the Vs games are special and so is the cabinet. There's nothing else quite like it in Nintendo history. Don't mangle this fine collector's piece.

caldwert

Mr. Big's Thug
15 Year Member
That blkdog7 guy is over on KLOV.com's messageboard. I'd probably leave it as a Vs. cabinet since some versions of Vs games vary from their NES counterparts. Actually if you ask around at KLOV, I'm sure they can fill you in on Vs. systems.

voodoodoctorx

Big Bang Pro Wrestler
But the Vs games are special and so is the cabinet. There's nothing else quite like it in Nintendo history. Don't mangle this fine collector's piece.

Is it special? I guess that i always just thought of the Vs system as the predecessor to the Playchoice-10. Really, outside of being able to play 4p in a few games it’s basically just an ugly one slot Playchoice. That graphic above is from a Nintendo kit designed to convert Vs machines to Playchoice-10’s, and from the looks of things it doesn’t require adding any extra buttons to the panel or otherwise mangling the cab. So I really don’t see it the same way as when someone drills holes in a MVS panel to play cps II games. I just wonder if 2 playchoice mobo's will actually fit in the thing.

Last edited:

Neo Alec

Warrior of the Innanet
20 Year Member
Is it special? I guess that i always just thought of the Vs system as the predecessor to the Playchoice-10. Really, outside of being able to play 4p in a few games it’s basically just an ugly one slot Playchoice. That graphic above is from a Nintendo kit designed to convert Vs machines to Playchoice-10’s, and from the looks of things it doesn’t require adding any extra buttons to the panel or otherwise mangling the cab. So I really don’t see it the same way as when someone drills holes in a MVS panel to play cps II games. I just wonder if 2 playchoice mobo's will actually fit in the thing.
Yes, the games are very special. They play differently than their NES counterparts, and the Vs cab was the only way to play them.

Moon Jump

Alfred Garcia's Butler
The Vs. Games are much different then the games that came out on the NES. Vs. Super Mario Brothers has different stage layouts and in Vs. Duck Hunt you play one round of ducks, then the skeet shooting and you get a rapid fire round with a bunch of ducks and you have to avoid shooting the dog. I took a video of me shooting the dog at FunSpot and nobody seemed to care. I really wish Nintendo would offer some of the Vs. games on the Virtual Console.