New neogeoforlife.com goes live

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
I finally finished work on the new site and am pretty much happy with things, so it is now online for real! The old URL still points to the old site right now (and will do for the next day or two until the new DNS resolves), but for now guys:

www.ng4l.com

Please be sure to read my latest news post completely as that talks about what I'm doing with the site from now on, but after that if you have any questions or comments then please let me know here! Hopefully you all enjoy the new site! :buttrock:

Also, please remember that my neogeoforlife.com email might not be working for the next few days, so please try to avoid contacting me in that way as I might not get your mail!

Kaz

k'_127

NeoGumby's Sycophant,
20 Year Member
wow .... huge improvement. I dig the new design.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
k'_127 said:
wow .... huge improvement. I dig the new design.

Thanks man... I also wanted to mention one other thing: no more popups, and temporarily no ad banners at all :buttrock:. I really appreciated all the hosting I got previously, but this is one definite advantage to hosting the site myself!

Kaz

LWK

Earl of Sexyheim
20 Year Member
I seriously wish I could make my own layout like that for deadlyrave.com.. I wanna convert the site into a general reviews site, but I dont want to build each page from scratch, any reccomendations?

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Originally I used a template made by someone, who now has that same template up for download at his site, along with a couple of others. I took the template, modified it a lot to make it suit my purposes, and then converted my site over to it. You could maybe do the same, if you look at the links he has on his affiliates page, there are many other sites that provide free templates and even help on gfx etc, so I'd highly suggest looking at a few of them if you would prefer not to make a site from scratch yourself. If you modify one though, make sure to get permission from its author ;)

I did this because modifying the layout a bit, converting the site, adding new content, and doing all the other stuff I needed was already weeks of work (literally)... and I'm not the best at designing from scratch to be honest. If I can give you any help though, feel free to ask and I'll do what I can. How about trading links as a start? :)

Kaz

Robert

20 Year Member
Great works man, it's clear and not too long to DL with a 56K.

BTW, I like the idea of the Neo random image.

NeoCverA

RevQuixo. Who He?,
20 Year Member
Great work man! I know you spent a lot of time on this. Ofcourse, one of the first things I went to check was the Inserts section........you have broken links or perhaps have not finished? - When I click on the pages that pertain to the list of inserts I want I get a screenshot telling me im stupid.

:kekeke:

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
Yeah, as I mentioned in the full news update, the inserts are temporarily offline for various reasons, but I do intend to get them back online in the VERY VERY near future as it's one of my favourite sections :). It's mainly down to moving hosts and the fact that it will be quite a big upload to get them all back up there. It won't be long though!

Robert: good to know it loads fast with 56k, hopefully a lot better than the old site was because that had become very messy.

Thanks guys! :buttrock:

Kaz

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Top work, I bet your really chuffed with the final result! How long did it take in total to get the site finished mate? I think mine took about 6 months, which surprised me a little as I didnt think it would take that long

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
Top work, I bet your really chuffed with the final result! How long did it take in total to get the site finished mate? I think mine took about 6 months, which surprised me a little as I didnt think it would take that long

I think I slapped together an early design back in January just to see what a few of my friends thought about it, although I had been planning out what I wanted to do since late last year. I think the worst part was actually converting all the reviews over to the new format which took me weeks to finish... mainly down to my own bad planning when I originally put everything together into the previous design...lol.

Overall it did take WELL over a 100 hours, maybe more (and I was working on/off whenever I had some spare time), but I am really happy with it because although I was thankful for the stuff a friend of mine did on the old design and all the things he helped me with, the site had been the same for about 5 years now so it really was time for a change. Also the site has always had a lot of content, but it just hasn't been updated properly for a long time so it was about time I did something about that! :D

fatal fury fan #2: I suppose I really should do something about that... good point :). I will be working on some new reviews whenever I have time, as well as some other stuff, so I'll have to put that on my list of things to do!

Kaz

ps. djr, do you want me to add a link to your site on mine under retailer links? Always good to have more UK links on there!

Last edited:

Neo Gold

(no need to shout), Because Rot is Watching YOU!
Excellent... i like it lots, its very clear & easy on the eye...Top stuff!! :D

djrconsoles kr1

Astra Superstar
Kazuya_UK said:
ps. djr, do you want me to add a link to your site on mine under retailer links? Always good to have more UK links on there!

Kaz,
that would be brilliant, I would really appreciate that, and would happily return the favour with a link to your site on the item page stating the "if you want more info on this game follow this link" etc.
If you want to get this setup, PM me and we'll sort out the details,

Cheers bud :buttrock:
David

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
Very nice but going to take some getting used to...I am just stuck in a time warp you know :D
I went to the artwork section and I did'nt see a preview to the image I would be DL'ing,just a screenshot(?)

I'd also like to see the logo abit bigger and brighter,It kind of blends into the page imo.
-BB

Last edited:

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
djrconsoles kr1 said:
Kaz,
that would be brilliant, I would really appreciate that, and would happily return the favour with a link to your site on the item page stating the "if you want more info on this game follow this link" etc.
If you want to get this setup, PM me and we'll sort out the details,

Cheers bud :buttrock:
David

That would be cool! I'll be in touch tomorrow, it's late now and I have not long finished my shift at work so I'm heading straight to bed now :). I'll get a link added asap anyways!

BIG BEAR said:
Very nice but going to take some getting used to...I am just stuck in a time warp you know
I went to the artwork section and I did'nt see a preview to the image I would be DL'ing,just a screenshot(?)

That's actually a good idea, thanks for the suggestion. I had actually just ported over the old layout from the previous site and put it into those tables with a screenshot of the game in question, but I suppose it could do with being improved some more. I'll work on that :)

BIG BEAR said:
I'd also like to see the logo abit bigger and brighter,It kind of blends into the page imo.
-BB

That was intentional to be honest - buddhakun on my forums made that one, and we actually had some brighter logos originally, but they just didn't look quite right or mesh in with the site properly, whereas this one looks just right imho.

Thanks for the suggestions! :)

Kaz

BIG BEAR

SHOCKbox Developer,
20 Year Member
How about just a TAD larger,nix the brighter part :D
-BB

Big Shady

Kyukyogenryu Black Belt
15 Year Member
The new site is fantastic! Of course so was the old one too. A great source of information for all things NEO GEO. Thanks for putting together such a great site together for us NEO heads.

Kazuya_UK

NeoGeoForLife.com,
20 Year Member
BIG BEAR said:
How about just a TAD larger,nix the brighter part :D
-BB

I dunno, I must admit man I like it the way it is... guess we'l have to agree to disagree :)

Once again, thanks everyone for the kind words! :buttrock:

Kaz