New JP AES owner: Which power adapter do I need?

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Hello everyone!

I finally can be among the ranks here as I own a real Neo Geo AES machine. However, it comes with a Japanese AC Adapter. I know it's a later model Neo Geo as it uses the POW-3 AC Adapter, so I was wondering which power adapter can I use with it?

Thank you <3

So excited!

Xian Xi

JammaNationX,
15 Year Member
9v-13v capable of at least 2A is preferred with a negative tip polarity.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
9v-13v capable of at least 2A is preferred with a negative tip polarity.

Thanks for the quick reply! Although I'm pretty dumb, is there a good place to source that kinda thing on eBay?

Salamat po!

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
You do know the JPN power supply will work here in America as they run 100v. I have heard and seen genesis model one used. Not sure of the life expectancy is though

Last edited:

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
What games? I've never run into an issue, but I don't have a huge home cart collection either.

HeavyMachineGoob

My poontang misses Lenn Yang's wang
10 Year Member
Have any of those high meg games had audio problems (garbled sound)?

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
I just wanted to say thank you to Xian Xi for him taking the time to reply to this thread. I know it's an often asked question and a lot of people don't look around and search (including myself -- in my excitement!). So it's really cool that he just provided the info that he's probably done hundreds of times. Best of all, he did it without popping a capacitor! Searching for tutorials... i'm seeing his name everywhere o_O

I think i'll be picking up a SEGA Model 1 AC Adapter... Anyway I'm looking at getting the AES modded for S-Video/Component. As far as I understand, I need a Neobitz board to do it for about $40~ but the site redirects to some MVS carts on sale so maybe that's not for sure. I have a late model 130,000 unit so the RGB output is bad, the S-Video is bad, but the Component is good. However I did read that if I replace some capacitors for the Sony chip... the RGB output would be better? Eeek, lots to learn, lots to mod with an AES. Video out, Stereo out, yeesh!

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Last I saw, the Component NeoBitz board was a solid $100. Yes it would work great for Neo Geo component.

Also, why not just take stereo from the headphone jack? Headphone to stereo RCA cables are easy to get.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
They weren't kidding when they said the AES was super expensive to collect for XD

omg $100, maybe i'll get the cheap S-Video kit from JNX

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
You may also consider an external rgb to component transcoder.

skinny503

NAM-75 Vet
Why not just rock RGB? Get a scart cable and then a scart to component converter. If my memory is right I think you can get a scart cable for a genesis 1 or master system with a separate audio cable with a 3.5mm male headphone jack that you can plug it in the front of the console for stereo. Would be the same price as the neobitz. I would sell you mine since I went RGB, but I'm not desperate for money.......yet. Then factoring the commission to install the neobitz could possibly run you twice as much as a scart cable and a converter. Plus this way you can rock your other systems with scart RGB cables with the converter. I guess what im trying to say is the neobitz will only be for the AES and this way you can spread the love around to other systems lol.

Damn it gohan! Always post sniping me when I get up to get beer! you must be some crazy psychic digital ninja when I put my laptop down lol!

Last edited:

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
That's what I was thinking. I'm a broke college student so I've just been saving and saving and I couldn't resist seeing an AES on eBay, I don't know if I can afford anything else on top of it at the moment XD

Although, with those component converters I could use with my Saturn and stuffs. But I won't be able to get a lovely picture out of my CRTs :c

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
You can get a decent SCART to Component converter on eBay for $50. SCART cables for Neo Geo can be had for $10 - $15.

shadowkn55

Genbu's Turtle Keeper
15 Year Member
That's what I was thinking. I'm a broke college student so I've just been saving and saving and I couldn't resist seeing an AES on eBay, I don't know if I can afford anything else on top of it at the moment XD

That's how they hook you in. The system is cheap but the games will tear you apart.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Ya, the YUV one, black little box. I've seen it on videos a few years back when I was looking at how to get a better picture out of a Genesis/SNES

That's how they hook you in. The system is cheap but the games will tear you apart.

Haha, I was initially saving for a CMVS but I love the style of the AES so much. I was going to work my way up the cheapness ladder. It's really funny because i'm broke and i'm not even that much of a fan of fighting games. I hope one day to own Shock Troopers, Zed Blade / Operation Ragnarok, and of course Metal Slug, since those are what I was able to play using MAME.

For now i've got a ton (literally with those cart sizes!) of cheap fighting games to pick up. Fatal Fury 2, Fatal Fury: Garou Densetsu, Art of Fighting 2 (love the scaling). Then maybe Magician Lord.

I'm more a fan of Real Bout: Fatal Fury, and Art of Fighting 3 but i'm sure those cost a lot more. Plus King of Fighters '98. That thing is almost the cost of another AES XD

Last edited:

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
Most of the games you listed can be had for reasonable prices. By that I mean under $150, about the price of the AES console itself.

Weren't Shock Troopers 1 and Zedblade MVS exclusives? And an authentic Metal Slug 1 is impossible to find. Just get some conversions, if those are the only high end titles you want.

Rori

Crazed MVS Addict
Well I was hoping that i'd get one of those MVS-to-AES conversion carts that were sold on Indiegogo. Hopefully they have a larger run or something and I can do it that way. Or worse comes to worse, a conversion.

HeavyMachineGoob

10 Year Member
That would work too.

Thing is though, those conversions are forever "soiled" and unholy among collectors. If you can get them for cheap, might as well play them.