NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

geodude

n00b
There are two screws on the left side, the miniboard (which must be separated by popping off the joystick from the front), and two screws underneath the miniboard. Once those are all out, you need to pop the ports out from the plastic shell. I personally put the screwdriver underneath the board and gently push upwards while pulling port plastic away, once for each port to pop them out. Once that's done it's free.

Hah, mine came with only 1 screw underneath the miniboard :P

GohanX

Horrible Goose
20 Year Member
Yeah, the PS3 Neo sticks work, but the pads do not unfortunately.

Rodchan

n00b
So...this may not relate to hacking/mods, but curious though.

Manual says to not charge the neo geo X unless in the docking station. Well what if you want to charge it without the docking station?

Very curious. Also, I guess there is still no ways to find out if you have a 337 or a 370 without opening it correct?

Thanks!

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
So...this may not relate to hacking/mods, but curious though.

Manual says to not charge the neo geo X unless in the docking station. Well what if you want to charge it without the docking station?

Very curious. Also, I guess there is still no ways to find out if you have a 337 or a 370 without opening it correct?

Thanks!

The answers to those are everywhere! You can use a microUSB, and you find the firmware by pressing Menu in the Menu.

hatch

n00b
Hi,

Yes, there's an image of the SD card in circulation.

As far as I can tell, there is no theme.cfg you could use. Rather, on bootup a launcher app (/local/snk_desktop/snk_desktop.bin) is launched, thats using its own config stored in various files in /local/snk_desktop/config . There's a main_theme.cfg in there, but it seems to contain mostly specific values for the "SNK Desktop" app, e.g. which images to use as icons.

Once a game is selected within the Desktop app, "nxe.dge" stored in the same directory is launched. I have tried replacing it with other dge files, but this only leads to the console resetting.

I have a rev. 337 console at hand; PM me if you want to try a few things, I am good with Linux, but know little about the A380/Dingux.

Cheers,
Martin

(
Hi there! My account has just been activated so I can post. I'm one of the administrator of http://www.open-consoles.com/ .

We're wondering if someone managed to make an image of the content of the microSD ?
Is there a theme.cfg inside ?
Because it seems to work as the Dingoo A380 and Coccijoe from http://www.underground-portables.com/ knows the system quite well. He could be helpful.

Thanks for your work so far !

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
Perhaps it's a new members limitation.

Lads...

You have to wait a WEEK before you can acccess the pm system...

BAFelton was lucky.... French Ip.... i was sorta in 2 minds with teh button of power:D

xROTx

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
Angry youtube comment:

OldSchoolNYCGamer 4 seconds ago
This is what happens when Tommo steals a dev version on this emulator and tries to pass this off onto consumers and Playmore shit the bed on this one Luke.
I know this is the dev version of this emulator, my friend here in Arizona has the final working version on a handheld he's been woking on for over 8 months. It puts the Pandora to shame and it will br released next month.
This topic is all over the Dingonity forums about this and it's a shame for one they ripped off another Developer for

Wonder if we'd be able to swap out the emulator if the new one is apparently so much better?

hatch

n00b
Surprisingly, I cannot find any matching thread on the Dingoonity forums, even though this "topic is all over" them. Also, a new handheld developed in Arizona due to be out next month, developed in only 8 months, that's completely slipped the radar of the gaming community ....

Hm, not sure why "smelling fishy" comes to my mind ... ;)

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I was just taking the comment as the emulator being an out-of-date version. If the rest is serious perhaps it's related to that other handheld that uses the same CPU as the X?

Either way, wonder if it's possible to swap out the emulator file for a newer version of it.

I wanted to share some internal shots of my 370. I've since acquired a 337 and will begin helping out with the Linux efforts, starting with trying to make a USB 10/100 network adapter work and be able to spawn a shell.

3D88E375-FF09-47A8-80FE-AAA20EB98A07.jpg

5F6390F3-E5B1-4D6C-BDFF-242F2A5D5815JPG.jpg

87C3EE90-491B-4CC4-9F70-834E19F0D530.jpg

16125CBC-A5DE-48E9-B458-98E3ACC880FF.jpg

1469526E-D34D-4874-95BA-CEA47768E8C7.jpg

B2F579F1-3745-4706-A6AB-EE30FA0CC46D.jpg

B4695CFF-641F-4AEE-AC74-2AEAFBB9428C.jpg

F80D6599-56C4-42AB-AC74-BC119A9969DF.jpg

So another case where a 370 does not have the MicroSD card but a Samsung memory chip instead. I had to order a USB -> Ethernet adapter and it should be here next week. In the mean time I'll be playing with the 337 I have and looking through the system update file. I haven't discovered anything new there that others haven't already found. I also had to order a MicroSD adapter to use the micro card with my laptop. Once I get a dd of the full file system I'll be able to try and get a shell spawned.

... as a side note, thanks for activating my account today. This is the 3rd time I had to sign up because my account kept getting deleted somehow and not activated. I believe some people who are members here helped out via facebook. I wanted to thank those members personally, joining this community was by no means easy and was extremely frustrating. In any event, I'm glad to be here and finally able to post.

Last edited:

topher

Tesse's Maintainence Man
Glad to see you made it!

BTW, none of your pics are showing up :(

Last edited:
Thanks rot. I'm getting 404 errors from Dropbox now with your tag changes. Going to switch to a PC and not a tablet to see if maybe I can get a URL for the gallery rather than image spamming the thread.

slerch666

updyke,
Well I highly doubt Tommo will change anything for the better on this, but has anyone been letting them know about these problems?
Wrong resolution use
Video tearing (no VSYNC)
Controller sticking
No AES/MVS switching (Censored games)
Maybe if enough people complain...

Also, if people need SDCards (For whatever reason.. *hmm*)

Newegg.com 10% OFF ALL Flash Memory* (48 HOURS ONLY!)
BTEJHHF24
*Up to a maximum discount of $100 per order.
No minimum purchase required. Limit one use per customer;
may not be combined with other promo codes or combo discounts.
Expires at 11:59PM PST 12/25/2012 or SOONER based on fund availability.

I've sent an email to the sales email address on their website. The response came back that they are interested in fan feedback and they thanked me for all the things I recommended.

This was what I sent on the same day I wrote my review, before all the other stuff came out:

All that being said, some things I would like to see more information on or things I would like to see in general:

1) Please announce new game cards soon. I think that charging $10 a game may be a bit much, but if you put say, a collection of games (like Metal Slug 1-5, KoF in their respective "arcs" and say, Last Blade 1 and 2) on a single card for $20-$30 that would be acceptable.

2) Please add in the firmware the ability to tell the hand held to always default to 4:3 aspect ratio. Having to switch every time I go into the menu and choose a game is kind of annoying.

3) Please add in firmware the ability to map multiple buttons to say, the shoulder buttons. So if a game requires A+B+C+D to perform a move, allow us to map this function to the unused R1/R2 buttons

4) Why do I have to carry my dock with me to charge? I won't charge outside of the dock given all the disclaimers, but I will say that traveling with the hand held, which will require me to take the dock along, will be quite obnoxious.

5) Please add an ability to save games! Magician Lord is borderline customer brutality without being able to save! lol

6) Please add the ability to choose what BIOS my system uses. I don't want to be stuck with only 5 continues and also lose blood and Mai's "bounce" in my games. The ultimate would be to add the UNIBIOS functionality ( http://unibios.free.fr/ )

Their response:

Thanks a lot for your comments. They mean a lot to us. We are always continually looking to improve our products and we will send this superb feedback to our technical department.

Thanks again for your email someone from our team in the US will get back to you soon.

For the record, these are the addresses I sent my messages to:

support @ neogeox.com (response back was basically this is an unmonitored!? email account, despite it being the support email address... stupid)
sales @ neogeox.com (this is where I got my response from)

Despite them claiming someone will contact me, no one has other than this response.

nerdstick

Crossed Swords Squire
I dropped a spring on the floor and it magically disappeared forever! Until I find it.

I took the advice from earlier in the topic and tried cutting a pen spring. I had to use a middle-section cut on each end because both ends of the spring were tightly coiled taller than the button.
I don't know how one would 'compress' a spring, meaning that when re-assembled the end of the spring pushes up against the button (R2) rather than being completely even like the original spring would be, across the entire thing.

Downside: The button can't be pressed from the front, or straight down. It has to be pressed down from the back, by pushing down the end of the spring (at the back).

But on the upside, it's strangely..like a trigger! By pushing the button down (from the front/straight down), clicking it is a matter of simply applying some pressure backwards on it, it works exactly like a trigger button would. Harder to press in a hurry, but it's a bit more comfortable and doesn't 'wiggle' like the regular button would, it's a smooth slide and click.

Makes me wish that 'trigger buttons' like it existed in a form that wasn't so make-shift.

BloodShed

New Challenger
Finally, my account is approved! Long time Neo Geo fan/owner joining in on the Neo Geo X fun.

I have a 337 which was pre-ordered from Amazon. I wanted to mention that, after stock resupplied, I ordered a second one from Amazon a few days ago and I received another 337. So luck seems to be good with Amazon if anyone is still interested in buying one and wants the microSD.

I should also mention that, between the two models I purchased, they have vastly different quality screens. One of them has faint red lines across the screen and it's clearly a different screen model when I took it apart for comparison. I'm exchanging this one with Amazon. We'll see if the new one is also a 337.

The board design appears to be exactly the same for all versions. So, it should not be too hard to solder a microSD slot onto a 370. If anyone is interested in trying, you can purchase microSD connectors here: http://www.mouser.com/Connectors/Memory-Card-Connectors/_/N-72bz7?P=1yzxfxm

I have a question for the mods:
Would it be okay to post a dd image of the microSD card if I remove the ROMs? If not, is there anything else I can do to modify the image so that it's acceptable to post?

Here are some additional internal shots, click for the full-size image:

Last edited:
I've sent an email to the sales email address on their website. The response came back that they are interested in fan feedback and they thanked me for all the things I recommended.

This was what I sent on the same day I wrote my review, before all the other stuff came out:

Their response:

For the record, these are the addresses I sent my messages to:

support @ neogeox.com (response back was basically this is an unmonitored!? email account, despite it being the support email address... stupid)
sales @ neogeox.com (this is where I got my response from)

Despite them claiming someone will contact me, no one has other than this response.

I will be sending them the same thing, thank you. For Samurai Showdown 2 you can get blood by going into the menu and pressing all 4 buttons on exit and u get red blood. Maybe a sticky for all codes for the neo-geo x to get blood/uncensor the games that come with the system? I was Mai's bounce back! :-) I know they are posted but a consolidated list would be nice. Thank you everyone for your hard work so far. I would love to help as a low level programmer but don't know Linux.