NeoGeoX Hacking and Mods

SSS

neo retired
if i buy this portable is for play official releases by tommo, not for donwload many games to put in one sd card. if i want to play unofficial games from neo geo, i will not buy this console and i will play the games on my PC.

if the hackers can RUN games from mame its perfect. but not neo geo games.

your darling Tommo lifted the software that is on the Neo X. get over yourself.

SlickDizzy

Mr. Big's Thug
if i buy this portable is for play official releases by tommo, not for donwload many games to put in one sd card. if i want to play unofficial games from neo geo, i will not buy this console and i will play the games on my PC.

if the hackers can RUN games from mame its perfect. but not neo geo games.

Yeah buddy, Tommo is using unlicensed software on the NGX and they also include a PSX BIOS, which is SUPER illegal.

Go preach to someone who cares.

SSS

neo retired
I'm amused by the whole official Tommo release idea.

There's some chump at a Tommo production facility somewhere sitting in front of a filthy workstation browsing the net and downloading Neo roms. He runs them through a FBA conversion tool the company didn't make and is freely available to anyone. Probably walks the new files down the hall on a thumb drive to the production line.

BloodShed

New Challenger
THANK YOU FOR ALL STUPIDS HACKERS!!!
now tommo will not release official games...

WHO IS SO STUPID TO SPEND A LOT OF MONEY TO HACK THE SYSTEM TO PLAY UNOFFICIAL GAMES???
I think this is a silly accusation.

First of all, the Neo Geo X was released on December 18. I had mine pre-ordered since the beginning of October. But now here we are, a month after release, and Tommo can't even release any information. Are we getting more games? When are we getting more games? Which games? New games or old games? They've said NOTHING. We have no games to purchase! Tommo can't even confirm official releases, so what's being stopped?

Instead, you think hacking is the reason Tommo will never release any official games. What sense does that make? Even if you tried to claim that piracy will lead some owners toward never purchasing games (which I doubt). Why would Tommo prefer to sell NO games than SOME games??

carnicero27

Mega Shock!!
I think this is a silly accusation.

First of all, the Neo Geo X was released on December 18. I had mine pre-ordered since the beginning of October. But now here we are, a month after release, and Tommo can't even release any information. Are we getting more games? When are we getting more games? Which games? New games or old games? They've said NOTHING. We have no games to purchase! Tommo can't even confirm official releases, so what's being stopped?

Instead, you think hacking is the reason Tommo will never release any official games. What sense does that make? Even if you tried to claim that piracy will lead some owners toward never purchasing games (which I doubt). Why would Tommo prefer to sell NO games than SOME games??

you right! you are telling me ONE TRUTH AS BIG AS A TEMPLE.
near one month was release this machine and there is no news about future games and what titles. they only spends the time asking stupid questions on facebook like " who has finished metal slug? "
only i can see promises and more promises but no more.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
you right! you are telling me ONE TRUTH AS BIG AS A TEMPLE.
near one month was release this machine and there is no news about future games and what titles. they only spends the time asking stupid questions on facebook like " who has finished metal slug? "
only i can see promises and more promises but no more.

I've invited them to come play here...

Awaiting a reply... you never know, they may accept the offer... (I'm not holding my breath tho...)

xROTx

PS. Hey Carni_balls... no need to shout man... we can hear you alright without teh caps pal...

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Hello ack,
Works with Ubuntu CD Boot ?

You can try, but I kinda doubt it cause you need to install a number of packages related to compiling software. I don't know were they would install to if you were on a live cd.

-ack

Alucard69

n00b
Translation

I want some of that.
It is french spoken. I won't do a direct translation but just the main idea.
The guy is explaining that he used the External SD Card trick to build an SD full of roms. He is explaining that there is a maximum of 50 games supported.
You can see that he uses a key trick to open the bios setup, but he doesn' explain how.
After that he loads several games to show that there is no graphic bugs, or lag, or sound issues.
The video comes from a 337 firmware, but in the comments, he says that it is working with all firmwares.

Personnally, i did the manipulation on a 370, and it is working perfectly (i used the ConvertX Rom to load unibios inside).
I tested RBFFS, Garou, Pulstar, KOF 97, P.Bobble 2, Bomberman, and last blade 2.

Hope this will help you.

Bye

Viewpoint

Art of Typing Wiz, , ,
20 Year Member
I hope I can get this to run on my 370 and fuck anyone who bitches about it since I own most of those games on NGH format.

letep

n00b
Hi all, new here.

I have a 337 firmware model, I'm really enjoying the system overall.

Great work is being done here. Is there a specific tutorial for an SD slot fronted mod? I've been reading through this thread, but information is super scattered.

Tacitus

Volatile Memory Construct - SN://0467839
Staff member
I posted a wanted up, but figured I would also post it here.

I need a 337 unit w/ NM to do some more tinkering/experimentation. I think I've found a few very interesting things, but I need another unit and game card to cross-reference. Basically, I need an unaltered/untinkered with unit.

If anyone wants to help me out or loan me theirs, I'll share my work and information with them. I'd do this myself offline, but I need to guarantee that I'll get a 337 unit.

Rot

Calvin & Hobbes, ,
I posted a wanted up, but figured I would also post it here.

I need a 337 unit w/ NM to do some more tinkering/experimentation. I think I've found a few very interesting things, but I need another unit and game card to cross-reference. Basically, I need an unaltered/untinkered with unit.

If anyone wants to help me out or loan me theirs, I'll share my work and information with them. I'd do this myself offline, but I need to guarantee that I'll get a 337 unit.

Just in case any of you newer guys are wondering if it's safe to do this.

I'd trust this man with my balls and life. I'd happily vouch for Mr Whitefolks.

xROTx

PS. Notice no ellipses to signify the seriousness of the above statement.

Tacitus

Staff member
I'd like to keep any devices "on loan" to known/longtime/trustable members.

This is as much protection for myself as a new member. I don't want to take a risk with a new member who is unverifiable and I also want to ensure no no new members take a "risk" with their device or are without it for an indeterminate amount of time. I won't keep it, but if you're expecting it back in a week, it's probably going to take longer than that.

I've loaned and been lent many items/hardware/software over the years both here and on other arcade forums. If you need references, I can supply a lot.

I'd prefer to buy the unit for obvious reasons.

Tacitus

Staff member
BTW, I think there may be minor differences between both the data on the cards and the units themselves. I'm not sure, but I've had a few people image their units and cards and some of the hashes aren't matching up. This is expected on the units, but not the cards, even before playing with them. I'd like to eliminate the possibility of dumping errors, hardware differences and user error.

I also have a sneaking suspicion as to WHY the differences are occurring, I just can't prove it yet and I'm not 100% on it.

Either way, it would be at least a minor breakthrough. I'm trying to be spartan on the details because I don't want to make a false assumption or stupid claim and see it become "fact".. I'm not trying to be coy or secretive. If it is what I think it is, I will absolutely release it.

/rant

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
BTW, I think there may be minor differences between both the data on the cards and the units themselves. I'm not sure, but I've had a few people image their units and cards and some of the hashes aren't matching up. This is expected on the units, but not the cards, even before playing with them. I'd like to eliminate the possibility of dumping errors, hardware differences and user error.

I also have a sneaking suspicion as to WHY the differences are occurring, I just can't prove it yet and I'm not 100% on it.

I can tell you that my ninjam card dumped on a pc is md5 d30b280d6ca0cbf5c8f64aa6c7572f6e (scrambled), and when dumped on the ngx itself is md5 9cbfc9e0082b143d9e9550368b5d013f (unscrambled).

The game card is being mounted read/write so there could be minor differences being caused by that. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were newer reversions of the ninjam card that correct the bad partition table.

As you mentioned the internal sd image dumps wont match up 100%, 2 of the filesystems on the card are being mounted read/write and one of them is used for storing the config bits.

Either way, it would be at least a minor breakthrough. I'm trying to be spartan on the details because I don't want to make a false assumption or stupid claim and see it become "fact".. I'm not trying to be coy or secretive. If it is what I think it is, I will absolutely release it.

You can still share your finding without stating they are a "fact". By sharing data its allows others to possibly see something you aren't or they could even save you from wasting your time by showing you something isn't possible.

-ack

Tacitus

Staff member
I can tell you that my ninjam card dumped on a pc is md5 d30b280d6ca0cbf5c8f64aa6c7572f6e (scrambled), and when dumped on the ngx itself is md5 9cbfc9e0082b143d9e9550368b5d013f (unscrambled).

Thank you for posting that. I don't have my txt files sitting in front of me, but will compare. Can you also get me the SHA-1 values? Dump them with FTK Imager if you can and send me the info file on the dumps.

The game card is being mounted read/write so there could be minor differences being caused by that. I also wouldn't be surprised if there were newer reversions of the ninjam card that correct the bad partition table.

I know, but two "newly unboxed" ones differed. I don't think it's "bad" because it's bad, I think they did that as a trivial security measure for copying. I won't bore you to death with the minutia of file system specifics and design.

As you mentioned the internal sd image dumps wont match up 100%, 2 of the filesystems on the card are being mounted read/write and one of them is used for storing the config bits.

I understand that, but all of them didn't match. I'm just trying to narrow it down specifically and understand why, exactly, it is.

You can still share your finding without stating they are a "fact". By sharing data its allows others to possibly see something you aren't or they could even save you from wasting your time by showing you something isn't possible.

You don't need to lecture me on the virtues of collaboration. I have several reasons why I'm going about this the way I am. Anything I feel comfortable getting out there, will be released and commented on.

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Thank you for posting that. I don't have my txt files sitting in front of me, but will compare. Can you also get me the SHA-1 values? Dump them with FTK Imager if you can and send me the info file on the dumps.

These are the sha1 of the original images
c72381101804adeb819ca8ae417c1d713fc9bbea ngx-ninjam.img
484304aa9c25f2a583770609c59912bd9bb90da1 pc-ninjam.img

This is the ftk dump output
Code:
Physical Evidentiary Item (Source) Information:
[Device Info]
 Source Type: Physical
[Drive Geometry]
 Cylinders: 1001
 Heads: 3
 Sectors per Track: 43
 Bytes per Sector: 512
 Sector Count: 129152
 Source data size: 63 MB
 Sector count:    129152
[Computed Hashes]
 MD5 checksum:    d30b280d6ca0cbf5c8f64aa6c7572f6e
 SHA1 checksum:   484304aa9c25f2a583770609c59912bd9bb90da1

-ack

Tacitus

Staff member
These are the sha1 of the original images
c72381101804adeb819ca8ae417c1d713fc9bbea ngx-ninjam.img
484304aa9c25f2a583770609c59912bd9bb90da1 pc-ninjam.img

This is the ftk dump output
Code:
Physical Evidentiary Item (Source) Information:
[Device Info]
 Source Type: Physical
[Drive Geometry]
 Cylinders: 1001
 Heads: 3
 Sectors per Track: 43
 Bytes per Sector: 512
 Sector Count: 129152
 Source data size: 63 MB
 Sector count:    129152
[Computed Hashes]
 MD5 checksum:    d30b280d6ca0cbf5c8f64aa6c7572f6e
 SHA1 checksum:   484304aa9c25f2a583770609c59912bd9bb90da1

-ack

Thanks man, I'll add that.

Can you get the individual partitions also?

Can a few other people do the same?
EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU'RE MOUNTING IT AS READ ONLY!

Last edited:

Lan Di

War Room Troll
WOW! That guy needs to be a surgeon! Such small wire and parts requires some steady hands.

I just took apart 2 different mico SD card adapters (Sandisk and Radio Shack brand "Gigaware") and they both have the plastic molded onto the pins. The guy over at that French Neo Geo X forum claimed to have used an "old dane elec" SD adapter. I'm pretty sure most newer micro SD card adapters have the plastic molding around the pins, making the mod damn near impossible with newer SD adapters.
SDadapter_zps9cc3e503.jpg

BloodShed

New Challenger
I just took apart 2 different mico SD card adapters (Sandisk and Radio Shack brand "Gigaware") and they both have the plastic molded onto the pins. The guy over at that French Neo Geo X forum claimed to have used an "old dane elec" SD adapter. I'm pretty sure most newer micro SD card adapters have the plastic molding around the pins, making the mod damn near impossible with newer SD adapters.
That's exactly the same type of adapter that I modified. It can be done. I provided pictures of it and some recommendations earlier in the thread. You need to cut out the center resin/plastic to make some room (the bar across the middle).

BloodShed

New Challenger
So, as it turns out, I have access to two microSD cards from two different NGX units. I already created a dd image of one. I haven't modified either card, I cloned the first one onto a spare microSD and I've been using that one instead.

However, I couldn't remember which one I ripped first. So, I decided to rip them both again. I have three different hashes. I don't think I've used the original card since I created an image of it. Any thoughts on why it might have changed?

Original Unaltered Image:
MD5: 2979ac3fbe83900bf2f6d7e9bd9ea875
SHA1: 14b222014bee3ee288f45220185db299236d42ee
CRC32: 0f80ef5b

Image 1 (I think this was my original card):
MD5: aee161a2eb04f8e24b3e484c1994d529
SHA1: 0a5877f83607dcd877dc5663bdb3f35479a56269
CRC32: 8a7342ee

Image 2:
MD5: bc43af2cf5fb8003fdbe3934c97be1e8
SHA1: fd86cd15760ffa231ff9d44170c0d07977e30ac1
CRC32: 787895a5

ack

Ninja Combat Warrior
15 Year Member
Thanks man, I'll add that.

Can you get the individual partitions also?

Can a few other people do the same?
EDIT: MAKE SURE YOU'RE MOUNTING IT AS READ ONLY!

There are no partitions because the data directly off the card is scrambled.

-ack

Tacitus

Staff member
I haven't gone back and read, has anyone poked around in

/local/apps/update/update.bin

/mnt/memory/configfs.ext3
/mnt/memory/appfs.ext3
/mnt/memory/rootfs.ext3
/mnt/memory/uImage
/mnt/memory/mbr-uboot-msc.bin
boot-recovery
read command = %s, stats = %s, param = %s

The appfs.ext3 is the file(pseudo-filesystem) that is mounted as a read-only block device. The games (Ninja Master's) ships like this with this on the card. It also checks MD5 values on disk.

I took the time to full-text index and file carve the system over the past few days.

TurboRotary13b

Crossed Swords Squire
That's exactly the same type of adapter that I modified. It can be done. I provided pictures of it and some recommendations earlier in the thread. You need to cut out the center resin/plastic to make some room (the bar across the middle).

You have to use insanely small wires otherwise it wont shut. I tired it and got everything soldered up but couldn't get the damn thing fully shut. The micro sd wouldn't make contact with the internal pins.. FML.